Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

Anyone else have an allergic reaction on their lips to Bite Beauty products? I know they have all natural ingredients, which is why I'm perplexed. I've tried two different products from them and end up with eczema-like cuts on my lips.

Re: Bite Beauty - Allergic Reactions?

I'm de-lurking for the first time because this happened to me, and I couldn't find any other mentions of it while it was happening!

I was using the Bite Lip Mask for at least a week or two when my lips became irritated and puffy. Out of ignorance and/or denial, I thought that putting MORE of the product on my lips would help keep them moist. I wasn't until I stopped using the product, and just switched to Vaseline, that the swelling went down and my lips cleared up. It was kind of traumatic! I didn't know this happened  to anybody else.

Up until then, that was the only product allergy that I had ever experienced. Just a little bit later, I had a similar experience with Perricone's No Foundation Serum. I had been using the product for at least a month when suddenly, my eyes swelled up nearly shut. I assumed it was whatever mascara/eyeliner/eye shadow I was using, and tossed them all. Then a few days later, after the swelling had gone down, and I put the Perricone on again, I swelled up again. After ditching the Perricone, I've not had a product reaction since.

So unexpected, I know! I haven't had other issues either, but good to know about the Perricone! Did you notice if there were any common ingredients in the 2 products?

Not to Bite, but to another brand of lipsticks.  It is really uncomfortable and frustrating, I "feel your pain."  I ended up having to take allertec because it wouldn't go away on its own.

Wow, hopefully it just goes away with vaseline again this time for me. Definitely uncomfortable but thankfully I noticed the reaction right away this time. Thanks!

Wanted to let you all know that I wrote directly to Bite Beauty through Instagram to see if they already know about the issues people are having and if there is anything they will do about it in the future. Will let you know if they respond. Thanks!

It's good that you reached out, but they probably won't change anything.  Especially if what you're experiencing is a lanolin allergy--lanolin is a common ingredient in moisturizing lip products.  Your best bet is to read labels carefully.  I believe Bite uses a higher amount of that ingredient since they don't use petroleum products, which is why some people have reactions to this brand and not others (Burt's Bees, off the top of my head, also uses lanolin, but not nearly as much).

Thanks JennBeth. Yeah, I don't know if it's for sure a lanolin allergy, but it's certainly possible. I figured I would at least let them know that this is something people are experiencing, if they didn't know already. (If I had a company like that, I would want to know). Never had this experience before but I will be paying attention to those ingredients in case it happens again!

I know what you mean.  I developed an awful allergy to Tide laundry detergent (I still don't know what specific ingredient), after I had used it just fine for months.  It took so long to find the culprit, and then I felt betrayed!  Allergies stink.  Especially when they're only triggered sometimes, or after prolonged exposure.

Exactly, very strange!

I had a terrible reaction to the Lip Mask, but so far I've had no issues with their lipsticks. I think it might be the amount of lanolin in the mask, but I can't be sure. I know others have had similar issues.

agave itself is a not uncommon allergen, too

Thanks kethry, I really had no idea! I've never experienced an allergy from a lip product before.

Hi greenporchlights! Yes, I was wondering about that lanolin! I really wonder if Bite knows that some people have bad reactions to their products...I'd like to let them know. I also had a reaction to the Lush Lip Tint from a few days ago...still recovering.

Your allergic reaction sounds very similar to mine. I got a  very bad contact dermatitis-type of chapping on my lips that no treatment would resolve. When I finally realized what was causing it I was so bummed. I love Bite. 😞

Oh, and I had even worse reaction to the Agave Lip Mask. My lips swelled up nearly twice their size overnight. It was awful. I had to call in sick!

I woke up to this allergic reaction this morning. It was a comfort to find this thread and realize the mask had to be the culprit. I'm afraid to go to work because it looks so bad!

Wow, Grahamcrackers! You are not alone! I love the Bite color options too! So disappointing. My Agave Lip Mask definitely gave me a very bad reaction of painfully chapped lips. I wonder if Bite knows that some people are seriously allergic to their products...

If they weren't so growdy I would post the pics of my angry swollen lips. They were crazy!!

Natural products can still irritate the skin if you have an intolerance or allergy to the ingredients. My skin is really sensitive and it dislikes a lot of natural plant-derived oils. I get nasty breakouts from some of the most natural products on the market. It sounds like your skin isn't a fan of this particular brand.

Thanks TiffyRenee82! I don't know which ingredient my lips don't like in Bite Beauty, but there's got to be something.

Natural does not mean hypoallergenic, so I'm sure it's quite possible.

Anonymous Insider

Reminds me of "organic does not automatically mean pesticide-free."

testing