Bite Beauty Lab NYC

As requested, here is a mini documentary of my visit to Bite Beauty Lab! The store is located in Soho on Prince St. I arrived early and was able to score a custom color appointment easily; however, customers who arrived after me had to wait anywhere from 30 min to a couple of hours. I would recommend either calling ahead of time or coming early.

Bite 1.jpg

This is a view of the consultation area. You sit across from a MUA with a spread of colors between you, as well as a clean surface for mixing:

Bite 4.jpg

The lovely MUA (whose name I forget! I remember that she was from Senegal, that she wore MUD eyemakeup, and that she used to work for OCC, but for the life of me I can not remember her name!) introduced me to the four formulations: Luminous Creme, Matte Creme (?), Sheer Creme (?), and Creme Deluxe. The Luminous Creme is like the Luminous Creme lippies that they sell: satin finish, hydrating. The Matte Creme is supposed to have silica powder which makes it longer lasting. The Sheer Creme is sheer and hydrating, probably like the sheer lippies in their regular line. The Creme Deluxe has more antioxidants and is long lasting due to inclusion of Japanese silk and is therefore more expensive at 48$. The prior 3 are 36$. I decided to get a Creme Deluxe in a classic blue based red and a Luminous Creme in a pinky-peach my-lips-but-better shade. The MUA started mixing shades using a spatula on a clear surface:

Bite 6.jpg

The first mixture was too bold, the second too purple, and the third was just right. For good measure, I tried a fourth, but settled on the third. With each concoction, the MUA wrote down the proportions of the different ingredients:

Bite 8.jpg

After settling on both shades, I was asked to choose a scent. There was a scent station with cherry, wildberry, mint, vanilla, mango, citrus mango, and violet scented lipstick bases. I settled on citrus mango:

Bite 9.jpg

My MUA then pulled all the pigments for my lippies from a wall full of pigments in bon-bon sizes and shapes:

Bite 13.jpg

She then put them in a cup and added the appropriate lipstick base formulation as well as several drops of the scent I had chosen:

Bite 16.jpg

After melting the concoction in the microwave, she put the mixture in a centrifuge:

Bite 17.jpg

She then tested the shade against the shade we had mixed together at the consultation area. One of the shades was slightly off so she added additional pigment and then remelted/centrifuged:Bite 18.jpg

Once the shades were perfect, she poured them into lipstick molds:Bite 19.jpg

The lipstick molds were set on a cool surface and allowed to solidify. Afterward, she released them from the mold:Bite 21.jpg

Bite 23.jpg

She then got an empty housing and placed it carefully over the unmolded lippie:Bite 24.jpg

Then the lipstick was lidded and boxed:

Bite 25.jpg

The lipstick was placed in a box and labelled with my chosen lipstick names. It was placed in a plastic bag with a business card (red lip), advertisement card, and personalized lip card with my shade on it and the recipe on the back. I named my two lippies after my two kids:Bite 28.jpg

Here is the final result:Bite 30.jpg

I enjoyed my experience immensely and have to thank my dear friend Mary for giving me a 100$ gc to Bite Beauty Lab for Christmas. I would highly recommend this experience to those of you who would like to find the absolute perfect shade. The more expensive formulation (deluxe creme) is about the price of a Tom Ford, so probably not worth it unless you have a gc. The others are in the range of a Guerlain or Chanel, so for me, totally worth it, considering you are getting a perfect shade. I would swatch my lippies for you, but my lips are entirely exhausted from trying on so many shades. I hope this helps those of you nearby decide if you want to make the trip to Manhattan, and as for those of you who live far away, consider visiting (and making an appointment!) if you ever visit NYC!

Re: Bite Beauty Lab NYC

(0) Hearts

so wonderful!

Instead of creating my own thread I thought I'd post here! Typing on my phone so this will be short Smiley Happy

I made an appointment after my lunch reservation at the Laduree in Soho, and left hubby to wander the blocks while I was at the Lip Lab. The tech assigned to me wasn't very enthusiastic or friendly but I was there for the lipstick, not the service I guess!  

I had two colours made: one to enhance my natural lip colour as well as a purplish red. The tech got my lip colour in one try and I was very impressed. This is MY nude lip colour! It is a mix of 1/2 Pepper, 1/4 Rose and 1/4 Musk. I got the citrus mango scent for this, which is the same as their matte lip pencils. 

The second took a few trials and it wasn't what I had in mind but I opted for a more wearable purple vs a dark plummy purple which would probably end up looking too vamp to wear often. A few of them looked perfect on the sheet but completely off (typically too fuchsia or too red) when on my lips. Finally I decided on one that was the closest to what I have been looking for a long time, Guerlain Rouge G in Gigolo (which is probably long discontinued). It ended up being 1/4 Violet HPP, and 1/8 each of Mulberry, Tannin and Rhubarb. It is vanilla and violet scented. 

Here re they are, chilling:

My sheet when we were done. The purple I went with is the smallest square:

and swatches:

lip swatches. Excuse my gross greasiness. I just took these before cleansing my face and calling it a night!

My photos are not the most accurate for colour. The bathroom photos are taken in the apartment we're staying in and it has some intense fluorescent lighting!

I was worried that my custom purple would be too close to Barberry but luckily Barberry is noticeably more purple, brighter and cooler. Phew! Here is custom purple on the right and my backup Barberry, that I opened just to swatch beside the custom colour, on the left. 

So so while my experience wasn't the most amazing (with the tech) overall it was fun and worth it. I will enjoy the colours I created, since they will both be very wearable for me, especially the MLBB shade!

(0) Hearts

This is total makeup p0rn and I can't stop looking at your pictures. Thank you so much for all of the pics and details. I feel like I was there with you. So fun! I hope the open one here in LA one day. I would love to do this!!

(0) Hearts

Interesting to hear about your experience.  Personally, I think having a cold tech would really turn me off.  For me it would be just as much about the experience as it would be about the lippie itself (just thinking this could be a fun idea for a bachelorette party if only I were in NY or if when I get engaged all my maids want to travel).  So it sounds like they mix existing shades together vs. starting 100% from scratch if I'm hearing you correctly.

(0) Hearts

Yes, they mostly use pigments from their existing collection but there are also basic colours like blue and yellow and white. Some colours are named but I have never heard of them before. Like "Garnet", a bright pinky coral which is supposedly very close to Crush from the lip cream line. 

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue with the tech that helped me when I went last month. Maybe we had the same one. What you said about her being able to match the color of your lips rings true for me, too-- my tech got my natural lip shade spot-on, first try. Too bad she was so cold. Like you said, though, I was there for lipstick!

LOVE that berry color. Very unique. It seems most berries tend to lean vampy or violet, but you got that perfect midtone.

I ended up making a red-orange and a MLBB. The red-orange actually looks a lot like the photos I've seen on BT of Mimosa, which is a bit of a bummer, but hey.

FullSizeRender (51).jpg

I like the colors you made! I think that with so many colors in the lipstick world, it would be difficult to make something completely unique unless you go for a weird shade like...mustard yellow. Or puke green. 

We very well may have had the same tech! She wasn't unfriendly or rude but any effort on her part to be friendly just seemed really fake...every time I gushed about how much I love Bite's products, or tried to talk to her about the current line of products, it felt like I was a giddy teenager meeting an idol who is apathetic about the fans!

That's EXACTLY what it was like we my tech. I tried to talk about BITE products, too. No go. Had to have been the same person...... unless all of them are that cold.

(0) Hearts

Did her name happen to start with a P?

Nice! I went this past April and made a raspberry and red color. I think when I go back in December I'll do a nude lip in the matte formula if it's like the matte from frozen berries and maple. 

Beautiful shade choices! 

What an experience! This is on my makeup bucket list! 😀

Very cool! Those were some great choices for your bespoke shades Smiley Happy

I now want to go back and have them make your custom purple for me!

I wish this store was available in Canada. They are a canadian company, after all.

I was inspired by this thread to make my own visit to the Bite Beauty Lab when I visited New York … in April. But better late than never, and since I had a slightly different experience than ghkim, I decided to post my own photos and review. Since her pictures are so similar to most of mine (except hers are better quality), I've tried to keep my own photos to a minimum.

For reference, here's the lipstick I created next to Bite's High Pigment Pencil in Zinfandel. My lipstick ended up being 75% Zinfandel, 25% yellow. While I can't see a color difference between the two, the real difference is in the finish. My custom lipstick is a true matte finish instead of the matte-creams that Bite normally sells. Also, I find applying the lipstick to be much easier than the pencil. I chose the citrus scent, as it's so unusual for a lip product. Eight months on, the scent is still there.

Bite's website was unclear about how to make an appointment. In fact, it's walk-in only; you can't make a real reservation. However, you can add your name to the waiting list. When I called in the morning, they said there were seven people ahead of me and gave me an estimate of when they'd be ready for us. They took my name and said they'd call when they were ready, and we'd have 15–20 minutes to make it to the shop. This worked out for us, since we were going to be in the neighborhood anyway, but it could be a hassle for others trying to get in. Also, several people stopped by during our appointment to try and get in. I think they took a few names but turned away the later ones, as they were fully booked.

It looks like a candy shop. And theoretically, since they use food-grade ingredients, you could munch on a ball of lipstick pigment ...

(Super blurry, but you get the idea.) The shop is very narrow but goes back a good amount. There are two stations to create a custom lipstick (I treated my friend, Molly, whom I was visiting), and the back of the shop has regular Bite products for sale. Some people came in just to buy the regular products. Something that was fairly annoying is that they wouldn't let us use their bathroom … I just spent a pretty penny on lipstick; we're not random people off the street.

Our lipstick concoctions. Since I was familiar with the brand, and I already had the Zinfandel pencil, I went in knowing what I wanted. However, Molly wasn't as sure, and she said she wishes her lipstick technician had given her a bit more guidance. I told my tech, Brooklyn (I'm 80% positive that's a nom de lipstick), that I had Zinfandel and liked the color but wished it had a matte finish. He basically created a matte Zinfandel lipstick, which I'm very happy with. However, Molly knew she wanted a red, but her tech ended up having to create three colors until she found one she liked. However, both techs were polite throughout the whole process. We were there about 45 minutes and never felt rushed.

Brooklyn carefully removing my lipstick. I asked why they made two, and he said it's in case one is damaged in the process. I asked what happens to the other one if the first isn't damaged (since they put both of them in tubes) but didn't get an answer … does that mean the techs sneak out with pockets full of custom lipsticks? Smiley Wink

The techs create a little doodle with your custom color. The unfortunate thing about mine was that Brooklyn didn't put it in a plastic envelope like Molly's tech did, so mine got smudged. Molly gave me a baggie to store my card in instead, but it's not in good enough condition to display. I also wish that he'd written down the formula for my lipstick like Molly's tech did. Luckily, he told me, so if I'm ever back at the lab and I've run out of my original, they can make me another.

The finished product. The lipsticks were $36 each. You can see that my card smudged and now I have lipstick on my teeth—that hit a bit close to home. They put each lipstick in a box, but didn't give us the option to name them like ghkim got to. Well my name's Liz, so I declare this lipstick Lizstick.

An amazingly unflattering photo of me shortly after we left the lab. Yikes, I promise I've gotten that undereye situation under control since then. Sephora bills Zinfandel as an "electric coral," which in regular English is "bright orange-red."

Thank you, ghkim, for writing about your experience, which encouraged me to visit the Bite Beauty Lab myself. I'd definitely recommend it, just make sure you research a bit before you go so you don't get overwhelmed by the options, and make sure your tech encloses your card in plastic!

how fun and cool is that!? Thanks so much for sharing!! too bad I am in Nebraska....

This is amazing, I so want to do it!

this would be even cooler if they engraved the name you came up with onto the case.  They make laser engravers that can do this!  This would allow you to either choose a computer font or write your name on a piece of paper and then have that written on the tube! like if you wanted to name it after yourself you could write your signature and then have that engraved! that would be super cool!  I just remember doing this at the baseball hall of fame when i was little. i put my signature on a bat (: hahahaha

I am not even that into actual lipstick (I'm more a tinted lip balm, or stain girl) but this makes me really want to go there! that sounds like an awesome time! I want to do this with eyeshadow!! ahhh!

You must be signed in to add attachments
  • Bite 1.jpg
  • Bite 4.jpg
  • Bite 6.jpg
  • Bite 8.jpg
  • Bite 9.jpg
  • Bite 13.jpg
  • Bite 16.jpg
  • Bite 17.jpg
  • Bite 18.jpg
  • Bite 19.jpg
  • Bite 21.jpg