Answer
fluffydiva
Desparately seeking a deep red lipstick

I am a medium toned african american lady looking for the best deep red lipstick or stain. Not bright but a deep luxurious and rich almost blood red color. Can anyone help?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 11
lmi82
Answered
[ Edited ]

Blood red is tricky. This is because human blood can be many shades of red. This is why I tend to think of blood red as a range of colors that are associated with blood as opposed to being just the actual color of blood. There are two types of blood circulating through the human body: oxygenated and deoxygenated. Oxygenated blood (found in arteries and capillaries) is a bright red (think of the blood that comes out when you cut your finger) and deoxygenated blood (found in veins) is a darker red. 

Now since you indicated that you want a dark, rich red, my picks are more under the category of deoxygenated blood (dark red, blood red, maroon). There are also a couple wildcards.

colorbloodred-new.png

Here are my picks:

• Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar - Matte in Vintage. OCC describes this as a "deep burgundy," but I disagree. It is a deep, rich blood red.
  • Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in Nocturne. Described as a "intense dark red," and it is exactly that. It is one of my favorite reds (color and formula wise).
  • Nars Lipstick in Fire Down Below. Nars describes this as a "semi matte pure blood red." It's a dark, blue-toned red.
  • Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Terre de Feu. This shade is simply described by Nars as "black cherry." It is a deep, cool-toned red with notes of crimson and blackcurrant. It is stunning.
  • Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Amsterdam. Described as a "garnet red." This is the least dramatic one I've listed. It is a medium-dark red with burgundy/brown undertones.
  • Guerlain Rouge G De Guerlain L'Extrait in Orgueil. This is the most expensive pick. Guerlain just describes this as "plum." This is anything but plum! It's a deep, ruby red with red micro-shimmer. It is rich, complex, and absolutely gorgeous. 
  • Shiseido Perfect Rouge in Mystery (available at Shiseido website). This is the most brown-toned red of the bunch. It is a rich brick red. It is a wildcard, but it's a pretty color.

Also, red will look different on everyone. This depends on your skin tone, its accompanying undertone, and even your hair color. The key is to play around with many shades of red to see what you can pull off.

I hope you find what you're looking for!

laurabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Fluffydiva,

I suggest Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon.  I think it would be perfect for what you are looking for! :smileyhappy: -Laura

Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick.jpg

waterbaby1981
Answered
(0) Hearts

Try Nars lipstick in Scarlet Empress.

knadala
Answered
(0) Hearts

The shade "Gash" from Urban Decay. You'll love the shade, the texture, and the color.

eboneezer
Answered
(0) Hearts

Stila liquid lipstick in Fiery

kellsmuneoka
Answered
(0) Hearts

NARS Fire Down Below is gorgeous

F-Bomb by UD

The VIB Rouge Créme Lipstick by Bite is gorg, but it's LE so you gotta hurry.

Happy Shopping!

PoesRevy
Answered
(0) Hearts

Ardency Inn Modster Long Play Supercharged Lip Color in Lovecat.

fhgarman
Answered
(0) Hearts

I just got Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Amsterdam and I love it. I wore it most of the day today and it felt fairly creamy and very comfortable. It did not leave my leave my lips feeling dry like most matte lipsticks can. I have medium tan South Asian skin and darkly pigmented lips. I've never been able to pull off true bright reds, but deep, blood and brick reds suit me.

sweetxteeth
Answered
(0) Hearts

oh, almost i forgot to mention:

-Illamasqua Lipstick in "Box" and "Maneater" (although the formula dries my lips out more than i'd like, but i love the colors..Illamasqua has some really great reds overall, too)

-Too Faced Lip of Luxury lipstick in Drop Dead Red (no longer sold at Sephora but can still be purchased at toofaced.com)

lourdescerv
Answered
(0) Hearts

Nars' "dressed to kill"

Bobbi Brown "plum rose"

Inglot 229

sweetxteeth
Answered
(0) Hearts

hello..if you're looking for a deep/rich red that's not necessarily dark, i highly recommend NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in the color Mascate. i love the staying power of this gorgeous matte lipstick. most of the previous suggestions are darker reds that lean more towards plum, brick red (NARS Pure Matte in Terre de Feu--which i also own/love but don't consider it to be blood red), brown, or are in my opinion, a tad too bright to be considered blood red (Bite Beauty Creme lipstick in VIB Rouge which i also own/love). i'm always on the lookout for deep blood red lipsticks, and i've only found 3 that fit the bill for me color-wise AND performance-wise so far: NARS Mascate, Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick in Icon (as someone else had already suggested), and MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Rouge in Color 9 (although that has a teeny hint of brick in it). i've been dying to try ELLIS FAAS Creamy Lips in Color L101 "blood red"..actually, it's finally back in stock! i think i may have to go place an order for that now..anyway, please let us know what you end up liking, even if it's not a previously suggested one..like i said, i'm always on the lookout for those types of reds..haha..good luck!

Question Stats
  • 11 answers
  • 6 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • sweetxteeth
    • waterbaby1981
    • eboneezer
    • lmi82
    • knadala
    • fhgarman
    • laurabt
    • PoesRevy