pocketvenus

Spring wardrobe updates

Canadian shoppers, BCBG is having amazing sales on their dresses right now!

I picked up this lovely runway piece (looks much better in person, gorgeous embroidery) for under $300. I had eyed it months ago, but it was completely out of my price range at over $700.

I also found the most gorgeous, fire engine red mod style trench coat with white contrast stiching at a vintage store. So funky and I plan to wear it in a more modern/chic way with nude stilettos and oversized sunglasses. (Although was tempted for about 5 seconds to buy white go go boots to match lol.) It reminds me of London, which I miss.

Still on the hunt for a good pair of tall riding boots through an end of season sale and debating getting a used Danier leather jacket for $35 off of craigslist. I love craigslist!

What have you ladies been buying for the warmer weather ahead?

dianabt

Re: Spring wardrobe updates

Speaking of updating wardrobes for Spring.. :smileywink:

I had one of my best friends go through some of my clothes with me. I must admit, I am a clothing junkie but still love to stick to just a few staple items. She used to work at a Buffalo Exchange (where you can sell your clothes for some cash) and has a very good idea on what I can sell and will be bought, as opposed to things that won't be bought that I can just donate. I found an entire bin in my closet full of things I will NEVER wear!  But I can't depart with my beloved band and concert tees no matter how outdated.. LOL.

I did buy some new shoes (in black, that's one staple I can't get rid of year round!) a bright yellow dress and like Janine, colored jeans! I ended up with bright red jeans and a pair of soft pink jeans, both skinny legged and look great with heels. I might as well liven up my wardrobe a bit since the weather is changing :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
janinebt

Oh wow I had to look at the date for that collection a few times, I couldn't agree more...it is very somber. Although I do typically wear a lot of neutral tones, incorporating fun pops of color is a must for me come spring time. I'm very excited that neon colors are very big this year.

I've been stocking up on colorful jeans, I definitely need a break from denim. Colorful denim is an unexpected statement piece, although I've found that pairing them with just the right garments is quite a bit of a challenge. I've also been looking at edgier pieces to add to my wardrobe, which seem to be really big this year. Studded rings, loose fitted tanks, distressed shorts, and flowing sundresses all seem like they're going to be especially big this season.

San Francisco is what I like to call a 'layering' city. So spring is usually a great time for me to stock up on things that are 'off season' like boots, tights, sweaters, etc. Since the weather can be very unpredictable, I tend to pair tees with scarves, long sleeve cardigans, or wear dresses with knee high socks.

I'm not really a fan of flip flops or sandals, but I'll usually buy a pair or two for trips to the beach and for days that are insanely warm.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
pocketvenus

I love bold colours and prints, but whenever I'm looking at a piece, I ask myself if I can see myself wearing it 1 year from now, 5 yrs, etc. and what I'll think of it then. If my hypothetical future self declares that it isn't up to snuff, then I pass it by. It's a strange way to evaluate fashion, I admit!

@janinebt I love layering - Toronto tends to have a very short spring before the temperature reaches sweltering. But we don't let that stop us :smileyhappy: You'll see people in open toe shoes when it's -5C or colder.

@dianabt LOL I also have band tshirts that are way too large for me but I can't part with them. Too many good memories!

marinaanne147

I'm so excited for Spring!

My birthday was late February, and my parents got me a pair of red jeans. I'm wearing them right now! LOVE.

I'm going clothes shopping this weekend and hopefully will be able to snag some new things for spring! Some things i want to update my wardrobe with are...

-Something the color Seafoam/Mint Green 

-A Bright pair of flats

-A new spring-weather jacket...not sure exactly what yet

As for stuff I already own, I'll be rotating in a lot more short sleeve shirts as well as my chartreuse peacoat I got 1.5 years ago! 

pocketvenus

marinaanne147 wrote:

I'm so excited for Spring!

My birthday was late February, and my parents got me a pair of red jeans. I'm wearing them right now! LOVE.

I'm going clothes shopping this weekend and hopefully will be able to snag some new things for spring! Some things i want to update my wardrobe with are...

-Something the color Seafoam/Mint Green 

-A Bright pair of flats

-A new spring-weather jacket...not sure exactly what yet

As for stuff I already own, I'll be rotating in a lot more short sleeve shirts as well as my chartreuse peacoat I got 1.5 years ago! 

I'm jealous! If I had to pick one pair of coloured denim, it would be a dark cherry red.

dianabt

Seafoam/Mint Green sounds SUPER CUTE.. in a dress, shoes.. OH even a coat! :smileyhappy: I've been on a pastel kick.. I bought two shirts, one in a pale peachy color (a knitted short sleeve loose sweater) and a tangerine and white floral printed shirt. Thinking of the Pantone collection apparently! :smileyhappy:

SEPHORA + PANTONE UNIVERSE

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
marinaanne147

(0) Hearts

@pocketvenus: That sounds so awesome too! And thanks!

@dianebt: Thanks! Pastels seem to be very in for Spring, whether you follow trends or not, so kudos to you! And that peach knit sweater sounds amazing!!!

prettyinpa

@pocketvenus-  A source of really nice tall riding boots is an equestrian shop. Kids outgrow those things in a heartbeat and I have gotten beautiful ones for less than $40 that were completely unscratched and looked brand new. The only drawback is if you have larger or wide feet, there are slim pickings, but if you wear smaller sizes, you have a big selection. Right now is a great time to shop as lots of teens get new ones for Christmas and are only getting around to getting rid of their outgrown ones.

pocketvenus

prettyinpa wrote:

@pocketvenus-  A source of really nice tall riding boots is an equestrian shop. Kids outgrow those things in a heartbeat and I have gotten beautiful ones for less than $40 that were completely unscratched and looked brand new. The only drawback is if you have larger or wide feet, there are slim pickings, but if you wear smaller sizes, you have a big selection. Right now is a great time to shop as lots of teens get new ones for Christmas and are only getting around to getting rid of their outgrown ones.

That's a great idea! I'll do some research. Thank you!

missjr

Pocketvenus, what an absolutely gorgeous dress!  Although we've had an unseasonably warm winter in my area, it's been cold and blustery the last few days.  I probably won't start looking for spring clothes until we get closer to Easter; plus I have to start looking for a formal gown for a debutante cotillion in June.  

I hope you find those riding boots and enjoy that dress!

pocketvenus

@ran8 lol, I suppose it is early to be thinking about spring! But it's been getting up to 8*C up in Toronto, and there was a very mild flurry today but that's practically like spring for us :smileyhappy:

YSL's spring collection struck me as somber despite the colour blocking.

I like Marchesa's 2012 spring collection, so ethereal and graceful. Actually, I prefer F2012's collection but now I'm getting ahead of myself!

I also loved Givenchy's S2012

I know the trend this year is a lot of bright colours, but I've always preferred a muted palette...

@prettyinpa

I love it when you find something wonderful at a vintage store! You always feel so lucky when it's just your size.

@missjr

Thank you! I hope you find the perfect dress <3

dianabt

Hi pocketvenus!

I love that BCBG dress you got and the Marchesa collection is AMAZING!!! It is my dream to have one of those gorgeous and stunning creations.. I saw an amazing black, lace glittery and feathered dress once...I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Such a gorgeous line of clothes! 

I think for Spring I really just try to update more of my accessories and maybe, sweaters or tops that I can mix and match with my regular pieces from fall or winter. :smileyhappy:  New shoes, a lighter colored purse, some fun sweaters in lighter shades and lighter makeup too. That way I can still wear what I wore but a few key things will make them not so "fall-ish" or dark.  

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
pocketvenus

dianabt wrote:

Hi pocketvenus!

I love that BCBG dress you got and the Marchesa collection is AMAZING!!! It is my dream to have one of those gorgeous and stunning creations.. I saw an amazing black, lace glittery and feathered dress once...I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Such a gorgeous line of clothes! 

I think for Spring I really just try to update more of my accessories and maybe, sweaters or tops that I can mix and match with my regular pieces from fall or winter. :smileyhappy:  New shoes, a lighter colored purse, some fun sweaters in lighter shades and lighter makeup too. That way I can still wear what I wore but a few key things will make them not so "fall-ish" or dark.  

Oh, you might like the fall collection too; it is so gorgeous, especially the backs of the dresses, so intricate!

prettyinpa

I haven't been tempted yet with spring/summer things. It's been cold and blustery here for the most part and I wouldn't rule out a March snow. Not that it's been snowy here, we only got one small snow all winter, but mud season set in during November and never left. :smileymad: Usually we don't get mud season here until early March.

I was at a vintage store last week and picked up an absolutely gorgeous teal blue Born cowboy boots. I couldn't believe that they were so inexpensive, on sale, in my size and feel like slippers! I plan to wear them everyday until spring finally arrives. Even then, I might wear them with just the right pair of shorts until it gets too hot to wear shoes.

makeupobesessed

I can't see my pale self trying on spring clothes just yet...it's been slightly cold yet too warm to snow, and in Baltimore, we usually get hit with a few snows that close schools. So far nothing yet, and I'm not sure it's going to happen at all. I'll feel better about trying on clothes Ina few weeks
ran8

What warmer weather ahead?  I have a feeling around here we might have a few more months of cold and wind.  Maybe a few more snow showers too.  Honestly, I bought myself another off the shoulder sweater. 

I still have not found the right items yet.  Colors are nice but the cuts/styles for some items I am not too fond of.

I've been more intrigued with accessories this season.  Colorful ones to counter the cold.  If I could justify spending around 500 USD for a scarf, it would be the dot/check-print silk scarf, dark peacock from Burberry (can be currently seen at the Neiman Marcus website).  The Garnet Red is also quite lovely too. So mostly, scarves, hats, and maybe some items for the hair (small fascinator or something).  Cute shoes but from a practical stand point, i probably could not wear them until June. 

I did enjoy watching the spring collections online.  YSL had a trunk show in town last week.  Most of it was out of my budget range but neat to look at. Cannot seem to find a picture of the dress that I liked though (mystery dress!).

I looked for inexpensive exercise gear and was a bit bewildered by hand wash only items at one store.  No thank you. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 38 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • pocketvenus
    • ran8
    • marinaanne147
    • dianabt
    • janinebt