Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|
Anonymous Insider

Does any one know of a transfer-proof liquid lipstick that isn't matte?

I don't think I've ever come across a transfer-proof liquid lipstick that isn't matte.

I've tried the Marc Jacobs Liquid Lipstick and the Sephora Luster Matte, but both do not dry down. 

Actually...now that I think about it, it doesn't even have to be liquid. It can be in solid form as well !

Thanks!

Re: Does any one know of a transfer-proof liquid lipstick that isn't matte?

@Anonymous I tend to agree with MariekeBT that non-matte formulas typically aren't very transfer-proof! So I don't think there are too many options out there.

But fortunately for you, I think we may be getting closer to finding something since the metallic lip trend seems to be more popular right now.

You've received lots of good ideas, so here are a few other thoughts I had that might help you get the look you're aiming for:

-What about a lip stain? Since you said you dislike oils, what about something like this marker-type one?

http://www.sephora.com/ink-jet-lip-tatt-P406067?skuId=1789759&icid2=products%20grid:p406067

-Or what about adding some glitter/shimmer powder to a liquid lipstick that you have that does dry down?

http://www.sephora.com/lip-mix-lip-pigment-P394225?skuId=1662352&icid2=products%20grid:p394225

http://www.sephora.com/lip-powder-P415645?skuId=1876796&icid2=products%20grid:p415645

-Metallic liquid lipsticks
I like the Anastasia ones - they have some metallic shades, like Sad Girl or Sugarplum

http://www.sephora.com/liquid-lipstick-P404831?skuId=1790773&icid2=products%20grid%3Ap404831

Colour Pop also has some - They are very metallic and do dry down. I typically find CP is too drying for me, but you might be fine with that. And they are affordable to try 🙂 

or Stila in Amore or Dolce

http://www.sephora.com/stay-all-day-liquid-lipstick-P374936?skuId=1440254&icid2=products%20grid%3Ap374936

You could also try some type of topcoat - Stila has a new one

http://www.sephora.com/glitterati-lip-top-coat-P416219?skuId=1905439&icid2=products%20grid%3Ap416219

Anonymous Insider

@lachaton

Thank you for your suggestions!

I actually just bought the Sephora Lip Powder and tried it. It is pretty long-lasting, though not exactly transfer-proof. A bit of rubbing does get it off, but it is relatively long-lasting. It applies a bit patchy though. Or maybe I just haven't gotten used to applying a powder on my lips. xD

That lip stain looks interesting! I've tried lip stains in the past during my teenage days and I agree, they did stay very well. It was just a bit drying. Perhaps I'll try that one!

I'll also test out some of the tricks you mentioned!

Have you ever tried the Lime Crime Matte Velvetines or Metallics? If so, how do you like it?

Hi @Anonymous, 

I find that it's a bit hard to find transfer proof lipsticks that aren't matte! I think that part of helping to be transfer proof is having the matte liquid as it really dries down and stays on the lips. 

That being said I've heard great things about Marc Jacobs Beauty Le Marc Liquid Lip Crème! It does have some transfer but many people have said it's long wearing. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

Maybelline has a line of long lasting liquid lipsticks that you seal with a balm as the second step that last for ages without transfer. It was like, 24 Hour Color Stay or something like that. I think they still make them. I used to have a couple when I first started wearing makeup. I was not the best about washing my makeup off at night (bad past me!) but I'm not even kidding that I would sometimes fall asleep, wake up, and walk out the door with yesterday's lipstick still on and wearing pretty well. The balm keeps it sealed and also gives a more satin finish to the lipstick. It's a good idea to reapply the balm periodically as it will keep your lips from drying out, keep the lipstick from flaking, and keep up that satin finish.

I recently tried lipsense lipstick (not sold by Sephora) just check out facebook I am sure you can find a distributer near you. It is super long lasting, doesn't transfer and you put a gloss over the lipstick (which is a shea base so you don't get the same stickiness you normally get from gloss).

Anonymous Insider

Oh yes, I've heard of that. Just never tried it. Maybe I should give it a try! Now that I think about it, I think Loreal had a long-lasting lipstick that was a 2-part application. I just haven't used it in a long, long time...it brings me back to my teenage days lol. I'm not sure if they sell it anymore. I think Loreal came out with new transfer-resistant lipsticks called "Infallible Pro-Last Lipcolor". I haven't tried that either, but it's supposed to be transfer-resistant. I think Rimmel makes a similar product as well. For some reason ever since I started hoarding higher-end products, I forgot about the drugstore ones. Who knows? They may be just as good!

Also, I just found out that the Touch In Sol Metallist lipsticks (new product sold at Sephora) are transfer-proof!! I just got a shipment from Sephora today and I swatched the sample tonight and it is smudge-proof! Very pretty metallic color.

@Anonymous

I think Marc Jacob has pretty good, long lasting transfer-proof lipsticks.

http://www.sephora.com/le-marc-lip-creme-P392352

NARS Audacious formula in Stefania & Apoline is a lovely lipstick that for me does not dry down to a semi-matte (like most Audacious lipsticks do); it's more of a satin finish.

http://www.sephora.com/audacious-lipstick-P387906

Chanel Velvet Matte Lipstick

Don't let the name fool you, this is not a typical matte lipstick. It has such a lovely finish and is very comfortable on the lips.Image result for chanel velvet matte lipstick

Blotting will always help.

Lip liner can help a lipstick cling to your lips longer.

Darker, brighter colours stain better.

Hope this helps..

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for answering!

Too bad most dark colors look bad on me. My lips look smaller than they already are (as in the width, not the fullness). Also, my skin is too light for it so I look too "goth". Bright lipstick is also generally not my thing. I prefer midtone colors.

I will try some of the products you suggested and see how it goes! 😃

I'm not sure if this would qualify as a true transfer proof, however the MUFE Aqua Rouge are matte then sealed with a gloss.  I know some people don't like the feeling of the gloss, but I've never minded it as I wear glosses just as much as lipsticks.  The gloss itself will come off, but the colour stays put quite well. it should be noted that the shade range isn't as amazing as some other lippies, but may be worth a go if you see a colour you fancy.

As some others have said, most lipsticks will transfer unless they are super matte. But I have found a few that don't transfer quite as badly and are still comfortable to wear. The Bite Amuse Bouche hold up pretty well, as do the Urban Decay Vice Cream and Comfort Matte formulas. You might also want to check out NARS and Marc Jacobs. While none of those are liquid lipsticks, the coverage and wear are better than some liquid lipsticks in my opinion. My favorite liquid lipstick formula is Kat Von D, but there are definitely some wear inconsistencies between shades. For me, Lolita 2 holds up the best and wears the least matte. I also put lip balm on underneath before putting any lip color on. 

Anonymous Insider

I'm fine with it as long as the transfer is very minimal. My holy grail transfer-proof liquid lipstick are the Kylie ones lol. Seriously, I had no idea they would be that good. It doesn't dry out my lips and stays put even through eating! Crazy. Have you ever tried the Colourpop ones (which I think are from the same manufacturer)? Are they just as good?

Even though there are some negative reviews about UD's new Vice Liquid Lipsticks, I actually like them! They don't apply as opaque as the Kylie ones, but they are still transfer-proof. I have one of the glitter ones and it also holds up pretty well.

I also like the "Always On" ones made by Smashbox. The texture is fluffier, but still generally transfer-proof.

In terms of bullet-type lipsticks, I like the retro-matte ones by MAC. They stay on really well and have no transfer, although it may get a bit drying. My other favorite is Givenchy Le Rouge. They hold up well, but are not really transfer-proof like the other ones mentioned above. I like how they are a satiny finish for the sake of variety. Since I also hate too-emollient lipsticks and any kind of oil on my lips, I also appreciate how these dry down on the drier side while not causing my lips to peel.

I was just wondering if there are transfer-proof(ish) satiny/glossy ones out there I haven't discovered. 😃

@Anonymous I haven't tried the Kylie or Colourpop liquid lipsticks, so I can't offer a review of them. I don't have any interest in the Kylie line, and I do have some Colourpop eyeshadows and love them, but I've heard mixed things about the quality of their lipsticks. 

Satiny/glossy ones will be harder to make transfer proof just by the nature of the formula. I think you'll have better luck with satin, for which I'd recommend again UD Vice Cream or Bite Amuse Bouche. 

The only transfer-proof liquid lipsticks that I'm aware of are the super matte ones. Transferring comes with the territory! Lip stains or tints would be your best bet when it comes to staying power + transfer-proof.

I don't have exact product suggestions but some lip pencils aren't too matte and don't transfer. I have the Kevin Aucoin that I like. I can't say it's not matte exactly but it's not as matte as a liquid lipstick.

@Anonymous

ALL lipsticks transfer....it is the nature of the product.  Some more, some less.

The only way colour doesn't transfer is if it dries down on your lips (loss of emollience, hence matte), or those that stain your lips well after the product has gone.  Of course, that would mean that product will still slightly transfer at first.

What about lipstick transfer bothers you?  It is not unusual.  In fact, non transferring lipstick is the odd man out.  There are many bullet style satin matte formulas that are long lasting (or staining), and transfer minimally.  All within "reasonable" limits.

Is this "makeout" proof transfer or just "coffee mug" transfer that you are asking about?

Anonymous Insider

I really don't like how it gets on cups nor how it gets on my boyfriend. I also don't like how a lot of lipstick smears or disappears when I eat. Then it looks bad and I have to reapply. 

For some reason I think it is gross when it gets on cups, especially at restaurants (or in public). Weird since I know it is "just lipstick". I just don't like leaving the residue behind lol.

My boyfriend won't kiss me (not even a peck) if I have "regular" lipstick on cause he doesn't want any to get on him. Honestly, I don't want to get any on him either.

So therefore, I have tons of transfer-proof lipstick in my stash, but they are all matte.They all work very well and don't budge very much at all while eating. I don't see how it is impossible to make one that isn't matte though because glossy wall/craft paint exists that dries down completely. Obviously, they are not made for the lips because of the chemicals (and probable discomfort), but I might be overlooking something?

Gem77 wrote:

I really don't like how it gets on cups nor how it gets on my boyfriend. I also don't like how a lot of lipstick smears or disappears when I eat. Then it looks bad and I have to reapply. 

For some reason I think it is gross when it gets on cups, especially at restaurants (or in public). Weird since I know it is "just lipstick". I just don't like leaving the residue behind lol.

My boyfriend won't kiss me (not even a peck) if I have "regular" lipstick on cause he doesn't want any to get on him. Honestly, I don't want to get any on him either.

Etc. ..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Gem77,

Actually, I agree with your complaints and the dilemas lipstick stains (and squeamish men) create. I CAN identify. Your stance and search for a cure are valid. I don't mean to imply otherwise.

But I see your problems from a different point of view....

Perhaps observations from an old lady (60 - who was quite something in her youth - maybe even now...) might offer some new, old or fresh perspectives:

1) I have NEVER met a man who was NOT lipstick-phobic, except for experienced (especially older or more sophisticated) men who have have learned to appreciate the well-placed stain of BEA-U-TI-FUL lips. IMO, acceptance of a lipstick mark improves with repeated exposure or when at home or when lipstick is applied in the evening or just before bed. I'd tell him to get used to being loved by a woman with such beautiful lips AND that he is lucky you find him so kissable. Buy him initialed handkerchiefs to wipe his face. (Maybe even tell him to man-up and get used to being loved....)

2) Or perfect the french air kiss on each side of the cheek when you both are self-conscious of leaving a mark. This can be just as sexy as a kiss if you embrace each other lightly and press or brush your chest against him a bit.

3) Place a perfect, tender kiss (with it's mark) in the center of his open hand and then gently close his hand. He can wipe it off (on his jeans, a tissue, etc.) or not. Let it be his problem.

4) Sometimes if I've got fresh lipstick or make up on, I tell my bf to kiss me on my head (meaning my hair). I recipricate. Voila! No lipstick mark on the hair! Kissing someone on the top of the head can feel very affectionate.

5) Part of the sexiness of lipstick is that it leaves it's mark - whether on a man or a glass or cup. Think of all the movies where lipstick on a glass said it all.... If the mark you leave on a glass or cup is messy or "icky," I suggest you practice improving your mark. Or getting a lipstick that isn't yucky (I've had to do that). Make that impression of your lips say, "A sexy woman was here."

6) Quickly, subtly blot your lips before a meal or drink. I believe this is the proper ettiquete anyway. For this you will need a pretty handkerchief (or a common tissue, napkin or papertowel).

7) The re-application or touching-up of lipstick is simply part of a woman's post-drink or meal ritual. That is why ladies use the restroom after a meal in public or check their lipstick with a compact quickly and subtly at the table.

I guess I'm saying you might want to look at a liptick mark a bit more like much of the world has, or does. Relax and enjoy your georgeous lips!

Again, this is offered respectfully and in no way diminishes the importance of your concerns or feelings.

I do not see my post as sexist, as many of the men who have taken to wearing make up likely will deal with the same lipstick issues you have brought up. It's just the nature of lipstick.

Most sincerely,

Sarah

P.S. I just thought of this. A woman I knew used to get her eyebrows and eyeliner "tatooed." Must not have been real tatooing because it would wear off and she'd get them re-done. Maybe something like this exists for lips....

So this is kind of gross but if you are worried about transfer on to a glass you can just subtly lick the section of the glass that you lips would touch. Sorry if this is super gross but it works for me!

Probably a lip tint would be the best option

Hi @Anonymous

If you post this in the Lipstick Playground I'm sure someone will have some great options for you 😄

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Lipstick-Playground/m-p/2020866#M18488

Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 25 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
testing