Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

Anyone else have an allergic reaction on their lips to Bite Beauty products? I know they have all natural ingredients, which is why I'm perplexed. I've tried two different products from them and end up with eczema-like cuts on my lips.

Re: Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

It's probably to one of the oils. I had a bad reaction to the agave lip mask 😞 Had little bumps all over my top lip and they went away a few days after I stopped using them. Took another few days to heal. 

However I've used their amuse bouche lipstick and been fine! Not sure what ingredient it is that I'm allergic to.

Thanks for the detailed info, I'm having the exact same t...

Thanks for the detailed info, I'm having the exact same thing, just a few bumps on upper lip. I stopped using the mask immediately after I noticed, and hopefully will be back to normal in a few days, like you.

I think the ingredient that causes the reaction is beeswax! I have eczema and when I use bite beauty products with beeswax- multistick and the new lip pencils I had a really bad reaction. My lips got blisters and chapped and it was very painful. If you google Eos allergy you'll see lots of posts of people with the same reaction to their lip balm and the common ingredient seems to be beeswax. 

For those of us with sensitive skin you think natural products would be better but actually many give me reactions. I also can't use natural deodorant if it has baking soda as I get a rash.  

Many people have a lanolin allergy, which is why so many are reacting to the lip mask, which is mostly lanolin. There's definitely something else though, because I'm fine with the mask, all 3 pencil formulations, and glosses, but I've had allergic reactions to their AB lipsticks and a couple of their other products. 

Yes, yes, yes! I can't stress enough how lanolin is a strong irritant yet so infrequently discussed. I recently tried Lanolips balm (almost 100% lanolin) and it gave me a rash.

I use the agave lip mask at night and this is the third morning I've woke up to almost blister like sores on my bottom lip. I kept thinking it was from my dogs until I googled "allergic reactions to agave" and found this page. 

It could also be the castor oil. I can't use bite beauty or anything with castor oil on my lips. I get blisters that turn into cold sores within one day. 

I noticed I get cracks in the corner of my lips when I wear the multi-stick on my lips and thought it was just because it's on drier side. ...because I have no problem though with it on  my cheeks.  Maybe it's because the skin is thinner ..kinda reminds me of what my lips do when I eat pineapple

So now I'm interested to know if anyone here had this type of allergy before using Bite products?  Why this one?  I've never had a reaction on my lips until Amuse Bouche and now I can't wear any lipstick at all. 

@Scarrie1s How long has it been since you last wore a Bite product?

In my experience, I also couldn't wear lipstick for awhile after reacting to Bite products. I was off regular lipsticks for over 6 months. During this time, I was still able to wear liquid lipsticks no problem, once I stopped using any sort of lip colour for a few months to let my lips heal.

It's been 9 months since I last started wearing regular lipsticks again (I was curious and decided to try one day) and I haven't had any reactions since, even if they did cause a reaction during the time my lips were still healing from the Bite reaction. I even tried Bite again, but my lips reacted immediately so I decided not to push my luck.

I never had the reaction before Bite products. Now I've reacted to their entire line PLUS a L'Oreal glossy balm.

Another update! I noticed the Bite Beauty Amouse Bouche Lipsticks had no Lanolin so I gave the shade Thistle a try. Oh what a beautiful color. I WISH it worked. The very next day, I woke up to eczema on my lips again. Today is day 3 without the lipstick and my lips are still recovering. So lanolin is out. What on earth am I allergic to in these? Bye Bite Beauty 😞 so sad

Glyceryl Rosinate causes skin reactions in some people. It's a food safe ingredient, so in theory it should be fine on your lips, but if you're getting it on the edge of your lips where your lips touch your skin then you might be having problems there. Bite seems to be using some sort of natural form of it, but still.

I can't say for sure that's your problem, but considering it's the second most used ingredient in the formula, that's my best guess. Do you have reactions to their multistick at all? Because it's not in that formula.

Thank you! I used a sample of the colorless one and loved it- got the full size. Then started using the champagne and felt chapped and dry but thought it was just regular chapped lips. Then the smashed really set my lips off. I figured it has to be something in the colored formulas. 

Thanks @purly! I have the same reaction to the Agave Lip Masks. Now I'm too scared to try another product from Bite since these are 2 entirely different products with the same reaction. I saw another post below about Monk Fruit Extract. So many ingredients that could be culprits...

Yeah it's in the lip mask too, if you're using the champagne color.

NCBI article 15513825 explains why if you care.

Interesting! I get it from all colors of the lip mask, tried all 3 in a whole-hearted effort lol. Thanks so much!

The only one it's not in is the colorless one.

That's where my reaction started - the original reason for the post 😞

Amuse Bouche - burning and razor thin lines on lips within an hour, itty-bitty hives by the end of the day. Overtime, cold sore like spots that I even went to see the dr. for!  Thanks to OP.  Nice to have figured this out, although sad to say good-bye to my Bite products.

I am so happy I have found this article! I was having issues with my lips too and I thought it was from the weather changing. Then I relised it was from the lipstick! Its kind of like the EOS ones, I would use it for a month or two then all of a sudden my lips cracked at the corner and getting super sore and red 😞 I'm really sad about it because I love how moisturizing they were and the colours but now I have to throw away two lipsticks! They are kind of expensive too. So that sucks too. Thanks for letting vent lol

testing