Subscription box photo sharing

I've been on the Ipsy waiting list, but still look at the thread. I thought we could have a shared thread from all the subscription boxes (including non-beauty ones likes underpants and lifestyle such as Wantable and POPSugar). That way we can live vicariously through each others goodies!

(I know there are unboxing videos on YouTube, but I do not have the patience to sit through a five minute video about someone apologizing for the state of their hair. And I know there are blogs where I can see photos, but everyone usually gets different items in their boxes)

Re: Subscription box photo sharing

My all NARS choix box arrived! Excited to try out the Audacious formula Smiley Happy

image.jpeg

(0) Hearts

Great choices!

(0) Hearts

The Birxhbox June Sample Choice video is up!  Details in the spoiler if you are interested.  

Spoiler
Sample choice is benefit's new gimme brow in shade 1, 3, or 5.
image.jpeg

I'm a little disappointed that the choice is only the shade for one product, but at least the box is pretty.  
image.jpeg

And the featured box:
image.jpeg

Sample choice takes place May 27th, unless you are an ace or you spend $25 on Birchbox, in which case it opens the 26th.  Also - they finally updated their app, so if you mostly work on your phone like me, you can choose your sample in the Birchbox app.  Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Yeah that is disappointing about the sample choice.  I may do the customized box.  I'm a sucker for all things Davines and also like Nuxe.  Though I will admit I still haven't tried the LOC products from the box in the past.

Slightly tangential but I still think it goes best in this thread: Well, my Boxycharm box somehow had a fricking ant nest in it (so so gross), I emailed their CS about it, even stating that I didn't know if it had happened on their end or somehow in transit, and they arranged to send me a new box no problem. That's some CS I can approve of.  :-)

(0) Hearts

Oh god that's disgusting!  I would have hope they would have handled it so easily!

Omgggg I would have died! I really really dislike bugs of all kinds (serious bug phobia lol). So gross, I'm sorry that happened to you. Smiley Sad

I feel like you may have been spying on me ;-)

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Speaking of spying, @Sprytely, I've been meaning to ask what you thought of the chocolate or lip balm (assuming you've tried either)?

@notcreative

Ooh! I really like the lip balm (will have to add it to my permanent ISO list) and my mom was down here for one of my surgeries and we split the chocolate bar--tasty and therapeutic! ;-) Thank you again :-)

[ Edited ]

I miss her on the New York cast. She always made me laugh. The new girl is not as fun.

I am guessing this was her reaction to John rubbing up against her. I'd rather have the box of ants.

I agree about the new girl on NY housewives. 

Yay!! I get to join my first subscription box!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Screenshot_2016-05-19-17-56-17.png

Ohhh....wait......

Spoiler
IMG_20160519_180840.jpg

:-(

[ Edited ]

May Glossybox! I'm very happy with this, except that also apparently Glossybox is dealing with super scammy companies and distributing them as legit, and I'm not happy with that part at ALL. 

FullSizeRender (20).jpg

I am super happy about the shampoo/conditioner duo, and although I don't need more mascara, I do love Roller Lash. And I'm excited to try out the foaming shower gel (the green canister).

But. See that Adore jar in the middle? It's a 0.5oz DS, and the product card in the box lists the 1.7oz FS as retailing for $750!! What?? Crazy deal, right? Well...

(epic rant about scammy company in spoiler)

Spoiler

It seemed way too good to be true that I got a sample worth > $200 in my $21/mo sample box, so I looked up the company online. Turns out they are SUPER scammy. They have a storefront in Vegas that is very high-pressure, pulling people into the store and literally pushing samples into their hands, and they don't take returns, ever, even 20 minutes later with sealed product and a receipt. Even worse, they test "exfoliating" products on your hand, to show you all the "dead skin" it gets rid of, which is really just the product itself flaking off. And the salespeople are all on commission, so not only are they pushy, but they'll haggle with you super aggressively. And all this with products whose sticker price is, like the serum I got, >$500 each. (info from Reddit and various consumer complaint sites; if you're interested I'll PM you some links)

The kicker - the ingredients list. For this serum, the top ingredients are: Cyclopentasiloxane (a silicone), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone), Dimethiconol (silicone), Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate (fatty alcohol), Mineral oil, Lanolin Oil, Jojoba oil, Vitamin E, Fragrance, [bunch of other plant oils and other stuff]. Now, I don't object to any of this being in my skincare in general, though I'm not crazy about fragrance being in the middle of the ingredients list. But a serum where the top 5 ingredients are a bunch of silicones and mineral oil does NOT deserve a $450/oz price tag. For comparison, La Mer's Regenerating Serum has silicones and even vegetable oil in it - but its Seaweed Extract is the third ingredient. And it costs a mere $320/oz!

To top all of this off, there's some indication that this company changes its brand name regularly in order to escape the bad rap it keeps getting. This is apparently the SECOND product I've gotten in a Glossybox from this related slate of rebranded lines!! (the other one was Vine Vera, which was also suspiciously high-valued, but the $$/oz was lower and the sample size much smaller)

And they apparently engage in highly questionable labor practices as well. There's a whole slew of these companies, probably all or mostly related to one another, that sell "Dead Sea"-sourced cosmetics. They advertise in mall kiosks and stuff, and get most of their workers from Israel when they're right out of their military service and all need jobs at the same time. Some of them even hold workers' passports unless they meet sales quotas. (source; Wikileaks, US State memo on Dead Sea cosmetics fraud)

Sooo in conclusion, even without this item I'm pleased with the value and items in May's Glossybox... but I'm SUPER not happy that Glossybox is doing business with these people. Instagram brands are one thing, but these guys look downright fraudulent, and I don't want any of my money going to them, even indirectly. Smiley Mad

(0) Hearts

Yeah not cool glossybox. I also wasn't happy about the talika moisturizer.i can't stand those people at the mall pushing the Dead Sea products. I don't like that ingredient methylisothiazolinone. It's a synthetic preservative that has been associated with allergic reactions and is in a ton of products like shampoo, body wash, etc.  it's also n the Nixon shampoo and conditioner. 

(0) Hearts

Not the first time Glossybox has done this, it happens a LOT.  It's why I dropped the sub last year.

Update: I opened the scammy Adore thing and tried it out on my hand because I was curious. It is SO silicone-heavy, even if it had better ingredients otherwise there is no way I would use it as a serum. It was rue same texture as the Smashbox primer! It did the same thing on my hand as well, where it had a wrinkle-filling and slightly mattifying effect. I wonder if this is how they gey people, who don't understand how silicones work cosmetically and think it's actually relaxing their wrinkles rather than just covering them up...

I would actually consider using this as a primer, LOL - But it also never really sank into my skin, and had an odd tingle/heat sensation on applying that made me worry I would react to it. Nothing else happened when I left it on, but my face might be a different story. I don't have sensitive skin but a number of reviews said they hd terrible allergic reactions to it. Not worth the risk. Into the trash it goes!

[ Edited ]

Okay, funny story. I live in Vegas and went to Caesars Palace at the beginning of 2015 to get some Marsala items from Sephora. Despite being listed at that store online, they did not have them, and I never got them anywhere. 

There was a lady working at a store that accosted me (she grabbed me from the walkway even though I had no intention of going in her store) on my way out of the shops and insisted I come in. I told her I had to go (had to leave the strip then or I would have been late to pick up my son). She grabbed my hand (without my permission) and rubbed a cream in. It was odd. She told me I would want the cream and suggested I buy it. I told her I prefer to buy things I've sampled. She gave me two samples of this cream.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 7.05.08 PM.png

I got home and tried it. I thought it was fine, but nothing overly special. Then I looked up the price and almost had a heart attack. This L'Core is the same crap as the Adore you speak of. Pushy and shady indeed. I think I still have the second sample here, because I never opened it after not being overly impressed with the first and seeing the insane price tag.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments