Answer
yorkielove2
Accepted Solution
Red lips
I have really fair skin (think the lightest bareminerals foundation), light honey blonde hair, and light/medium blue eyes.... Kinda swiss looking... What's the best red lipstick or stain for me?
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
projill
Answered

yorkielove2,

Reds can be tricky especially with lighter features.  You can definitely pull it off- half of making a red lipstick look good is wearing it with confidence- it sounds funny but it is true!

Try going with a similar undertone as your skin- if you have more pink undertones then a pink undertoned red would be great.  

NARS Velvet Matte Pencil in Dragon Girl is beautiful:

If you have more golden undertones then look for a red that is more orange based.

Try NARS Lipstick in Heat Wave

Heat Wave

If you are unsure, choose a blue based red as these look great on anyone. Makeup Forever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in Moulin Rouge #43 is one that looks fantastic on almost anyone:

Have fun,

Jill

Answers: 4
ran8
Answered

Lipstick really depends on your natural lip color as well as complexion.  The old saying with fair skin is to go with a red with more of a bluish tone to it which may or may not work for you  (Example; Stila's liquid lip color in Firey).  Red to me is easier to try out and match than say a nude or a beige.

Using the MUFE lip shade finder as a guide, look into shades similar to those tones in person.  Online and swatches are completely different from how the color will look once applied to the lips. 

A stain suggestion is actually more of a balm:  Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Passion.  It has the best of both worlds though:  A stained color yet not drying on the lips (a common complaint about lip stains). 

Best of luck!

katie1724
Answered
[ Edited ]

If you are worried about red creating too stark of a contrast against your skin (or you are not used to seeing yourself in red), go for a sheer, neutral red, such as NARS Gipsy or MAC Hot Tahiti. Both of these shades are sheer (but still red) on their own, but buildable for more color. If you're not sure of your undertones, or if you don't have a strong undertone to your skin, go for a neutral red. My two favorite neutral reds are NARS Fire Down Below (which is brick red) and Burberry Brick Red (one of the most wearable reds I own) -- these are more pigmented than the previous two I mentioned, but they can be sheered out.

: )

rosemart
Answered
(0) Hearts
I agree with Katie 1724, you sometimes have to ease into really red lips and balms and glosses can be a great way because they are so sheer. Another great sheer red is by Lipstick Queen called Medieval. It is sheer and will give that just bitten look that you may want to start with first. Once you go red, you'll be glad you did. It is a great look!
melissabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Yorkielove2,

Those are great recommendations!

I also wanted to add that you might want to try the following shades of red that will work well with your skintone.

Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick

Hellbent
(blood red)
Hellbent

Yves Saint Laurent ROUGE PUR COUTURE SPF15

20 Rouge Flamme
(cranberry red)
20 Rouge Flamme 

Kat Von D Foiled Love Lipstick

Adora
(metallic candy apple red)

Adora