Answer
rachelgraceanne
Accepted Solution
Satin and Matte Nude Lipsticks for Women of Color

Hello, I was wondering what some good good nude lipsticks were for black women. I find that for my complexion it's actually harder to find a nice nude lipstick than it is for some black women who are darker than me. My mom has a nice chocolate complexion, not ebony, but chocolate, and she can wear more pink lipsticks than I can and even some of the nude ones that look good on her don't look good on me. I think the fact that my lips are also the largest feature on my face also makes it a bit more challenging. I also have two toned lips. My top lip is completely brown and my bottom lip is like lined with brown and pink in the middle. I do have a lipstick primer but satin and matte would be best just to make sure it's not sheer and my top and bottom lip look like the same color when I put lipstick on. I've always had trouble with that and I don't like the way it looks. bleh.

Thanks,

xoxo Rachel

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
thecaramelapple
Answered

Its not as hard as one would think. actually its a no brainer when you remember what looks good and what doesnt. The reason why your mom can probably pull off the pinks is because although her skin is dark it probably has cooler undertones. From your picture you look like a coffee shade of brown, which tends to be more on the warmer side and clashes with a lot of different nudes and pinks. I could be wrong, because its just a picture, but a lot of women of color have either olive, yellow, or red/copper undertones. So, sometimes the flat nudes look unflattering. As for your pigmented lips problem, its really an easy fix. Just dab a bit of concealer on your lips evenly and blot with a tissue. Then, apply your lip color. I think a peachy brown nude would be the most flattering on you. A couple examples below:

1. Revlon's Superlustrous lipgloss: Nude Lustre: A nude color thats not too dark with a warm undertone. Available at drugstores.

2. MAC's lipstick : Hug Me: A warm nude appropriate for medium to dark skintones. I use it a lot. I'm an NC42 in MAC

3.MAC's lipstick: Mocha: A nice peachy brown

4.Loreal Paris Lipstick: Fairest Nude: A nice warm brown

Answers: 2
gabidee
Answered

Dear rachelgraceanne,

Avon actually launched a collection of lipsticks last year that were specifically designed for women of color. The collection was made up of four lipsticks that compliment darker skin Iced Cocoa is a frosty bronze, Perfect red is a deep red, Oxford Wine is a deep plum, and Burnished Gold is a shimmering gold. The lipstick itself is creamy, pigmented, and long-lasting. You can find these on Avon's website or at any Avon store near you.

Below: An ad for the lipsticks. The shades mentioned above are here, too.

Hope this helps!

-gabidee

rosemart
Answered
(0) Hearts
I agree with the first responder, you need to create a blank canvas for the lipstick colors to show their true selves. The best way is tinted lip primer or foundation. Build slowly, let set and then apply your color. Good luck.
Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 8 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • rosemart
    • thecaramelapple
    • gabidee
    • rachelgraceanne