Too Much

Fabz

Too Much

Is there such a thing? My hubby has asked me today to cut back my spending and slow it down. LOL. How horrible am I that I need him to call me out? I feel bad because I have like 3 orders coming in the mail. Is anyone else guilty of hiding bags or boxes?

lylysa

Re: Too Much

(0) Hearts

Gosh, if he likes to gamble, I could only imagine that money helping to fuel your purchasing!!!! Tell him it's all his fault! (I mean that jokingly of course!)

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I have no experience with this since I'm just a 20some single lady chipping in (o.o). But I do have a spending problem with Sephora and hide it when my parents come over >.<. So, here's my....1 cent. =X

It is a bummer if you do not have your own income. Financial problems are a team effort, so if he likes buying TV, tools, want-but-not-need stuff, I don't see why you can't? If you do splurge/spend more than him, or money is tight right now, keep that in mind and think about what is more important before making the purchase? I'm weak to promos, but I keep it to ~$50 of Sephora every month and if I want more, I just tell myself there's better things coming along, don't worry/rush, and $50 is 2 weeks worth of food or 1 month of gas for me, do I really want to spend it on 2 things I don't really need?

april1may

Yes, there is such a thing as too much. I too, as you, have hidden purchases and bills, it contributed to the break up of my marriage of twenty five years. My ex husband financially controlled the money and it was my way of "showing him" he could not control me. 

My advice...find out what is causing the over spending and shopping. Work with your husband, if you can, to make priorities. Get help for yourself. The small items you buy, no matter how much they cost will never resolve the problem and negative feelings.

sephoramusthave

Here's my thing: Everyone has something that they love and dont mind spending money on. So, as long as you arent in any financial trouble and still manage to pay for basics (food, water, shelter, bills etc) then what the hell, go all out. But, I am in my early 20's with no husband, and no children. I dont even have pets. So if I want to buy something, and I really want it, I just get it. For me, I know my limits. I know everything has an expiration date so I dont want an obscene amount of makeup that I can never use up, but I like having some variety to create different looks with. You cant make a smokey eye if you just own light neutral colors.

But I also shop smart. I go to cosmetic company outlets, pay attention to sale sections and if there's a $3 off coupon staring me in the face in my drugstore beauty isle, then yes I will take advantage of that. I see people all the time on youtube and online blogs who have an INSANE amount of stuff, but its their money, not mine. So long as your spending doesnt negatively affect the people around you, have fun. I have an uncle who goes from one expensive hobby to another (fishing, hunting, skiing, etc) and he's a shop-a-holic who's putting a massive amount of strain and hurt on his wife and 2 children. Thats not okay.

Fabz

What is this "cosmetic company outlet" you speak of madam? lol. I have never heard of a cosmetic outlet!!!! Do you mean like a Sally's or another beauty supply shop? 

No we aren't in any financial trouble but I went crazy with my tax money so he got a little freaked. :smileytongue:

prettyinpa

Oh, the Cosmetic Company outlets!!  They are located in Outlet malls and have all sorts of great makeup like MAC and stuff, discontinued colors and the last of limited edition things. So if you have a discontinued favorite, you can stock up.

Google Outletbound dot com and it gives the locations throughout the country. Those places are wicked, you can actually get a whole shopping bag of stuff for under $100! :smileyhappy:

sephoramusthave

Cosmetic Company Outlets are small beauty stores that carry high end brands for cheap or cheap (er). The ones around me carry brands like MAC, Origins, Estee Lauder, Smashbox, Bobbi Brown, Lancome, YSL Clinique etc. When department stores discontinue products, or get brand new/unused bought and returned items, they end up at CCO's. It depends on locations, but sometimes they sales are 5 bucks off original price, and sometimes they have a table set up where everything is 3-20 bucks. On my last trip there, I bought some Lancome Color Design lipsticks for I think $5.50 each, or less. They are always well stocked too. Color selections are kind of hit and miss sometimes, especially when it comes to MAC eyeshadows but they are all around amazing places to shop. They have testers out for everything too.

rockhound0508

(0) Hearts

ohx yeah its been awhile since I have been to the local one.  Dang now I have to plan a trip :-) 

Fabz

Holy crap. 

Fabz

[ Edited ]

It's kind of like a Feast or Famine type thing for me. I have gone from homeless, then always living paycheck to paycheck with  1 or 2 jobs. Now that I have a partner and he's doing well... I think I'm going all out. It's hard because all of this stuff makes us feel good. **bleep** my tax money coming in... that was a part of the madness! 

Too bad I don't have the excuse of making my own money anymore. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I only work here and there now too and sometimes not even then but the dermatologist I used to work for has seperation anxiety because I worked for him for so long so I still work for him now and then, but my husband does very well also. Just remember no one ever said being beautiful was cheap.

rockhound0508

sadly yes.  For me it used to be shoes.

Now I am the only breadwinner it the house but I still dont advertise things I buy for myself.  Its no longer shoes...but SEPHORA :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

You're not alone!  I definitely schedule deliveries so they come when I am home just to avoid the sideways glances. But then I make my own money also, so he has very little to say about what I spend it on. I figure that I don't have a fancy car or horse, so what if I spend my money on beauty stuff. You can be sure he'd say something if I looked horrid! lol

beautylovingirl

That's a perfect point prettyinpa and see Fabz this a great place to come when you need that small bit of justification!LOL!:smileytongue:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 111 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • carrierose