ghkim

Bite Beauty Lab NYC

As requested, here is a mini documentary of my visit to Bite Beauty Lab! The store is located in Soho on Prince St. I arrived early and was able to score a custom color appointment easily; however, customers who arrived after me had to wait anywhere from 30 min to a couple of hours. I would recommend either calling ahead of time or coming early.

Bite 1.jpg

This is a view of the consultation area. You sit across from a MUA with a spread of colors between you, as well as a clean surface for mixing:

Bite 4.jpg

The lovely MUA (whose name I forget! I remember that she was from Senegal, that she wore MUD eyemakeup, and that she used to work for OCC, but for the life of me I can not remember her name!) introduced me to the four formulations: Luminous Creme, Matte Creme (?), Sheer Creme (?), and Creme Deluxe. The Luminous Creme is like the Luminous Creme lippies that they sell: satin finish, hydrating. The Matte Creme is supposed to have silica powder which makes it longer lasting. The Sheer Creme is sheer and hydrating, probably like the sheer lippies in their regular line. The Creme Deluxe has more antioxidants and is long lasting due to inclusion of Japanese silk and is therefore more expensive at 48$. The prior 3 are 36$. I decided to get a Creme Deluxe in a classic blue based red and a Luminous Creme in a pinky-peach my-lips-but-better shade. The MUA started mixing shades using a spatula on a clear surface:

Bite 6.jpg

The first mixture was too bold, the second too purple, and the third was just right. For good measure, I tried a fourth, but settled on the third. With each concoction, the MUA wrote down the proportions of the different ingredients:

Bite 8.jpg

After settling on both shades, I was asked to choose a scent. There was a scent station with cherry, wildberry, mint, vanilla, mango, citrus mango, and violet scented lipstick bases. I settled on citrus mango:

Bite 9.jpg

My MUA then pulled all the pigments for my lippies from a wall full of pigments in bon-bon sizes and shapes:

Bite 13.jpg

She then put them in a cup and added the appropriate lipstick base formulation as well as several drops of the scent I had chosen:

Bite 16.jpg

After melting the concoction in the microwave, she put the mixture in a centrifuge:

Bite 17.jpg

She then tested the shade against the shade we had mixed together at the consultation area. One of the shades was slightly off so she added additional pigment and then remelted/centrifuged:Bite 18.jpg

Once the shades were perfect, she poured them into lipstick molds:Bite 19.jpg

The lipstick molds were set on a cool surface and allowed to solidify. Afterward, she released them from the mold:Bite 21.jpg

Bite 23.jpg

She then got an empty housing and placed it carefully over the unmolded lippie:Bite 24.jpg

Then the lipstick was lidded and boxed:

Bite 25.jpg

The lipstick was placed in a box and labelled with my chosen lipstick names. It was placed in a plastic bag with a business card (red lip), advertisement card, and personalized lip card with my shade on it and the recipe on the back. I named my two lippies after my two kids:Bite 28.jpg

Here is the final result:Bite 30.jpg

I enjoyed my experience immensely and have to thank my dear friend Mary for giving me a 100$ gc to Bite Beauty Lab for Christmas. I would highly recommend this experience to those of you who would like to find the absolute perfect shade. The more expensive formulation (deluxe creme) is about the price of a Tom Ford, so probably not worth it unless you have a gc. The others are in the range of a Guerlain or Chanel, so for me, totally worth it, considering you are getting a perfect shade. I would swatch my lippies for you, but my lips are entirely exhausted from trying on so many shades. I hope this helps those of you nearby decide if you want to make the trip to Manhattan, and as for those of you who live far away, consider visiting (and making an appointment!) if you ever visit NYC!

nellag

Re: Bite Beauty Lab NYC

Wow, this is pretty cool. Thank you for sharing.

SweetXoXo

Fun! thanks for sharing.

mberteig

That was very cool!  Thank you for sharing your experience and the great photos!

katief241981

OK, so seriously wanting to do this on my next trip to NY.  Need more info!  How much does it cost?? You mentioned $100, is that to create the lipsticks then you buy them??  

ghkim

the matte, sheer, and luminous creme custom lipsticks are 36$ each, and the deluxe one is 48$. i had a $100 gift certificate, so bout one luminous creme and one deluxe. there is technically no separate consult fee. you just pay for the final product.

bisoubisou

This is amazing! A great excuse to make the trek over to Soho and then have lunch in Chinatown around the corner. How early did you get there? I wonder if it would be just as packed on a weekday.

ghkim

I went yesterday at 12:45 or so and it opened at noon. I think most days it opens at 11. You can also make an appointment ahead of time. They did mention that weekends are packed. 

msema

I love this idea!  Thanks for posting, I'm a New Yorker and had no idea they opened a store in Soho.  I want to go soon and create the perfect winter and spring lipsticks.  

DandyLionFluff

That is so cool!!!

lilahtov

ghkim, THANK YOU for sharing your experience! My question is, was the deluxe formula worth the extra $$?

ghkim

They say that the more expensive lip formulation has more antioxidants and japanese silk for lasting power. I'm wearing the luminous creme formulation today and am very satisfied with this formulation - long lasting, no drying, even application. For36$, it's totally worth it to me considering I like it better than the Guerlains and Givenchies that I've tried. I can't imagine how this could get so much better at 48$, so my initial impression is that it's probably not worth the extra cost. Also, I think 48$ for a lipstick is too much in general. Finally, I have regular Bite lipsticks and a cuvée (more expensive) one and the cuvée one doesn't seem any better to me than the regular luminous creme. So I guess for now I would stick to the less expensive formulation. 

Jandi

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

shortstuff07

That sounds amazing!  I'd love to do that if I'm ever in the area!  *Adds to dream make up vacation list*

PoesRevy

Very nice! Thanks for sharing your experience :smileyhappy:

katie1724

The experience sounds amazing, and thank you for sharing -- I really want to do it! :smileyvery-happy:

taylorkiryluik

OH MY GOD I absolutely need to go now that I've read/seen your post!

Thats incredible thank you so much for sharing your experience!

emmaclaire

OMG this is completely amazing!!!  I just showed my boyfriend and even he agrees this is totally cool.  Thank you so much for the wonderful write up and the great pictures, this has absolutely made me want to take a trip!!

Nicrohr

This is awesome thanks so much for sharing!!!

lsp2005

This sounds like such an amazing experience! I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing the experience. 

roxystar4

This is so neat! Love how you chose your lipstick names. Thank you so much for taking the time to take photos & write about your experience! I hope to go next time I go to NYC

katief241981

oh wow! I had no idea something like this existed.  i. want. to. go. NOW!!  :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 201 hearts
  • 47 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • lovinglondon
    • nikki
    • mberteig
    • killahbabe
    • lovelykatya