Fabz

Too Much

Is there such a thing? My hubby has asked me today to cut back my spending and slow it down. LOL. How horrible am I that I need him to call me out? I feel bad because I have like 3 orders coming in the mail. Is anyone else guilty of hiding bags or boxes?

makeupmaven

Re: Too Much

(0) Hearts

Definitely not as bad as I used to be. I managed to justify my bi-monthly purchase of Perricone's Metabolic Formula to him (woohoo)...I love shopping though, especially for clothes and shoes (not as much into shoes as other people, but DSW's Premier Rewards program has gotten me more hooked than I've ever been). I wasn't very excited about fashion several years ago (just didn't like what I was seeing in stores, didn't feel like the stuff was "me") so shopping online helps w/ that...I also really love getting a good deal. Not to the extent that I'd buy something I wouldn't wear, but I'll watch something to see if it goes on sale or if I get a special offer from that site via email.

Luckily I have no credit card debt (he got me to pay that off completely when we first moved in together many many years ago) and I make more than him so he can't give me too much trouble. I'm typically not great at saving, but when we plan vacations I've gotten much better about making a budget and sticking to it (he's great at saving). So I've proved myself on that one...which feels great! He also just got a new Amex points card, so this may help justify my shopping a bit (not that I'd shop more than usual, just that we'd get the points which is good, we should have done this a long time ago...and then we pay everything off immediately so there's no interest).

Purging feels great though...makeup, clothes...make room for the new!

carrierose

(0) Hearts

My mail is coming today, UPS, so it will be obvious when a big brown truck drives up our 200 yard long driveway.  My husband works from home 3 days a week and of course it comes today.  I am getting packages from Urban Decay and Sephora, one from Amazon tomorrow (he'll be at work, phew) and one from beauty.com later in the week.

I told him it was for the basket I am making for my sister's shower.  When I get a package on a day he is not here, I usually take it up to the burn pile and burn it!!!

I am a stay-at-home mom but tutor on the side, and I have a Macy's credit card that I use for my purchases.  Only problem is that it really enables me, and I almost always spend more than I have in cash to pay it off, so I sometimes pay off as much as I can in store and then pay the rest through our bank account and tell him that I am putting the cash in our safe.

However, after paying off my card this month I am CLOSING my account and stopping the ridiculous spending.  We are getting a new car and have another baby on the way, and I DO have enough.

pinklissamel

My hubby has questioned the amout of makeup I have and HE THINKS its enough, but I am not so sure. We have seperate accts so it's not really a big deal to him. I know that there is more than I could possibly ever use but I still feel like I need more. Its a bit of a compulsion kinda sorta, I love to see all the pretty colors in my collection and then i think back about how much money I have spent on stuff im not even using and it makes me think i maybe should not buy so much. What more could I possible need???? Hmmm........

DTalksAll

I plan my on-line shopping so it will arrive on a day that I know I'm home and my boyfriend is not :smileywink: I then try to hide the box until garabage day and put it out when he's not looking. Sad, i know! When there's a good event I distract him by buying the clinique shave gel (he loves it, but would never purchase it himself) or take him to the store & buy him cologne (during fragrance 3x points). I still get called out on it sometimes. He recently found the vice palette box & didn't believe me when I told him I bought it late '12.  

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

the gift card idea is a great one!

incinci

I don't hide bags or boxes, but sometimes when I go grocery shopping I will but a $25 Sephora gift card to use as a booster for an online order (he never checks the grocery receipt)!  I am guilty of buying a $25 gift card every week for the last month to save up for Chic Week!!!  I unnoticeably cut back on other groceries so my weekly grocery spending hasn't changed!  I'm evil!!!

carrierose

(0) Hearts

I've thought of doing that myself but I never have. :smileyhappy:  Love it!

PickyPlease

Whoa, that is devious! I love it, Lol. Its like a secret savings account :smileysurprised:

mrsessie

I have been told to cut back too...I have TONS of Palettes that take up lots of room....not to mention money...I probably have about $2,000 in make-up just in palettes..I say I am MILDLY complusive compared to other people I know lol... He should be greatful your not trying to start your own make-up store =) lol

beautycootie

That is a great idea? Haha girls:smileyhappy:

Fabz

DSCN0121.JPG

Fabz

(0) Hearts

Cannot for the life of me find out how to post a picture. 
Any tips?

Fabz

(0) Hearts

Accidently managed to post this one. Can't figure out how to do it purposely. That's just sad. 

MoreGun89

I agree with starting on the 1st, seems logical :smileyhappy:  And I just caved on a lippie I'd been ogling anyway >.>  So, yeah, the 1st is perfect!

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

Fabz----Not buy anything until the end of march? I'm in!!! I've put myself on project 10 pan anyway, so I will have to go longer than the end of march until I get get something new because I have to use up or hit pan on 10 items but I'll be your no buy buddy!! I've really been enjoying what I already have, so even though a no-buy *seems* like a punishment for overspending, its kinda fun! I've been using a palette that I've put away for so long, and I love it and could live off just this palette for years! (shadow wise I mean lol)

Fabz

Great to have you. So should we start today or just on the 1st?

dianabt

@Fabz I think that's a great idea and will partake in it too! If you start on the 1st of March that gives me time to restock my hair items that just ran out yesterday! Two in one day, it's terrible LOL  :smileysad:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Fabz

Okay ladies let's make a challenge/pact. A couple of you mentioned having this same problem so let's do a challenge not to buy anything until the end of March. It sounds like a big deal now that I'm typing this but I think I really need to detox lol. Anyone with me? We can set up rules on what counts and what doesn't.

prettyinpa

We tried something last year like this, I think Sephoramusthave started the thread where we were supposed to go on a no-buy for a month or so. Some people were sucessful, but I think I only made 3 weeks and that was when I was working out of town and so busy that I didn't have time to shop. I think my downfall came when I was working in a town that had a free standing Sephora store and I had a coupon or a gift card or some other form of money burning a hole in my pocket. I fell off the wagon big time. :smileyhappy:

Fabz

[ Edited ]

I think we should try for 2 weeks. Just buying necessities such as shampoo/conditioner type things. I'd say no buying anything new only the stuff you already use and need more of. This will last two weeks what do you think?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 111 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • carrierose