officegal

Post your recent hauls!

I know a lot of us made resolutions to stop buying new things, but did you really pass up some of the post-holiday sales and deals as well as newly released limited edition goods?  Confess!  :smileyvery-happy:

My recent items are:

TARINA TARANTINO Sparklicity Pure Gold (so pretty!)
LORAC Tie Dye For Lip Gloss Collection (great value)
TARINA TARANTINO Supernova Nail Lacquer - Starchild (50% off)
SEPHORA COLLECTION Daily Brush Cleaner To Go (morning staple for lazy days when I haven't cleaned my brushes)
BOSCIA Peppermint Blotting Linens ($6Cdn @ 3x)
CLARINS Instant Sun Shimmer Blush in Light (50% off)
BY TERRY Rouge Delectation Lipstick in Vanilla Cinnamon (50% off)

500 Point Perk:  Benefit Coralista (full size) and Bad Gal Mascara (deluxe sample)

Non-Sephora items:

MAC Soiree Nail Polish from the Cham Pale Collection

MAC Dangerous Cuvee Paint Pot from the Cham Pale Collection

jmoxcey

Re: Post your recent hauls!

So for this year I have been trying to cut back on my Sephora spending since my UPS guy automatically thinks there is a package for me when he sees a sephora box on his truck....I do live close to a store, but my store isn't too big, so I have to get a lot of things online (including the UD 24/7 15th anniversary set).  So far in 2011 I have gotten:

A train case

Urban Decay 24/7 15th anniversary eyeliner set

Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol. 3

Bliss perfume/naked body butter set

Glee mini nail polish set (as a present for my niece)

Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner duo with sharpener in Whiskey and Flipside

I am trying to hold back haha!  I can't wait to see what Urban Decay's next anniversary item is going to be.....

mermadelove

I wonder what my UPS guy thinks. Especially when I get two Sephora boxes on the same day or two in a week!

officegal

I gave in and bought the new Dior Gris Montaigne nail polish, which is absolutely gorgeous.  I also bought the Clinique Chubby Stick while I was at it.  I had been waiting for both eagerly, especially the nail polish.  Have a look!

img 016.jpg

img 013.jpg

serendipity01

officegal - I love that nail polish! 

This weekend I picked up the new OPI "Black Shatter" top coat from the Katy Perry collection.  I'll attach a picture, but sorry it looks messy because I just painted over the polish I've been wearing for the past week (Zoya's "Pasha", which is sort of a putty/brownish/greyish color).  I think it would be interesting if they made it in other colors as well.  I'm not sure now I'm liking this black... I'll have to try it over other colors.

I also just ordered a Clarisonic Pro!  I originally wanted the grey one, but it was hard to find (hard enough trying to get the "pro" version), so I settled for white.  I'm still really excited about it, though... can't wait till it comes in the mail.  :smileyhappy:

I have my eye on the new Stila blush with the heart pattern that's on the Sephora homepage too!  So cute!  I wonder if there will be a good VIB promo for February....

OPI Black Shatter

mermadelove

I LOVE that finish, Sarithor!

And ladies I bought a Clarisonic Mia laast year during the friends and family sale. BEST purchase I ever made. The first one I got was defective, so when I went to visit my parents for Thansgiving, I brought it with me and exchanged it in person ( I buy online99% of the time) because I didn't want to be without it for two weeks or more!

If you go to the Clarisonic website they have thme in laveder, white, aqua, white with pink hearts AND you can have them personalized!!!!

IF mine ever breaks I'm totally getting a personalized one in lavender......or aqua........ :smileyvery-happy:

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@mermadelove, @serendipity01: I really want the yellow Mia -- the only thing that's keeping me from buying it is that it's only one speed, and my skin tends to be on the dry side and at times a little sensitive. For that reason, I wanted the Plus or the Pro...but I may not need more than one speed. I've read many reviews (for the Mia), and the vast majority of them are positive, including from people with dry and/or sensitive skin...so I think I'm leaning toward the Mia (and it comes in yellow!!!).

: )

daisy346

@katie1724, that's so funny! I do that too (buy and return). It's a habit I'm trying to break, actually. I'll break down & buy stuff, then by the next day I realize I don't need it and I'll end up returning it. Returning things has saved me a lot of money, though. There's something satisfying about it...it feels like money in my pocket. I do keep a large portion of the things I buy, otherwise my makeup drawers wouldn't be bulging.

I've decided I'm getting the Clarasonic Mia. I feel like I should wait for some kind of discount though- 10% or 20% or whatever. On something that expensive it'll make a big difference.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@daisy346: I think I've decided on the Mia, too! Is it weird that I really want the yellow one (not sold at Sephora)? I don't want to sacrifice the points...and I do want to wait for a 10 or 20% off, but I want to buy it soon because I'm anxious to try it...hmmm...

I love doing returns, but they have to be items I've never touched. I feel too guilty to return things I've even swatched! I know Sephora's policy is to take back "gently used" items, but once when I was returning, the cashier made a face and was like, "You used this..." but I hadn't at all! I just said, "No, I didn't even open it..." and she was like, "Well, it sure looks like it, and when you use things, we have to throw them away..." (insert pointed look in my direction). Now, I completely understand that customers must abuse their policy all the time (meaning, trying to return half-used items that do not fall under the "gently used" category) so I *do* understand where she was coming from, but I was so embarrassed!

So sometimes I feel too guilty to return, thinking of that makeup going to waste (if they really do throw it out). It would be one thing if they made it into testers, but that was not the implication (and maybe they can't for hygiene reasons?). As a result, I *try* to be more discerning about what I buy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :smileytongue:

officegal

Thanks, all!

@serendipity - I love your nails!  I'm fascinated by the shatter but it's not my style so I'm not going to buy it.  Looks great on others, though!

Re: returns - I don't like to return unless a product really lets me down.  One, cuz I'm lazy.  Two, I don't like dealing with judgy salespeople.  Like, what's it to them if someone returns something?  I realize it can turn into waste but it's not like the cost of the item is being deducted from their paycheck.  Once I kept a new blouse in the plastic bag for a long time before I took it back to return it, and the reason for returning it was that I didn't try it on at the store and I later discovered that my hand would NOT pass through the wrist opening of the blouse!  But the salesgirl was incredibly judgmental and practically snarled at me as to whether I had worn it.  I was like, "LOOK IT DOESN'T FIT, you snarky -beeeeeeeep."  Ugh.  I'd rather not buy something than deal with that.  And I never returned to that store again.

mermadelove

@katie1742: I think that if you are worried about sensitive skin, just get the "delicate" brush heads for your replacement heads. They have the regular that it comes with, sensitve, and delicate, delicate being the most gentle. I got those thinking that the regular would be too harsh, but honestly I use the regular head , er, regularly EVEN WITH exfoliating cleansers with jojoba beads and I haven't had any problems.

@everyone: Salespeople have no right to be judgemental-- like you said, it's not like it's coming out of their paycheck! I RARELY return. I read reviews religiously and only return something if it's broken or REALLY sucks. But the whole point of high prices of "designer" and non drug store makeup is that you should be able to return it if it doesn't work for you! Of course I'm not condoning returning things you've used for like three months!! That's just cheesey. :smileyvery-happy:

officegal

mermadelove wrote:
But the whole point of high prices of "designer" and non drug store makeup is that you should be able to return it if it doesn't work for you! Of course I'm not condoning returning things you've used for like three months!! That's just cheesey. :smileyvery-happy:

Which is funny because the super luxe designer department store in Canada (Holt Renfrew) won't let you return things if you've used them despite paying an arm and a leg.  I have a full bottle of an Armani foundation that doesn't match my face that I can't return because I stupidly used it a few times without realizing it oxidizes on my face.

But on the other hand, they won't let you walk out of the store with damaged/tainted goods either.  Yesterday I was trying to buy a pair of sunglasses (I lost my Michael Kors :smileysad:) and there were only two remaining of the one I wanted in the store at the moment.  One was display, which I didn't want.  The second was fine but the saleswoman dropped it and gave it a scratch after I had already paid for it.  It was a tiny scratch but I didn't want to walk out with something that was damaged and she was super apologetic about it.  They're the same way when it comes to bags and purses, too... unlike some other places where the sales staff pretend like they don't see the damage mark on the item and treat you like you're delusional.

mermadelove

Not to get us totally back on topic of recent hauls, but I got the first of two expected packages today. :smileyhappy:

As you may know, I have been experimenting with False eyelashes lately and so I started doing some research. Islandqt had suggested Ardell for a great drugstore brand of lashes, so I tied them out. Those were a win. I also tried NYC drugstore brand. Those were a TOTAL FAIL!!! So in googling across the web, I found that Ardell had a line called invisiband, which are supposed to have an invisible band once you put them on, so they are easier to put on without having to worry as much about masking the line, blah, blah. I haven't used them yet, but considering they came exactly as advertised, with free shipping, great turnaround time and were cheaper than what I pay at the drugstore, I'm happy with what I got in the mail!
THe invisibands ones that I got were as follows:

These are sterilized human hair

Lacies: really long, lush and full

Whispies: long criscross hairs

Fairies: short to medium to long alternating  length, tapered hairs

Scanties: tapered short to long clusters

Hotties: really long, tapered, alternating length hairs

These were clearly the special party time ones, synthetic hair, I think :

Sophisticated: long criss cross hairs with fine silver micro glitter

Romantic: long , dense criss cross hairs with dots of chunky irridescent glitter

serendipity01

@mermadelove - I've heard good things about the Sonia Kashuk Full Glam lashes from Target... have you tried those?  I've never tried false lashes before, but they look nice when I see them on other people and in photos.  I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding in July and I'm thinking of wearing them for that, but I should probably try wearing some before then.  :smileyhappy: 

mermadelove

serendipity01 wrote:

@mermadelove - I've heard good things about the Sonia Kashuk Full Glam lashes from Target... have you tried those?  I've never tried false lashes before, but they look nice when I see them on other people and in photos.  I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding in July and I'm thinking of wearing them for that, but I should probably try wearing some before then.  :smileyhappy: 

Unfortunately I live in rural VT and there isn't a Tar-ghay in this STATE!!!!! I know-- woe is me! But the next time I go I'll be sure to check them out. I hear good things about alot of that line!

And I do recommend practicing before the wedding! islandqt recommended some videos and they were great. If you just search on youtube for false eyelashes, you'll find a number of ways to put them on. Try them all until you find a way that works for you!

serendipity01

Hooooray -- I got my Clarisonic in the mail today!  Now to wait 24 hours for it to charge....... 

btw, did anyone try the Clarisonic brand cleansers that it comes with?  If so, what did you think of it?

Clarisonic, yay!

mermadelove

I tried it. It's Ok, I packed it with my travel cleansers but Iwouldn't buy it again on it's own. I like using my favorites.

serendipity01 wrote:

Hooooray -- I got my Clarisonic in the mail today!  Now to wait 24 hours for it to charge....... 

btw, did anyone try the Clarisonic brand cleansers that it comes with?  If so, what did you think of it?

Clarisonic, yay!

officegal

*stares lustfully at the Clarisonic*  :smileyhappy:

Today I caved and got the new Smashbox In Bloom shadow palette. 

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P277600&categoryId=C10905

But I got it from Shoppers Drug Mart where they were giving out a $10 giftcard with purchases above $50 (this palette is Cdn$55).  Soooo... not as bad as could have been?  Anyway, it's SO PRETTY!!!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@officegal: I'm staring lustfully at that Clarisonic, too!

*one day! (and preferably sooner, rather than later)*

@anaa: I recently bought a NARS collection, too! This one was called Tainted Love, and it had an Angelika Multiple and gloss, and Schiap nail polish. All are hot pink, but the gloss and the multiple both can look natural on. Schiap looks like true HOT pink -- circa Crayola Fluorescent Crayons circa 1987. Love!

: )

mermadelove

FINALLY got my latest haul from Sephora. It was delayed due to the massive snow storm! So far I've used 2 of the 4 UD shadow pencils I finally settled on (Delinquent and Morphine) , the new Tarte Amazoniam clay blush in Blissful, Tarte LipSurgence Stain in Enchanted, anf the UD All Nighter Spray. I'll rport back later on how everything held up today! I can already tell you that I love the colors on everything. I was a little worried about the Tarte blush because I got the dark peach one instead of the coral one. Ithought it would be too intense. Fortunately, like most Tarte products, it has buildable coverage so it didn't end up looking silly. :smileyhappy:

officegal

@katie - I have the Schiapp polish and love it in the summer.  :smileyhappy:

@mermade - Do review for us!  I'm so curious about the Tarte clay blush.  I hated their clay eyeliner which dried and shrivelled up in the pot within weeks after being opened.  :/

katie1724

[ Edited ]

officegal wrote:

@katie - I have the Schiapp polish and love it in the summer.  :smileyhappy:

Hah! I quoted!!! Thanks, mermadelove. Anyway, I LOVE how Schiap looks! It's a little bright (one of my guy friends was like, "Nice...nails..."), but I love it. It made me want to buy the Schiap lipstick, but it would look ridiculous on me. No, really.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 967 replies
  • 1474 hearts
  • 118 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • btmod1
    • tenngal
    • chewcifer
    • kalex
    • runy