joeanne

Do you blot your lipstick?

I'm curious to see how many of you blot your lipstick?? I always have, because I don't like to end up with lipstick on my teeth, but sometimes I feel like I'm taking some of the color off too. And what about lip gloss? I think I read somewhere that you don't blot it, but then I'm afraid it will end up on my teeth! Then again, blotting seems to defeat the whole purpose of wearing a gloss. Any thoughts?

knadala

Re: Do you blot your lipstick?

(0) Hearts

Instead of applying lipstick the traditional (swiping it directly on my lips), I like to swipe it on my warm finger and dab that to my lips. There is less concentration of color in one area and you are automatically blending the color.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

No way that defeats the whole purpose of both. If you wear a lip primer and use a good liner you shouldn't have to worry about lipstick on your teeth. I've never had that issue.:smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

No way!  The only time I ever do is when I apply a bold color, like YSL's "Pink in Devotion", and follow Lisa Eldridge's tips on making it last longer (apply a layer, blot, then apply second layer).  I feel blotting takes the moisture and sheen out of any lipstick.  So, nope!

garnett

When I wear lipstick, I blot. Especially if I am wearing red or any other deep or bright color.  I do it for a couple of reasons.  If you apply lipstick, blot, apply again, and perhaps blot again lightly, you are laying down layers of pigment without making a thick and goopy layer of color that is more likely to smear and bleed.  Sometimes I use a similar colored lip pencil over my lips and then apply a light layer of lipstick over that.  I only blot that if I think it's needed.  I like Wayne Goss and this is a method he suggests.  It works for me.  I do like the "finger" trick and will have to give it a try.  Maybe in front of my husband.  roflmao

joeanne

(0) Hearts

Thanks. I like Wayne Goss too and that's what I've started doing - I've got to get a few more lip pencils in different colors because I do find they make a difference.

Be prepared if you try the finger trick in front of hubby! (Especially if it's red lipstick lol)

Titian06

I don't blot unless I put to much on and then I do more of a judicious dabbing rather than a true blotting.

I've never used the finger trick.  I just smile in the mirror.  It's very rare that there is lipstick on my teeth; usually when I've put too much on.

joeanne

(0) Hearts

LOL judicious dabbing - I like that!

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i don't blot, lipsticks don't seem to be as sticky as they were in the past, these days when i apply lipstick it stays put.

melissabt

Hi Joeanne,

I sometimes blot if its a matte lipstick or if I apply too much lipstick! It makes it sort of a stain.

<3 Melissa
ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I blot it when I want intense and lasting color (also use a lip brush to work it in). Yes you do take some color off so you should reapply if you want the intensity, which is why I only do it for special occasions where it counts.

I don't blot gloss. Usually I wear sheer gloss, but for bold gloss, I find the 100% glossy lips doesn't always come across as pretty in real life as in the glossy magazines. When I'm wearing bold gloss, what I do is first apply a lip pencil or lipstick in similar/matching shade, blot, then apply gloss on the center and smoosh my lips. This way I get a natural shine/pout that fades as it gets to corner of my lips.

joeanne

I like the lip pencil/gloss combo. That's something I will have to try!

arielaaaaaaaa

I only Blot my lipstick if i feel i put too much on. I usually am good about only putting a thin layer on and most to all of my lipsticks are matte so i don't need to blot. I don't wear lip gloss but i don't think your supposed to blot. 

And the only trick i've learned about not getting lipstick on your teeth is to use your finger and close your lips around it like a straw and then pull out. 

joeanne

Yeah, I think I get blot-happy some times. I'm a big fan of the finger trick too. Will have to use that more often!

melde

I never blot anything, and I rarely end up with anything on my teeth. I do prefer matte lipstick, though.

If I'm wearing something especially creamy, I might do the "stick my finger in my mouth" trick (lol... is there a nice way to say that?), which always seems to work.

joeanne

"Stick finger in mouth" - Yep - I've done that!  I think part of the problem is I'm wearing more creamy lipsticks where I used to wear mostly matte. Plus I've been wearing some lip glosses too and they are completely new to me! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melissabt
    • jennypenny1995
    • ChicDabbler
    • joeanne
    • beautylovingirl