Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Savvy Shoppers
|

Ulta GWPs

This thread will be for Ulta GWPs only.  Share ulta promos here.  

Please do NOT post requests for the spreadsheet in this thread.  Please post requests for the Ulta GWP google spread sheet in this thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Ulta-GWP-Google-Spreadsheet-Request-Thread/m-p/2753063#M11...

A list of in store coupons is here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Savvy-Shoppers/Ulta-GWP-Coupons-no-chatter/td-p/3866521

Let's keep this thread on topic!

Ulta points refresher (because yes, it is that complicated):

Spoiler

Item #1 - $53.50

Item #3 - $108.50 (and is eligible for a certain item/brand 5x multiplier)

* There is also a 5x all purchase multiplier and you are platinum so you get 1.25x

Total Spent - $162

Base Points Earned - 162

Platinum .25x Earned - 41 (162 * .25 = 40.5, and rounding up)

5x All Purchases Earned - 648 (it ends up being 4x because you don't count the base points)

5x Item/Brand Earned - 434

Total Points Earned - 1285

Links are not allowed.  In lieu of links, please read this:

Spoiler

Please add product id numbers and sku numbers so people can find items on ulta.  

Just to clarify, there is an item number that Ulta lists on the website, right under the picture of the item.

The product id is the number given to the item in the URL.  So Ulta's site follows this formula of having the url and then the very last part of the url is "productId=xlsImpprod" followed by an 8 digit number.  If you use that "productId" number you can get to the page of any item on ulta. 

It's not a search, but the direct url to the page. 

Click on any product, and then view the url in the address bar.  It will look like this: ulta's website (not using the actual domain because BT admins don't like that) /prep-prime-fix?productId=xlsImpprod15921204  Replace the 8 digit product id of the item you want to see with the id of the product you're looking for.

My very unofficial Ulta point multiplier to approximate percent discount chart:

(This is a number where I use the multiplier to divide by 2000 to see how many dollars I would have to spend in order to redeem a $125 reward.  E.g. 2000 points divided by 1 point multiplier means I have to spend $2000 to get the $125 reward.  Adding how much I had to spend ($2000) + the reward ($125), and then using the reward ($125) to divide the total purchase ($2125), I get a discount of approximately 6% based on the total purchase.  Note: the total purchase is based on the concept that you are spending just enough to reach the next $125 reward and combines the reward value with how much money you had to spend to get that reward.

Spoiler
Multiplier11.251.522.252.533.253.544.254.557.257.588.258.599.259.51010.2510.5
Spend2000160013331000889800667615571500471444400276267250242235222216211200195190
Points200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000200020002000
Redeem125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125125
Total Purchase21251725145811251014925792740696625596569525401392375367360347341336325320315
Discount6%7%9%11%12%14%16%17%18%20%21%22%24%31%32%33%34%35%36%37%37%38%39%40%

Re: Ulta GWPs

UD Naked Heat is live (palette, liners and lipsticks) 😀

This kind of explains the random gifts that are mailed out...

ulta.JPG

ulta beauty

Spoiler
Ulta Beauty’s loyalty program is giving the retailer key insights, including data that helps with sampling programs.

Ulta’s Eric Messerschmidt, senior vice president of marketing strategy, loyalty and CRM at the retailer, spoke at Oppenheimer’s 17th Annual Consumer Conference on Tuesday. He detailed one of Ulta’s sampling programs, unleashed after Urban Decay released its Vice lipstick collection.

“They had 150,000 really nice sample packages that they want[ed] to mail out to our customers,” Messerschmidt said. “We worked with Urban Decay. We have 24 million customers, who to send these to? Oh my gosh. We leveraged our data to figure it out.”

Ulta sorted through the data to find which customers liked Urban Decay, which liked lip products and which ones liked lip but didn’t buy Urban Decay, according to Messerschmidt. “We targeted segments of those customers with those 150,000 samples and mailed out to exact specific people we wanted to mail to. We measured them over three, six, nine months to see did they come back and buy — 41 percent lift from that type of program. So we do that all the time.”

Ulta’s loyalty program has more than 24.5 million active members, and is growing at a rate that outpaces the company’s retail expansion, Messerschmidt noted (Ulta has plans to open about 100 stores per year).

That program still has room for growth, he said, noting that about three-quarters of beauty enthusiasts in the U.S. don’t shop at Ulta, or haven’t in the past year. Ulta has an opportunity to expand the categories its customers shop in, which is usually about one-quarter of the categories the store offers. “She spends a lot in beauty,” Messerschmidt said. “About one-third of it is with Ulta, two-thirds of it is with those 70,000 other places that she can buy beauty in the United States. Our challenge and our opportunity [is to] get more members in our program and try to drive share of wallet with those existing customers.”

Ulta’s loyalty members overlap with those of other beauty retailers, including Sephora.

“There’s definitely overlap, and we keep our finger on that pulse as we regularly survey customers to understand that share of wallet,” Messerschmidt said. “Our largest competitor is not Sephora, if you look at it just in terms of sales. And you probably know, I mean, Wal-Mart sells a ton of beauty product … It’s not perfect overlap, but their beauty enthusiasts, even at their best, may give us half their beauty spend. They love beauty, and they’ll go buy beauty wherever. And so yes, they’re shopping at Sephora.”

Messerschmidt also acknowledged Ulta’s arrival to the prestige stratosphere. “Our success, at least over the last several years, has allowed us to build a really strong pipeline of newness,” he said. “Brands are coming to us. I started at Ulta six years ago, it wasn’t this way six years ago. We had to scrap and fight for every brand. A brand like MAC, six years ago, we’re like, ‘We’re never going to get MAC.'”

MAC launched online with Ulta in May, and will roll into 100 doors (with makeup artistry services) before the end of the year.

0.JPG

Would like to know how they validate the data. 

There was a funny article a few years ago about how Target was able to fairly accurately guess which customers were pregnant or about to become pregnant based on their purchasing data. They were able to send targeted coupons and flyers to the women for diapers and whatnot but eventually stopped when people complained that it was too invasive. Big data is a massive industry and it's accuracy at predicting consumer spending habits is a bit too on the nose for me, but there's no way around it 🙂

A couple of years ago, Target started sending me and my DH baby coupons. We both laughed and said their data was somehow off. Then, Sam's club sent me a new mother offer for a free membership.  We're both a bit too old for babies, but we used the free Sam's club offer.

I agree with @Annalily11 it's prob based on our ulta rewards/account. I work in the tech industry and there's some pretty powerful tools out there and a whole lotta data. They can track orders/returns, click through on emails, purchases with multipliers, searches, cart abandonment, just to name a few

They probably keep track via our Ulta cards. I wouldn't be surprised if their computers have pretty full work ups of all of us.Tech can be scary accurate with these things. I swear the ad programs know if I even look wistfully at a top in a shop window, cause next thing I know it'll be bombarding me.

All loyalty cards operate that way.  Whether it's the grocery store loyalty card or Sephora's or Pharmacies'.  They throw you some discounts/perks/freebies in exchange for your data.  They're tracking how much and which products you're buying.

Hmmm, well, sadly Ulta knows I'll shop even if they don't send me a free palette or target me with a code for a free DS mascara, so they don't bother sending those things to me lol 😄

Surprise Beauty Break!

Product ID: 16101139

image1.JPG

Spoiler
image2.JPG

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but in the email, it says that today's BB was extended to 4pm CT. I wonder if it's something new they're trying that might be a permanent extension? 🤔Ulta bb clinique.png

@phantompenguinx I've seen them extend a beauty break every now and again...I think it's more of a "we still have inventory of this gift" thing...but so many of them sell out long before 2pm that extending them to 4pm isn't really possible.

I do wish they'd work on having enough inventory to reliably run them to 4pm though...that would be awesome!

@RGbrown Ah that makes sense about the inventory...I feel like it's a tease, like you say they usually sell out before that time anyways.

In the end, ulta wins haha people like me who didn't make a purchase with the BB, but saw the email are now thinking ulta is so awesome by extending 😝

Oh wow, your "surprise" comment made me realize it's only Tuesday. I saw the email and just assumed it was Wednesday. :Facepalm: lol

Edit: it didn't help that the email also advertises the ud naked heat one-day offering tomorrow lol

Screenshot_20170620-122051.png

@RGbrown Hahaha I thought it was Wednesday, too, & I panicked thinking I had somehow slept through Tuesday 😄

Ooh I didn't even see that at the bottom of the email, but that certainly would add to my confusion lol

The platinum bag is OOS

I ended up spending less than $125 and still getting the big GWP by purchasing sale items. I know sometimes that doesn't work and sometimes it does. I didn't exactly try to play around and spend the most minimal amount to make it work, so you might be able to spend less and still get it. I also used the retail me not cash back, but I have never used them before so I hope that works. Thanks for the tip on that!!

My only disappointment was that the Benefit concealer went OOS before I got checked out. But Oh well! I'll console myself that it probably wouldn't be light enough for my pale complexion. lol 

Spoiler
1.png

2.png

New gwp! 2pc Armani deluxe samples (Acqua Di Gioia and Sky Di Gioia) w/ any $40 purchase. Search "variety" or use product ID 16151077 to find it. 

Screenshot_20170619-012510.png

Help please!  I realized that the nars tinted moisturizer I got may be too dark for me and i might have to exchange for the shade groenland. I got it with point multipliers (5x and 3x platinum combined), and am afriad now that if I exchange, I will lose my extra points since that deal will no longer be going on once I receive my shipment. Am i right in guessing this? Or will I be able to call CS and have them give the extra points back? Thanks!

@sabrinas I did an even exchange in-store and let them know that I didn't want to lose my points, so they called CS and got the points added back. 

I agree with RG, if you do the exchange in store with your account information, I think you will definitely lose the points. I would try to exchange in person without a receipt or anything and see what happens. If you can only do it onlline, I would have an extensive conversation with CS and get the name of the person you talk to if they agree that you won't lose your points and ask them to email you a confirmation of that. That way you have some leverage if something goes wrong in the transaction.

@sabrinas

I was hoping I could help, but I looked through the few exchanges I've done and all of mine were items I bought without a multiplier, so the final tally was net 0 points. 

I would kinda assume you'd lose out too, but I also know that the few times I've contacted ulta cs, they have knocked it out of the park with excellent resolutions. If you are able to return and rebuy, and if you do wind up losing points, I'd definitely contact them to see if they can fix it up for you. 

Another option may be to see if the store is willing to do the exchange without pulling up your account. That happened to me once because the girl behind the register really had no idea what she was doing...at one point she told me I owed her money on an even exchange, sigh. I was all sorts of worried she had messed my account up, but when I checked later, the transaction never showed up, so all was well from a points standpoint.

1 Reply
testing