Answer
Icrossmyheart
best red lip stick that will stay bright and perfect for hours?

I want a bright red lips stick or gloss tha will stay on perfect for hours, and I dont want it to be dark red, I was looking for more of a bright cherry. Thanks!!!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 2
dianabt
Answered

Hi lcrossmyheart, 

Here are my suggestions for you:

1. Try an anti feathering pencil that will keep the color staying in place and from bleeding or spreading past the lip line. I really like the Too Faced Borderline or Make Up For Ever Lip Line Perfector which are great to keep strong and bold colors from smudging.

Borderline Smoothing, Anti-Feathering Lip Pencil Lip Line Perfector

2. For a red lipstick I love the Lancome #181N Rouge in Love Saint Honore

Lancôme - ROUGE IN LOVE Lipcolor

Nars Lipstick in Red Lizard

NARS - Lipstick

Or the Illamasqua Lipstick in Maneater

Illamasqua - Lipstick

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The key with bold colors like red is proper prep, product, and application/technique!

1. Exfoliate your lips and hydrate your lips. Well prepped and cared for lips will hold color and product better no matter what. Dry flakes or uneveness can cause product to not wear well and fade unevenly. Fresh, Smashbox, and Bliss make exfoliating lip treatments that feel wonderful, but for a DIY version, take simple table sugar and mix it with a few drops of olive oil or honey and gently massage onto lips to scrub off dead skin. Olive oil helps to condition lips, and honey is a natural humectant that helps to bind moisture to lips and is also an anti-microbial agent. You can even mash up a strawberry and add it in to make a yummy flavored lip scrub!

You can also use a warm wash cloth to gently buff at lips or take a soft bristled tooth brush to polish lips, too, but those are less yummy methods! :smileytongue:

2. After exfoliating, dab on a hydrating lip balm and let it sink into lips for a few minutes, that way your lips won't be too slick for lip products to sit on top. I love using a slightly thicker balm (Jack Black's lip balms are wonderful) or something with a waxy, but non-greasy texture like the lip elixirs from Tokyo Milk Dark. Avoid anything slick or glossy, like pure vaseline, those will take longer to absorb, pat on product so you're just more so "laying" on a thin layer of product compared to swiping on a full coat.

3. Once your balm has set and lips well conditioned (after exfoliating and exposing new skin, it's crucial to hydrate so the new skin isn't going to dry out), take either a natural colored lip liner or liner that matches your lip product, line and fill in your lips. Using a natural toned liner (Smashbox makes some great ones, that are also longwearing too) allows a solid base for product to sit on if you're not able to find a liner that matches up exactly with your color of choice. Sometimes reds or bold colors are tricky as undertones don't always match and you don't want a darker red outline and brighter, red lipstick on top. Try to test and compare liners and colors while in store so you're sure you get the right match, or stick with liners/product in the same line to ensure closer matches.

4. With red and bolder colors, try to find a full colored, cream formula lipstick. Even if you want a glossy look, save that for later (you can add a drop of gloss over it) because bold colors have a tendancy to bleed or feather if lips aren't lined or if the weight of the formula is too heavy. Using a cream based lipstick will prevent lips from drying out, you can go the matte route, but try to find a hydrating formula. There's a difference in wanting matte lips and dry lips. Try using a lip brush to get a very precise application, especially when it comes to the sides of your lips.

5. If you want a hint of shine, take a gloss and just add a bit in the center of your lips. The center is naturally the fullest part of your lips so it's where light catches and reflects first, so putting gloss there will emphasize the shape and make lips look naturally fuller.

Of course there are products out there like lipstick crayons, long wear liquid lipsticks, and even some with glosses to add on top. It still helps to exfoliate and hydrate before starting a bolder lip look though.

Some favorites if you want a bright red are MAC's Russian Red and Ruby Woo, MUFE's Aqua Rouge in Iconic Red, MUFE's Rouge Artist Intense in #8 and #42, NARS' Dragon Girl Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, Lorac's Break Through Performance lipstick in Leading Lady, and OCC's Lip Tar in True Blood and NSFW.

A note about the OCC Lip Tars, they're a highly pigmented liquid lipstick that looks like a full colored gloss. As the formula is thicker than most, work with a small bead sized amount and let the product soak into lips, saturating it with color. Too much and you can end up with a runny mess, but they're amazing!

One of my favorite glosses to put over reds is Benefit's Benetint Lip Balm with SPF 15. It has a lovely cherry, rose tint that's sheer, so it wears well over reds and even alone. It gives lips a nice wet, glossy finish without being runny, tacky, or sticky! It's hydrating and keeps lips smooth!

Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 4 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • Icrossmyheart