lauriebos

DIY Matte lips - What am I doing wrong?

I tried to achieve a matte lips look with loose powder (LM translucent powder) over a tissu (and half a tissu) and when I removed tissu, the result is matte but all color seem to stay on the tissu instead of my lips. So, I'd like to get some trick to get this look without buying (again) other lipsticks. Thanks!!! :smileyhappy:

andyhtrieu

Re: DIY Matte lips - What am I doing wrong?

Do you press the tissue onto your lips? If you press it onto your lips, the color will transfer. Tilt your head back and let the tissue rest on your lips. Then, gently tap the powder over the tissue.

lauriebos

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thanks!!!! Am I ok to use a face powder brush?

andyhtrieu

Yes, that's what I use on other people :smileyhappy:

beauty4ashes

Try this trick so pigment isn't lifted off the tissue.  Take a fluffy loose blending eye shadow brush with very tiny amount of loose powder, tap gently directly onto tissue. Gently shake the tissue, the excess will drop off, the porous/fibrous areas will grab translucent pigment. Now, take the tissue, place over lips, then tap on loose powder while tissue rests on lips. If the tissue already has a light dusting of powder, it shouldn't adhere/stick to the lipstick oily pigment. Since you're trying to make a lipstick that isn't matte to matte, the original lipstick is naturally more emollient than a matte formula. This technique works for me as long as the lipstick I'm trying to matte or take out shimmer/sheen isn't already too sticky/tacky.

lauriebos

Thanks a lot! I will try it tomorrow for sure :smileyhappy:

beauty4ashes

@lauriebos

Another trick is to use blotting paper, lightly tap your lips before the tissue loose powder method especially if the lipstick is moist/slick. It should lift most of the surface oil without picking up too much pigment. The blotting paper will pick up pigment but not as much as the porous/fibrous tissue. What lipstick are you trying to make matte?

lauriebos

(0) Hearts

All my lipsticks, mostly dior, nars, bareminerals, chanel, lise watier... I'm so sad I just gave blotting papers I don't use to my co-worker :smileysad: 

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

@lauriebos

Oh...so the lipsticks you're using a fairly oily? Here's a trick that may sound weird, yet if your lipsticks tend to be the moisturizing types, I'd apply the lipstick with a LIPSTICK BRUSH.

Get a small flat plate, pick up the loose powder on a clean dry fluffy blending brush, TAP off the excess powder onto the plate (you'll need to do this several times to get a flat layer of loose powder) now using the LIPSTICK BRUSH you used, lightly dip the TIP to pick up loose powder pigment once.

Now, using the LIPSTICK BRUSH that already has lipstick PLUS loose powder, go OVER your lipstick WITH the brush + powder. You only want to do this with the TINIEST amount of powder, blend as if you were applying lipstick. Repeat the process until you reach the desired matte finish.

You're NOT loosing any lip color pigment this way! What's happening is your Mixing/Blending the loose powder with the lipstick. The final look will actually be better than the old tissue trick because the powder isn't sitting on the surface of the lipstick. 

This works best for the more moisturizing types of lipsticks because even if you did the tissue trick, the oils tend to absorb the powder then you're left with the original non-matte finish.

IF this doesn't work, the best thing to do is find a favorite color lipstick that's semi-matte or matte instead of stressing over trying to make something DYI work that you have to really struggle with to achieve what the lipstick wasn't suited to do.

lauriebos

Wow!!! Thanks you soooooo much. You're right, I have a lot of very moisturising ones and do not have any matte lipstick in my collection altrough I realy love this look. I want to try it this way before buying expensive matte ones. I have Bite beauty matte lip crayon and do not find it very matte, there is sill a little shine. Maby it is just me or all the matte lipstick are like that. 

beauty4ashes

@lauriebos

"...I have Bite beauty matte lip crayon and do not find it very matte, there is sill a little shine. Maby it is just me or all the matte lipstick are like that..." 

Matte lipsticks do come in different matte-finishes.' The pure matte has no shine/sheen. 

I love BITE BEAUTY lipsticks/crayons.  "Matte yet moist texture."  The "moist texture" gives it a bit of clear hint of shine that catches the light, so it's not the true flat matte look. BITE matte is what I'd go for when I used to take any pure matte, add a tiny bit of Vaseline just to catch the light...the reverse of what you're trying to do!

BITE would be the easiest to matte with loose powder of all the lipsticks you own since it has less oil than the others. So if you own a bunch of BITE, I would try working with this since you won't be fighting so hard to force a lipstick to do what it isn't supposed to do. 

MAC has a nice selection of Matte colors. I really love the MAC Retro Matte in 'Ruby Woo.' This is my absolute favorite matte RED lipstick...ever! It's a blue-red so it makes your teeth look really white. If you like orange-reds, 'Dangerous' in the Retro Matte collection is nice, 5 shades. Both these colors are very matte. The MAC Matte selection is much larger, 21 shades, these original "matte's"  I don't detect a shine with these like the BITE. 

lauriebos

You're soooo nice :smileyhappy: I will look for MAC ones for a real matte lipstick for sure!! And I will try with BITE beauty matte all tricks I got. I was very occupied in the last days and had no time to try DIY matte lips. 

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

@lauriebos

I love lipsticks...it's an obsession...a make-up addiction for me! I go overboard with lipsticks, I have a bunch of lipsticks just because of the packaging that I'll never use because they're like decorative pieces! 

Of all the brands I own, I always favor my MAC. And, it's actually the one of the least expensive of the all the lipsticks I own! 

Who could resist Guerlain 'Rouge G de Guerlain' Lipcolor with it's mirror casing! I did go a little mental with these when I first saw these in Nordstrom because I bought a bunch of shades yet never worn them! Too pretty!

Guerlain 'Rouge G de Guerlain' Lipcolor.jpg 

lauriebos

WOW!!! I totaly agree as I often buy makeup for is packaging.That's why I got at least 8 Dior addict lipstick in my purse all the time. I recently started to wear lipstick and it is becoming real addiction for me too as I'm not a eyeshadow type of girl. It is a beautiful way to color my days and still look young and professional. Thanks again for your precious help :smileyhappy:

SportyGirly125

[ Edited ]

@beauty4ashes

I don't think this was intended for me but I saw my name tagged

beauty4ashes

Sorry! It was meant for lauriebos!

miabt

[ Edited ]

Hi lauriebos,

I'd suggest applying 2 layers. Lipstick, dust, blot. Repeat!  That should keep the color :smileywink:

xo, Mia

lauriebos

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I already tried and the result is the same after 2-3 repetitions :smileysad: my lip ends mostly like I put liptick on for a couple of hours :smileysad:(

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 24 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • miabt
    • SportyGirly125
    • lauriebos
    • beauty4ashes
    • andyhtrieu
Photos1