Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

Anyone else have an allergic reaction on their lips to Bite Beauty products? I know they have all natural ingredients, which is why I'm perplexed. I've tried two different products from them and end up with eczema-like cuts on my lips.

Re: Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

Alas... I'm extremely bummed. I'm definitely allergic to beeswax, so I've had to avoid Bite for ages which has been hugely depressing. But with the Liquified Lipstick release I was like "AHH YES FINALLY I CAN USE BITE".

Got one. Tried it yesterday.

Yesterday evening, the itchy was strong and swelling started.

Today, folks with fillers would be jealous. 

Tomorrow and for the next few days I'm expecting the inevitable cracking and peeling.

*cries internally*

Edit: Ingredient discrepancy noted between Bite website and sephora/box. I think the Bite website might just be showing the amuse bouche ingredient list for the liquified lipstick, but I'll contact Bite and confirm that beeswax is not in fact in it. 

Edit 2: Bite got back to me and confirmed the liquified lipstick has no beeswax! I guess there's something else I'm allergic to in it. Sigh... I guess Bite's officially the only brand on my "can't buy" list. (well that and Burt's Bees 😛 )

I find I'm fine with rheir lip products. I did have a bit of reaction with lips drying out with multisticks...but the mask wow. I used it for about a week and got a bunch of bumps forming so I stopped using it and am still fine using the lip products.  I wonder what is in the mask?? 

@melanito The lip mask is mostly lanolin. Perhaps you are allergic to lanolin?

Ohmygoodness, I'm so glad I found this thread. I've had 3 instances in which my lips are burnt, peeling like crazy, swollen and sensitive. I'm realizing that it must be an allergic reaction to The Amuse Bouche 😞 I've been using this line of lipsticks for a year and never had a problem before so I'm wondering if I developed a secondary allergy. Vaseline has helped but very very so slow to heal. I'm going to reach out to Bite. I have so many lipsticks from them and love that they are all natural, love the colors and texture. So sad! 

Over the past few years I developed a number of allergies, including one to propolis, which is a resin that is naturally found in beeswax. Some products with beeswax are a problem for me and others are not .. it depends on how well the wax was processed  and filtered. Bite products have always make my lips swell and blister.

This type of allergy is something that develops with repeated exposure. (Beekeepers even develop it!)

I think it's also important to remember that "natural"  does not always equate to "safe". It's a word that is thrown around a lot in product marketing but there really isn't anything regulating what is considered natural and what is not.

Heartbroken that I probably won't be able to enjoy the HOF lipstick that Sephora has generously gifted to their Hall of Famer members even when it does arrive in Canada... can't decide if I should give the Amuse Bouche formula a shot, give it away, or simply keep in its box, never to be opened...

Well, it finally happened to me too. I don't know which Bite product caused it because I wear so many, but it looks like I have to go lipstick free for a while. 

Could it be that older products "turn" and can cause irritation?

@purly That is possible, but I was reacting to a lipstick that was less than 6 months old :too ( I recently gave away all of my Bite products, it seemed like every formula caused the same reaction. I've tried the lip mask, high pigment lip pencil, lip crayon, old crème formula, LLLR formula, old Buttercream formula... no difference.The last reaction I had was so bad my lips felt blistery and super, super dry...and I do not suffer from chapped lips at all. It took a whole week before the old skin peeled off and I felt really self conscious when talking to others! Was not a fun week!

The thing weirding me out is that I haven't had this problem until now. I've been using Bite lip products almost exclusively for months with no issue until now.

I was using Bite products for about 3-5 months before I developed a reaction. 

I wonder if these reactions are triggered by the citrus in the lipstick and sunlight? A lot of peoples' reactions sound similar to phototoxicity with essential oils. I wouldn't think that concentrations would be enough to cause reactions, but who knows. Do you live in an area where your exposure to sunlight changes dramatically with the seasons? Like maybe it's not enough sun exposure fall through spring, but summer is enough?

It definitely sucks for whatever reason it's happening. I would be so heart broken if I started to experience this with my Bite collection. @purly

@snoflakefaerieThank you for this explanation because I have used Bite products for years, and only twice this summer I had this type of reaction where my lips got something like blisters, but this only happened when I was on vacation where it was sunny both times so maybe that is what happened. I thought it might have been something about the heat, but maybe it was the sun and the oils causing the reaction.

We get more sunlight here in the summer obviously (number of hours) but it didn't matter if I tried in winter or summer, the reaction is pretty much the same. 

I figured it was a long shot. It's very interesting to me that people can use the lipsticks for a bit but develop an issue with them after time. I'm sure there are multiple things that can cause a reaction for people, but I wonder what type of ingredient people get sensitized to. I feel like that's even worse than having an immediate reaction! 

I live in Texas and I get enough sun in the summer to power all my electronics off a small solar panel and some rechargeable batteries, so you could say more sun exposure varies indeed 🙂

I am definitely heartbroken since I own like 30 Bite lipsticks at this point. I'm trying to decide if I should give them a try again after I heal or give up completely. I guess I could put them away until summer is over.

I own something like 200 lipsticks, so I'll probably sort through my collection and switch to non-Bite products soon.

At least you have some alternatives! 🙂

I have been wearing lip stuff since the 1970s. I discovered Bite lip color last year. I couldn't speak highly enough about it. I bought lots of their products for myself and as gifts. I haven't been consistent in wearing the color; however, I used the lip mask regularly and it seemed fabulous. Eventually my lips became, it is difficult to describe, it was chapped but differently than what I would get from sun and wind. I had used the lip primer a few times, too. I couldn't discern what was causing my problem since nothing felt irritating as I wore it. I had also added some high end skin treatments recently. I stopped everything in order to prevent further lip problems, if any of the products were the cause. My lips were not healing quick enough. It really had me baffled. It was Blistex, the old fashioned one, that finally healed my lips. Then I decided to add products back in, one by one. I tried the lip primer. After a couple times, it seemed to be the culprit so I stopped using it.  2 weeks later, I added the lip mask. Yikes! In 24 hrs. and 3 minimal applications, my lips were like sunburned. I really wish to learn what is in those products that caused this reaction. They were instant favorites, which was a very long time coming for me. I stocked up on other Bite Beauty products, I pray they don't cause the same problem. 

Yes! I had really bad allergic reactions to their products! I've never experienced something like that before it was sooo horrible! Nothing medicated would make it feel better! The MAC lip conditioner was actually what healed my lips

Anonymous Insider

I am glad I'm not the only one. I just realized I'm allergic to BITE crayon lipstick.  I just wore it for one day and my lips feel lip they are sunburned. They are rough, swollen, sting and will peel in the next few days I'm sure. They only other product that does that to me is Burt's Bees lip balm. My skin has become very sensitive in the last couple of years and it seems my makeup is not agreeing with me. I do love BITE lip pencils but apparently, we are not a good match. 

Spoiler

uI had to stop using them too. Always wore lipstick and never had a problem but then I just started wearing Bite. I loved the product. Then I had severely chapped lips and all I can wear now is petroleum jelly! I had to go to the dermatologist about a year ago for it and every time I regress and try to wear the lipstick (I mean that stuff's all I got now) I immediately have chapped lips again. 

Anonymous Insider

I also experienced a terrible allergic reaction to the Bite Beauty products. Never in my life have I ever experienced an allergy to anything before.

My lips immediately swelled up, went tingly, numb and after a day were severely cracked to the point they would bleed. They then continued to peel for about a month until they completely healed. Its disappointing because I love the color. 

I have several friends that have experienced the same. I think the product needs to be taken off the shelf and tested before they continue to sell.

testing