mafan

What should I look for in the UK?

I'm going to England for a few days in March.  It's going to be a quick visit for a wedding, so I'll only be there for a long weekend.  I may get into London although it's not certain; the friend I would be meeting is probably not up for a beauty shopping spree.  (I'm wondering if she's up to Westminster Abbey -- it's the place in the city I most want to see that I haven't had a chance to see in the past 20+ years and even then, not for long enough.) But I might have a bit of time to shop.

The height of any other shopping is probably going to Marks and Spencers in Stains. :smileyhappy:  With my husband, so I'm not sure what I can do there, either.

But, I certainly can order things.  We're staying with my in-laws so I can have things shipped and pick them up when I'm there.  I've already ordered a couple of things that Clarins had on sale.

So, is there anything wonderful that can only be found in the UK that I should look for?  Anything newly released that I should try to find at Duty Free if I have airport time?  I'm not planning to go nuts, but I'd love to know if there's something I should try to check out.

dolceloure

Re: What should I look for in the UK?

(0) Hearts

Visit a Zara store!! (unless you live in a bigger U.S. city like NYC, DC, Chicago, which already have them, lol) Their clothes are nice, but I looooove their perfumes. They're great quality and pretty inexpensive, even in Europe.

Britlee303

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Here are my suggestions (pretty much all drugstore!): Sleek eyeshadow palettes, blushes and face contour kits, Topshop lipsticks and nail polishes (even though you can get some of their makeup here it's much more readily available there), Barry M nail polishes, Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer (so cheap yet soooo amazing), Model's Own nail polishes, Kiko lipsticks (I think they have Kiko in London but I might be wrong and it could just be in Italy...would have to check), and Maybelline Dream Touch Blushes (obviously we have Maybelline, but this is what they have instead of the Dream Bouncy Blushes and I like the European formula much better). I also know a lot of Bourgeois products come highly recommended but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to pick any up while I was in Europe. Basically my suggestion is just go to Superdrug and Boots and be prepared to spend tons of time and tons of money in each :smileyhappy: Plus drugstore shopping is even more fun there since they have testers so you can swatch everything!

dianabt

Fun!

All I can say is pick up some magazines! Everytime I would buy a magazine when I was in the UK they came with freebies like an umbrella, purse, lipgloss, shadow palettes- really fun stuff! :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
dolceloure

(0) Hearts

I was travelling in Europe last spring and I couldn't stop myself from buying 2-3 fashion magazines in each country, just for those samples, lol. I wish we had those here!!

comfyrock

(0) Hearts

Penhaligon's for fragrances and any Tesco for Galaxy Bars!!!

mafan

(0) Hearts

I haven't heard of Penhaligon's before.  Tesco is around the corner and a definite must.  Not only for candy, but also for tea -- my husband will only drink PG Tips!

MK89

If you have a sweet tooth, I have some great suggestions...:smileyhappy:

mafan

(0) Hearts

Oh, yes, definitely share your suggestions.  My husband is from the London area so has his own list of things he likes, but I always want to know what people think is great or know about other places I have to look beyond Tesco/Sainsburys. :smileyhappy:

manniface

(0) Hearts

Tell us! Tell us!

mafan

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the reminder.  My mom mentioned wanting Fortnum and Mason teas.  (I usually get Twinings' Earl Grey and then some from Harrods duty free.)  I am sure we will fly BA through Terminal 5, so I will see what I can find at the airport if I don't have time to get to a store.  Though Afternoon Tea at the store sounds lovely if the schedule will allow. :smileyhappy:

ghkim

oh, i just went to london in september and went on a beauty spree!

suqqu makeup (foundation, eyebrow pen, shadows) and brushes at selfridges, charlotte tilsbury (i hear magic ream is popular) at selfridges, daniel sandler (watercolor blush) at harrod's, bourjois healthy mix serum foundation at any boots or superdrug, barry m nail polishes and eyeshadow pigments at any boots or superdrug, sleek cosmetics (esp their contour palettes) at any boots or superdrug. also organic pharmacy carrot butter is cheaper at selfridges than it is in the states (around 55$ rather than 75$). also, don't forget to cash on your vat savings. selfridges also carries shu uemura which is quite hard to find in the states - their shadows and blushes are soft and pigmented.

the illamasqua flagship is also in london but i didn't see anything there that wasn't available in the states.

missrmessner

You hit on all of the UK makeup brands I want to try out (well I guess Suqqu isn't form the UK, but you get what I mean)!! I also want to got to a Space NK to check out their skincare. Especially Sarah Chapman and Emma Hardie! 

daisydaisies

If you get a chance to go to a Neal's Yard store (skin care), go for it! They have wonderful things. You can get it in Canada and the US (mail order), but the stores are wonderful and worth your time.

Fortnum and Mason (UK store) have some amazing foods (cookies, truffles, teas, etc etc), so if you're in London, go there. They have skin + bath care too (Aromatherapy Associates is very nice). They also have a good selection of their stuff at Heathrow airport (at least in Terminal 5, which is the one I always fly through. I'm not sure about the other terminals).

katie1724

I'm so jealous! It's been too long since my last trip to the UK. I have been dying to check out Charlotte Tilbury's line -- while it can be shipped to the US, I find the cost a bit prohibitive at the moment. I think there are counters at Selfridges! Her mascara, magic cream, and cheek pop blushes all look amazing. I *love* M&S, too -- I'm addicted to this candy you can only find there (Percy Pigs, hahah -- I'm sure customs gives me the side eye when they see my 500 bags of it) but I like browsing through everything there.

I hope you have a great trip! :smileyhappy:

mafan

You made me go look this up.  Now not only do I need to check out Percy Pigs at M&S (the one store I know I will go to because my husband wants to go there), but I need to look for similar things at Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda depending on which stores I end up at. :smileyhappy:

I'll have to see whether a stop at Selfridges is possible on my schedule. :smileyhappy:

katie1724

(0) Hearts

Yes! If you like gummy candy, you'll probably love them; if you're  not a candy person, you may not (but I think they're perfection). :smileyhappy: I hope you find lots of good things, though, whatever they may be! :smileyvery-happy:

manniface

so googling happened

mmmm those percy pigs look tasty

Urbie

PERCY PIGS!!!!!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

They ARE! The originals used to be my favorite, but now I love the Veggie Percies -- they're just made without traditional gelatin (I'm not a vegetarian, but I happened to try them and liked them better). I love these things to the point of obsession -- hahah! 

ETA: From my Instagram, when a huge box arrived from a swap partner in the UK. A++. 

unnamed.jpg

Urbie

Now I'm so hungry!!! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • dianabt