kimchikween

Bad habit of licking lips - need lip scrub recommendations

I find myself licking my lips a lot (unconsciously) especially on days I have a lot of meetings and am talking a lot.

I have a balm that I like, but think I need a scrub on the occasions where my lips are extra flaky.  Also, my natural lip color now is this purple-brown color (not sure it was always like that).  Like skin products, are there lip products that enhance lip color or is that just a permanent/genetic thing?

mpolansky

Re: Bad habit of licking lips - need lip scrub recommendations

(0) Hearts

I saw some mentioned the Lush lip scrubs... but the bubblegum one is worth mentioning again! Next on my list is the mint one :smileyhappy: works well and you can lick it off your lips after!

WhereYouStand

(0) Hearts

s1297183-main-hero.jpgI Like Fresh Sugar Lip Polish it's a more natural approach you just scrub on your lips once to twice a week in a small amount and wash off with a wash cloth easy peasy

invisiblebike

[ Edited ]

You know what, I think it's better to make your own. It's easy, cheap, and you know what's in it :smileyhappy:

A lot of these scrubs have added fragrances and essential oils that can irritate the lips. I just combine olive oil, honey, vaseline and brown sugar to make my own scrub, and it works just as well (if not better) than the stuff you can buy.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Second vote for the Bliss Fabulips scrub.:smileyhappy:

pinktorridora

My fave lip scrub is by Sara Happ. It's sold at Nordstrom and other specialty stores. I love the feel of it and its harsh but it works wonders!

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

Correction: it's NOT harsh!

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

Hmm...making a Nordstrom trip tomorrow so I will definitely check it out.  Thx!

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

My local store that carries it is having a special on her summer flavors, and the Sparkling Pink Grapefruit desperately wants to come home with me!

DTalksAll

I have the Fresh one & like. It's lasted me forever, but I only use it religiously in the winter. It is a little oily (from all the moisturizers) so I might look for something different when I run out. Then again, I rarely repurchase anything... I love trying new things 

NotCrocker

Honestly, making your own is really easy, really cheap, and really effective. I use a bit of sugar and enough coconut oil to form a loose paste. I scrub that over my lips (my bottom lip is the worst for flaking) in gentle, small circular motions then I rinse it off, apply a lip balm and am good to go. 

Spyski

I agree with @nebel! I have been using the LUSH Popcorn flavored lip scrub since its seasonal premiere Christmas 12, and they recently put it in stock all year around because they had so many people love the flavor! It literally tastes like buttery popcorn without the calories :smileywink: It's only 10 bucks and last about 6 months!

swfupload_5745742963994953406.jpeg

nebel

YES!  OMG and Mint Julips is my favorite.  Mint. Chocolate. Lip Scrub.  I basically eat it out of the pot.   I have the Bubblegum one right now, and it is good too!

veevali

(0) Hearts

Second the mint julips! That's my favorite. They really do last a long time to.

nebel

I don't think you can beat the lip scrubs from LUSH.  They are delicious and made of sugar so you can just eat them haha.

kimchikween

(0) Hearts

Alas - not one open nearby for instance gratification... (

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Kimchikween,

I have that habit as well!

You can try a color enhancing lip balm. Currently, we do not carry a lip product that permanently changes the lip color. However, I recommend the SEPHORA COLLECTION Color Reveal Lip Balm it add a pink pretty tint to the lips and adjusts to a unique shade of pink.

color reveal.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/color-reveal-lip-balm-P304833?skuId=1363134

<3 Melissa
lylysa

Sephora carries 4 lip scrubs:

Tarte Maracuja Lip Exfoliant (uses sugar, shea butter, maracuja oil/passion fruit extract to exfoliate, brighten, and give lips a conditioned anti-oxidant punch):

swfupload_7193093637886615706.jpg

Bliss FabuLips Scrub (uses sugar and walnut shell powder plus sweet almond extract, vitamins, shea butter and cocoa to tackle dry/flaking skin):

swfupload_1741863731740590683.jpg

Bite Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub (uses gentle jojoba beads plus resveratrol which is antioxidant rich, rice bran, and olive extract to condition):

swfupload_7500632352132859818.jpg

Fresh Sugar Lip Scrub (relies on sugar granuals, shea butter, vitamin E, plus jojoba seed extract and grape seed extract which is rich in vitamins):

swfupload_4603380946822415412.jpg

All these scrubs are effective and can be chosen based on preference for formulation, texture, or even for their yummy scents! Just as effective are DIY remedies, take a bit of table or tubinado sugar mixed with honey (a natural humectant that binds moisture and acts as an anti-microbial) and lightly buff lips. You can also substitute olive, grape seed, safflow, sweet almond, or coconut oil for the honey as well, even adding in crushed strawberries for a vitamin boost and touch of flavor. You can even use a gentle, soft bristled tooth brush to lightly polish lips or a warm, wet wash cloth and buff. The key is to use delicate pressure and not overwork lips, don't tear and irritate, let the physical particles do all the work for you.

In regards to your lip color changing, this can occur as a natural aging process due to oxidation damage, but a scrub with vitamin C can be beneficial to combat this and help even coloring. It's also important to use a lip balm with SPF to prevent the darkening of lips any more caused by UV rays and free radical damage.

I like Anthony Logistics' Lip Balms (the blood orange scent is my fave). It's a simple, no-fuss formula that is packed with resveratrol (an antioxidant rich derivative found from grapes), plus they're formulated with SPF 25, green tea (also antioxidant rich) and avocado oil to moisturize:

swfupload_62510440599411695.jpg

Jack Black's lip balms also offer great SPF levels (also at 25) and come in a variety of flavors/scents and is formulated with vitamin E, green tea, shea butter, and avocado oil:

swfupload_373825231688261077.jpg

For something a bit more luxurious, Hourglass' No. 28 Lip Treatment Oil is a sure fire way to introduce a multitude of vitamins, minerals, and conditioners to lips helping to improve the overall condition of lips and their appearance.

swfupload_1013921407368833376.jpg

melde

Total yes to the tarte lip scrub!!!!!

I actually used to use the lush scrub (though I don't like the popcorn flavor, I liked the minty one) but the tarte one has impressed me soooooo much more.

I have dry AND sensitive skin and live in a dry area. That stuff is amazing.

After using the tarte scrub I still apply lush ultrabalm, then go to sleep. I wake with super soft lips. :smileyhappy:

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

Agree with the tarte. Its awesome. 

kimchikween

So informative and thorough!  Thanks!  Because I travel so much, the DIY solutions aren't so easy for me.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • melissabt
    • pinktorridora
    • lylysa
    • invisiblebike
    • beautylovingirl