ghkim

Bite Beauty Lab NYC

As requested, here is a mini documentary of my visit to Bite Beauty Lab! The store is located in Soho on Prince St. I arrived early and was able to score a custom color appointment easily; however, customers who arrived after me had to wait anywhere from 30 min to a couple of hours. I would recommend either calling ahead of time or coming early.

Bite 1.jpg

This is a view of the consultation area. You sit across from a MUA with a spread of colors between you, as well as a clean surface for mixing:

Bite 4.jpg

The lovely MUA (whose name I forget! I remember that she was from Senegal, that she wore MUD eyemakeup, and that she used to work for OCC, but for the life of me I can not remember her name!) introduced me to the four formulations: Luminous Creme, Matte Creme (?), Sheer Creme (?), and Creme Deluxe. The Luminous Creme is like the Luminous Creme lippies that they sell: satin finish, hydrating. The Matte Creme is supposed to have silica powder which makes it longer lasting. The Sheer Creme is sheer and hydrating, probably like the sheer lippies in their regular line. The Creme Deluxe has more antioxidants and is long lasting due to inclusion of Japanese silk and is therefore more expensive at 48$. The prior 3 are 36$. I decided to get a Creme Deluxe in a classic blue based red and a Luminous Creme in a pinky-peach my-lips-but-better shade. The MUA started mixing shades using a spatula on a clear surface:

Bite 6.jpg

The first mixture was too bold, the second too purple, and the third was just right. For good measure, I tried a fourth, but settled on the third. With each concoction, the MUA wrote down the proportions of the different ingredients:

Bite 8.jpg

After settling on both shades, I was asked to choose a scent. There was a scent station with cherry, wildberry, mint, vanilla, mango, citrus mango, and violet scented lipstick bases. I settled on citrus mango:

Bite 9.jpg

My MUA then pulled all the pigments for my lippies from a wall full of pigments in bon-bon sizes and shapes:

Bite 13.jpg

She then put them in a cup and added the appropriate lipstick base formulation as well as several drops of the scent I had chosen:

Bite 16.jpg

After melting the concoction in the microwave, she put the mixture in a centrifuge:

Bite 17.jpg

She then tested the shade against the shade we had mixed together at the consultation area. One of the shades was slightly off so she added additional pigment and then remelted/centrifuged:Bite 18.jpg

Once the shades were perfect, she poured them into lipstick molds:Bite 19.jpg

The lipstick molds were set on a cool surface and allowed to solidify. Afterward, she released them from the mold:Bite 21.jpg

Bite 23.jpg

She then got an empty housing and placed it carefully over the unmolded lippie:Bite 24.jpg

Then the lipstick was lidded and boxed:

Bite 25.jpg

The lipstick was placed in a box and labelled with my chosen lipstick names. It was placed in a plastic bag with a business card (red lip), advertisement card, and personalized lip card with my shade on it and the recipe on the back. I named my two lippies after my two kids:Bite 28.jpg

Here is the final result:Bite 30.jpg

I enjoyed my experience immensely and have to thank my dear friend Mary for giving me a 100$ gc to Bite Beauty Lab for Christmas. I would highly recommend this experience to those of you who would like to find the absolute perfect shade. The more expensive formulation (deluxe creme) is about the price of a Tom Ford, so probably not worth it unless you have a gc. The others are in the range of a Guerlain or Chanel, so for me, totally worth it, considering you are getting a perfect shade. I would swatch my lippies for you, but my lips are entirely exhausted from trying on so many shades. I hope this helps those of you nearby decide if you want to make the trip to Manhattan, and as for those of you who live far away, consider visiting (and making an appointment!) if you ever visit NYC!

gogreyhound

Re: Bite Beauty Lab NYC

how fun and cool is that!? Thanks so much for sharing!! too bad I am in Nebraska....

nikki

This is amazing, I so want to do it!

laurennnlove

this would be even cooler if they engraved the name you came up with onto the case.  They make laser engravers that can do this!  This would allow you to either choose a computer font or write your name on a piece of paper and then have that written on the tube! like if you wanted to name it after yourself you could write your signature and then have that engraved! that would be super cool!  I just remember doing this at the baseball hall of fame when i was little. i put my signature on a bat (: hahahaha

laurennnlove

I am not even that into actual lipstick (I'm more a tinted lip balm, or stain girl) but this makes me really want to go there! that sounds like an awesome time! I want to do this with eyeshadow!! ahhh!

lovinglondon

I had no idea something like this existed. I'm so out of the loop. lol Thanks for the sharing! I would love to do this one day. 

tracygirl64

That is sooo cool! I really want to do this! Thanks so much for sharing! :smileyhappy:

manniface

This is now on my bucket list

myxducky

That looks like so much fun and seems like something to put on my to do list if I'm ever in the area.

emmamaybe

Whoa that is so fun!  My friend went there and said it was amazing!

drrragon

Was just drooling over all the gorgeous pics again and thought I might as well bump up this post! :smileyhappy:

marlenecol

Is it acceptable to make a trip to the city just for this experience (and some Shake Shack of course)?  This is probably the most comprehensive documentation of an experience at the lip lab that I have ever seen - so THANK YOU now I need to go catch a train.

ladymeag

I had a dream the other night about this place - thanks to this post, I'm sure. I dreamed that I made seven reds and seven plums and seven nudes/pinks and swore off buying lipstick forever. 

Now I have to go to NYC again, which I swore I didn't want to do. :smileytongue: 

crayzeeRN

Don't know how I missed this post when it first when up but

I. Am. SO. Jealous!!

Thank you so much for posting all the photos and description of your experience!

Nicrohr

*just stopping back by to say this is the best post of 2013 in my opinion (at least since I joined BT!) -- it was awesome of you to share/document this... and I am going to make an appt at Bite Lab when I go to NYC this summer for my friend's wedding.  Thanks again!

ghkim

Thanks so much! You are going to love it. And if you have trouble contacting them by phone try email - they are much more responsive that way. 

AthenaBolina

Oh that is so awesome!!!! I

jojobe

Thank you for posting and we can live vicariously through you! It looks like you had a ton of fun and it seems like an amazing experience. Maybe they will open more of these in major cities and someday I will be able to go.  

jxw200

i am so going!!! 

missrmessner

JoshCollierMUA posted a video documenting the entire experience for anyone who wants to see more about it. ghkim's review is very thorough gives just as much information as the video, but ti was cool to see it!!

lovelykatya

ahhh that looks like lots of fun!!!  thank you for sharing!!!

I think its just me but, I can't force myself splurging 36-48$ on a lipstick!!!!, but may be for experience - i'll consider!  :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 201 hearts
  • 47 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • lovinglondon
    • nikki
    • mberteig
    • killahbabe
    • lovelykatya