garnett

ATTENTION RED LIP LOVERS: I HAVE FOUND A SHOWSTOPPER!!

[ Edited ]

I was just window shopping last week, browsing all the NEW stuff on Sephora when I happened to stumble upon the Marc Jacobs I Lovemarc Collection which is a big set of his lipsticks for a mere $350.  Not even I, who has a serious lipstick addiction, am considering such a purchase.  Well ok I thought about it but ... :smileyhappy:   Anyway, while I was drooling I noticed that one of the lipsticks is in a red case instead of black. It is called Showstopper and it says that Marc considers this to be the perfect red.  Hmmm, a HG red?  Be still my foolish heart.  I checked to see if it was available as a solo and YES it is so I ordered it. When I opened up the box I was actually a little nervous.  What I don't like it?  I wanted to love it.  I wanted the angels to sing and a light from heaven to beam down on this beautiful red lipstick case.  OK get a grip I told myself.  It's a lipstick for crying out loud.  I opened  the box, I opened the case, and turned out the red bullet.  Hmmm, what shade of red is this?  I stared at it for a minute and then decided to just try it on.  Once it's on the lips you will figure it out, I told myself.  This is my first MJ lipstick and I was very impressed with the application.  Nice and creamy, glides right on.  Not matte but not shiny.  It's a creamy satin finish.  Oh yeah, the color. Well, to be honest I will have to say that it is INCREDIBLE!  It's not bright, but not muted.  It is a rich shade that is not dark.  It is the perfect blend of cool and warm.  On me with my light, slightly cool complexion it is a cross between fire engine and sanguine (blood) red. A classy red.  A movie star red.  A red you could wear to the office and look professional or on a special evening and look spectacular.  I would swatch it for you but the photos are not doing it justice.  Probably the florescent lighting here.  It is available online and if it's not in your local Sephora it should be very soon.  It's the one in the red case.  Check it out!!  :smileyhappy:

jojobe

Re: ATTENTION RED LIP LOVERS: I HAVE FOUND A SHOWSTOPPER!!

So after wearing my enabled purchase for 3 days I have rekindled my love of wearing lipstick again image.jpgThis is seriously almost gel like and does last a few hours on. I have not noticed any drying effects and my lips really love this- there is some slight feathering but I don't use a liner and it does leave my lips feeling soft while I am wearing it- so showstopper is a hot with me.

garnett

It really looks great on you.  It's such a great color. I am really glad that your lips are loving it!  May I suggest a clear lip liner.  That's what I like to use.  It really stops feathering but you don't have to worry about matching colors are drawing a perfect line. There are several to choose from.  I know there is on by Sephora, MUFE, Urban Decay, and Bite Beauty makes a primer/lip pencil all in one.  Easy to use and works with every lipstick. 

melde

So, garnett, you totally enabled me to purchase this, and I got it last night. I immediately put it on (of course) and I couldn't stop looking at it! Sooo nice.

I'm wearing it today, and it has lasted all morning. I just ate a greasy lunch though (I know, shame on me) and that has faded it quite a bit.

But thank you for suggesting this lovely color with a nice finish and decent staying power!

garnett

I am so glad that you like it. It's a little scary to write a review like that and then people would be telling me "what's wrong with you.  It's awful!" LOL

I need to redo after a meal  but it does hold up when I am drinking something.  I think I need to try another color.  I have been eyeballing Seduce Me.  

melde

(0) Hearts

I don't blame you! The finish really is very nice. Seduce Me looks so pretty... perfect for fall!

garnett

(0) Hearts

Oh I didn't mean that YOU were blaming me.  I just meant that when you tell people that something is outstanding you hope that if they try it that they really like it too.  I got the impression that you were pretty happy with it.  :smileyhappy:

anaa

Great swatches.  Glad your dad is doing better.

garnett

OK, I am finally back.  Dad is doing much better.  Thanks for all your good thoughts.  

I have never swatched before so please forgive me if this is lame. LOL  I have also never posted pics on BT so I hope I am doing this right.  Anyway, the first photo is two swatches of the same color-Showstopper- on my arm.  I took the photo outside to get real lighting.  The second is a big lipstick kiss on white paper, also photographed outside.  I hope this helps. 

20131024_160251.jpg

20131024_160435.jpg

melde

Glad to hear your dad is better! This is lovely! Thank you for posting!!

missfawnie

I'm so glad your dad is doing better! 

And oh my goodness- those swatches are so lovely. I love that red! MJ did an amazing job making a vibrant red with a hint of berry. So lovely. Thank you. :smileyhappy:

veronika23

Thanks!  Glad your dad is doing better! :smileyhappy:

spoiledbrat

Thank you garnett, my search for a dupe for Diorific Lady is over, it is MJ Showstopper!  Love love love it! The formula feels great, wears well and it is less expensive! Another bargain! There is nothing to not love about this lipstick. I want more colors. Love this red. Thank you garnett and hope all is better in your corner of the world :smileyhappy: <3

garnett

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I am so happy that you love it!  I was afraid that if you didn't,  you would turn it into a little voodoo doll of me and use it to apply lipstick to something really nasty like the back end of a gopher.  :smileywink:

There isn't anything about this lipstick that I do not like.  I love the case, the texture, the wear time, and of course, the color!

Dad is doing better and is stable right now.  I am hoping he will be home by early next week.  Never a dull moment in my little corner of the world.  :smileyhappy:

spoiledbrat

no worries; your father and you are most important - sending good karma to you both - all the best

LolaVal

Garnett, I hope that your Dad will get well soon.  I love your play by play description of how you discovered this lipstick!  I'm going to have to buy this based on your review!  

jojobe

ENABLER......I am trying to wait for a good promo code before I bought anything else....I have to sit on my hands so I don't hit the place order button.....I just got a sample of the Hourglass in Icon and it is very pretty on me. I forgot until recently how much I love wearing red lipstick. I have stayed with lip glow most days but I now find myself reaching for the RED.... I have only tried a few of the MJ products and my favorite so far is the corrector pen. LOVE it...So thanks, now I find myself waiting for hopefully a good ROUGE perk or at least a decent FF offer-

garnett

Hi BT Beauties.  I didn't get to do a swatch for you yet because I spent several hours in the ER this evening.  My Dad has some serious health issues and tonight got scary.  He is resting comfortably now in the hospital and I am home and ready to crash into my pillow.  Sorry to let you down but I will try to do it sometime tomorrow.  I was all excited because this was going to be my first. LOL  Please keep my dad in your good thoughts and prayers and I will post a photo asap.  

veronika23

Hope everything is alright with your dad!  All the best positive energies to your dad and family :smileywink:

trulykelsie

I haven't been daring enough to try out a red lip, but your description of this product just changed my mind. I cannot wait to see your swatch and take a look at this in-store. Thank you!! 

glossyguru

[ Edited ]

Whyyyyyyyyy I'm trying to be on a NO BUY until the holidays! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 53 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • kalex
    • anaa
    • spoiledbrat
    • jojobe
    • lilyyy
    • veronika23