Too Much

Fabz

Too Much

Is there such a thing? My hubby has asked me today to cut back my spending and slow it down. LOL. How horrible am I that I need him to call me out? I feel bad because I have like 3 orders coming in the mail. Is anyone else guilty of hiding bags or boxes?

janinebt

Re: Too Much

Sometimes I do feel like I get a little 'spend happy' a few weeks ago I purchased a new dress, purse, shoes, and a shrug online in less than an hour. I usually do a decent job of wearing what I have and then just shopping for what I need every few months. I don't like having a bunch of things that I don't wear laying around, so I'm pretty stratigic about what I do purchase.

I am guilty of hiding packages...but I'm good about paying off things that are important first before going on a spending rampage. My boyfriend still thinks I have a ton of clothes but in conparison to some of my friends I really am not that bad. Even with makeup and skincare. I'm good about using what I've got. If something doesn't work or I know it's something I won't use I'm quick about giving it away.

I have found a good solution to avoiding meaningless spending. It's a bit silly, but if I'm interested in some retail therapy or see something I like during 'bills week' and know I can't buy something I write it down in a notebook. That way when I have some extra spending money or if someone wants to know what they can get me for gifts I can just pull something from that. It's so helpful! My boyfriend consults it pretty frequently :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Fabz

I like that notebook idea, maybe I'll give it a try. Unfortunately I already messed up! He told me this weekend to at least wait until next month before I made another beauty purchase (makeup, skin, clothes etc). Well yesterday I saw a great sale on already on sale clothes so... you know I had to get stuff! EEK. I think I need to stop online purchases. I think it's so much easier to get out of control and compulsively buy things you don't need when you aren't in the store. 

prettyinpa

Yep, when I am on a spending break, I delete all my sale emails from beauty and flash sale places unopened. That way, what I don't see, doesn't tempt me. If I need something during that time, I only shop online at the place that has it and avoid "just taking a peek" at other stuff, as long as I'm there. Amazon is my prime culprit for this, I recently needed a cheese grater (my old one fell apart) and before I knew it, I had a pair of boots in my cart that were on sale for end of season. I did remove them from the cart and actually forgot about the grater and by the time I remembered I had gotten one at a restaurant supply place for less. Leaving stuff unpurchased in the cart for awhile also saves me money, I often forget about it and turns out I didn't need it or the urge passes before I do any more damage.

Good luck on your spending break, March is coming right up!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Lol, same here. I don't delete those emails, but make a beauty calendar instead, so if I see a perk I want but don't need to buy anything, I tell myself "it's ok, they are gonna have it again next year" or "it's ok, the next one is only X weeks away and much better anyways."

And when I really want something, I put it in my shopping basket for a month, and usually I decide I'm fine without it after that.

MoreGun89

Yeah...I definitely hide, downplay and shift my items about as well XD  As long as it's within your means though there shouldn't be too much of an issue.  I do say the same though for my BF  I find his new Pathfinder books in the weirdest places XD

dianabt

I say only worry when it's becoming a financial burden or causing problems in that area, or when a whole shelf of makeup comes crashing down on your, OR if you notice you have so much makeup some of it is getting moldy or isn't used!

I personally have a TON of makeup that I don't use and have finally come to the realization that there CAN be too much of a good thing! I really don't need that extra eyeshadow or blush no matter how pretty it is, especially if I know I have 10 more brand new ones in storage ath ome. :smileysad: I'm lucky my bf doesn't complain but it's probably considering he spends all his money on fancy bike gear! haha.

Have you tried doing makeup swaps with friends, or investing in free gifts? Those are great ways to get mini sizes of items to try and stocking up on your daily essentials and I love to buy those at department stores! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

Gosh, Diana! You got me picturing me in front of a giant vanity of lipsticks, eye shadows, powders, blushes, foundations, liners, mascaras, glosses, bronzers, palettes, brushes, lotions, cleansers, toners, serums, treatments, and perfume falling on me! In a funny, comical relief kind of way, not in the "actually getting pelted with product" kind of way, haha!

prettyinpa

Actually, one of my drawer organizers did topple over on me and pelted me with shampoos and conditioners stored on top, along with my UD and Smashbox collections from the drawers! Hubby had just about had a conniption laughing at me!

Fabz

LOL

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Ouchies! The heart to you on that comment was given in a sympathetic sense for the toppling of the items!

Looks like it's time to invest in a sturdier drawer! :smileywink:

katie1724

I've definitely been guilty of hiding things and/or downplaying how much I have purchased. At this point, I think it is possible to have too much (for me, I mean). I think I own about 100 blushes...and even if I never bought another, I don't think I could use all of them in a lifetime. I probably have close to 100 lipsticks, too...it's just crazy (but it was so much fun acquiring everything!). In the future, I'm going to try to keep this in mind, and pare my collection down to the essentials and things I really appreciate. :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I kind of do wants to see 100 blushes, sounds like it would be super pretty when ordered by color and displayed, makes me think of a field of tulips. =X

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I think that cheek products are my new weakness (blushes/bronzers/highlighters). I love them, use them all the time, and sooooo pretty! It takes me awhile to use up just one of these things though....so I will have to keep that in mind the next time I want to buy one of these things.

violalea

I would love to see your collection and everyone else in photos :smileyhappy: I will do mine soon to share :smileyhappy:

Fabz

(0) Hearts

Not to trigger your blush frenzy but which brand is your favorite? I own very few blushes because they scare me lol. I see them and think they are pretty but I don't want to look like a clown.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

It's all about using the right tools, sometimes -- even the brightest colors that one think would be clownish can be lovely if applied with a stippling brush! That said, my favorite user-friendly shades are the Chanel Joues Contraste series (lots of color, but they're easy to apply) and Dior (which tends to be sheer). I love NARS, but I have to be really careful in applying most of them (they're still worth it, though).

As for specific colors...I like NARS Deep Throat, Gaiety (not as heavily pigmented as Desire and Angelika, so it's an easier pink to apply) and Sex Appeal; Chanel Rose Pétale and Turbulent; Dior Passion Fruit...I could go on, haha.

beautylovingirl

Don't feel bad I used to do the same thing, But I think I pretty much have everything in the free world now! LOL! It's hard especially when you see all of the good things on here and it's MAKEUP. It's just hard for a girl to say no.:smileyhappy:

lylysa

Yes, there is such a thing, but also, I'm sure he means well.

It's funny because often times women complain that men don't pay enough attention to things, but then they notice bank statements and go all wide-eyed! Though I don't know your spending/shopping habits, I'm sure that as long as you're still spending within your means and not going overboard to the territory of debt or even opening secret/new credit cards you're fine.

Maybe he just thinks it's too much because he's not used to seeing as much stuff purchasing or coming in all at one time.

I certainly go through periods where I may buy a good amount and it seems crazy, but then I don't spend much on beauty products or goods for the next 3-6 months, so it's all balanced.

When I worked clothing retail we had so many female shoppers coming in joking how they leave bags in the car and sneak them in when their hubby wasn't at home! :smileytongue:

Fabz

That's mostly it... I think it was just a lot at one time rather than the little bit I usually trickle home. 

However, I did want to clarify he isn't worried or anything. I was just jokingly saying "is there such a thing". I know there is a limit to spending especially now that I have a family. It's interesting how serious this post got when it was intended to be light! But I do have a problem hiding bags in the car too! eek

lylysa

Yeah, I didn't figure you to be a girl with a compulsive spending habit to where you're asking the "Is there too much?" in a serious/possible "Could I have a problem?!??!" issue. :smileytongue:

Besides, I'm sure he has his times where he spends on gadgets or things that you're like "O_O Whoa!"

Fabz

Well I figure I'm justified because he's had a BIG gamlbing problem before to the point of blowing rent. So if I want to use a couple hundred on makeup I WILL!!!! :smileyvery-happy: muhahah

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 111 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • carrierose