Ipsy June 2014

notcreative

Ipsy June 2014

[ Edited ]

I love the sneak peeks, so I wanted to start the new thread for this month.  Even though I love trying new things I otherwise would never buy, I like having an idea of what is coming.

Looks like the bag does have the lei/flower theme in support of the luau.

Spoiler 1 (Lips)

NYX Butter Lip Gloss

IpsyJune20141.png 

*No other items are in the picture, so it looks like everyone will be receiving one.

Spoiler 2 (Eyeliner)

Jesse's Girl Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner

NickaK Shimmer Eyeliner (both in the middle are this brand)

Ofra Cosmetics Eyeliner

IpsySoilerJune20142.png

*It looks like everyone will receive one of these three options.

Spoiler 3 (Face)

OleHenriksen The Clean Truth Cleansing Cloths

Be a Bombshell Lash Out Mascara

Laneige Complexion Correction BB Cushion

ClariSEA Sea Salt Solutions Face Rapid Detox Charcoal Exfoliant

MDSolarSciences Mineral Tinted Cream SPF30

Ofra Cosmetics Universal Brow Pencil

Skinn Olive & Enzyme Rich Cleanser and Resurfacing Mask 

Essence of Beauty Wind Kissed Fine Fragrance Body Mist

DERMADoctor DD Cream

Realtree Perfume

IpsyJuneSpoiler20143.png

*It looks like everyone will get two of these ten samples.

Spoiler 4 (Hair)

Dove Pure Care Dry Oil

Marc Anthony Dream Waves Beach Spray

Carol's Daughter Sacred Tiare Anti Breakage and Anti frizz Styling Cream

IpsySpoilerJune20144.jpg

*It looks like everyone will get one of these three options.

Spoiler 5 (the bag)

IpsySneakpeek5June4014.jpg

Mystiques

Re: Ipsy June 2014

(0) Hearts

Can't wait to get my bag now :smileyhappy:

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I know.  This bag is very cute.  They could put sand in it, and I would still want it.  Maybe, it is one I will actually use.

happygen

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thank you so much notcreative for doing this for us!!!  :smileyhappy:  I can't wait to receive mine now!! :smileyhappy:  It looks really cool this month! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

notcreative

(0) Hearts

You're welcome.  I am always excited for my bag.  As long as it improves a little on last month, I am sure I will stay excited.

malday

The bag is pretty!

notcreative

I agree.  This is something I could see myself carrying to a beach themed party.  Most of the time, the bags just go into a big box to permanently reside.

almostyou

I used three of mine last Christmas to fill with little makeup and nail goodies for three of my young cousins. It worked well. They felt like fancy ladies with their little makeup bags and goodies and I was happy to find a good use for them and save a bit of money in the process.

MK89

(0) Hearts

What a cute idea! I love making kids happy :smileyhappy:

notcreative

(0) Hearts

That is a cute idea.  It sure beats having them sit on a box.

notcreative

The bag is up.  It fits into the theme nicely and looks very pretty.

StyleLynn

I'll admit that I have cancelled and then subscribed to Ipsy a few times, I think I just like getting mail... In Canada depending on the exchange rate I pay $16-$17 a month for it, I don't understand how angry some people get on Facebook over the $10 price in the US because it is always a way higher value and you can't always please everyone. The products I know I won't use (from Ipsy and other subscriptions) I put away and throw in gift bags to give my girlfriends for Birthdays or Christmas, I always find a use for them and factor that into the value.

notcreative

[ Edited ]

Those comments on Facebook are sad.  I have to assume that the people getting angry: 1. probably do not have a lot of money 2. are hard to please 3. do not handle disappointment well.  Of course, I could be wrong, but that happens when you make assumptions.  I think the type of people who take it personally when they do not get what they want (more than just getting a little bummed) do not belong in any subscription box.  They should just buy the items they want.  

I never get angry when I do not get a sample I wanted.  Ipsy cannot mind read after all.  They probably do not have enough of the most lusted after items anyway.  Yes, I have gotten bag envy, but not to the extent that I create angry posts.  I have not cancelled yet, but I can see why when paying a 60-70% premium that you would have a harder time with disappointing months.  

I would only factor items I do not use in the value if I put them in a TSB or traded them.  If I give them away, I am not benefiting from the value.  That may sound selfish, but I cannot think of it any other way.  I actually give things to friends and family often and donate things as well, but other than making them happy and me feel good there is no monetary value earned (with the exception of large charitable donations in which I do get a receipt for tax purposes).

Someone on Facebook yesterday made a comment about her business background and others took issue.  I have a business degree, so her argument made perfect sense to me.  When you sit in all of those classes, it is hard not to let the information sink in even in your personal life.  Her point was no matter how little the cost if you are not getting the value, it is not a good business decision to invest.  Who cares if the items are worth over $10?  Will I get more than $10 worth of use?  And, by I, she means her, not her friends/family.  I agree with her.  A business would get a write off for things given/donated away, so it is not a perfect theory.  Write offs never equate to the full value though, so it explains the "greed" a little bit.

Of course, we all come in with opinions on the value of the bag.  For those who feel the bag is worth $10 as long as their friends and family benefit when they do not, no one can tell them they are wrong.  It is their money, and they can value it the way they see fit.  That said, I am sure my friends and family who benefit from my purchase decisions are grateful, and I am happy when they like the products.  

For me, thus far, I have not determined the value is less than $10, so I will continue to subscribe.  Even if one bag dipped below $10, I would not cancel right away either.  It could be an outlier.  

meagboho

(0) Hearts

Ipsy also likely makes all profit on the bag...they likely get the samples for free from these companies, thats how most boxes work.

notcreative

[ Edited ]

I believe the samples are all free, and agree there is a profit margin.  However, I doubt it is all profit.  They have to incur shipping costs, advertising costs, packaging costs for the pink envelopes, staffing costs, rent or mortgages for their offices and warehouses, etc.  My guess is Ipsy makes a decent profit even with all of those costs taken out.  I also do not know if they pay for someone to make the bags each month or at least pay for the materials.

meagboho

(0) Hearts

I guess I meant Gross Profit, since there arent COGs. Assembling and shipping and staff are all important costs, but they don't pay for the stuff they sell.  IPSY does these flash sales so that companies can make back the money they spent giving them those samples quickly.

notcreative

(0) Hearts

They are probably making a decent profit on the flash sales.  I have ordered a couple and they are charged by and shipped by Ipsy.  Their staff is already on hand, so not a lot of added costs for these sales I bet, plus they are doing cheap advertising on Facebook and emails to people who are already members.  Talk about targeted advertising and a captive audience.  We have nowhere to run!  Anyway, I am sure you're right that Ipsy is making a nice profit.  

alainasmom

Some months I don't really feel like I got $10 worth of products I'll use.  BUT I still feel like the surprise, the anticipation, the thrill of getting a pink package and the opportunity to try some new things is worth $10.  Every time.  Many of the products I pass to my teenage sister, so that's two of us getting surprise goodies for $10!  I don't think I can beat that. 

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I definitely love the anticipation and the surprise.  However, when the products do not excite me, they sit in my stockpile unused.  Eventually, I may pass them on to someone, so they can be used.

With all the box options out there, I need to feel like my investment is worth it (for me, not whomever will benefit from the items I do not want).  So far, I am sticking with the box based on how awesome the March bag was and because I have more products to try from April and May before I can decide if they were worth it.

I guess the takeaway is while a product may not excite me upon receiving it, you never really know until you try it.  Once I try it, I could love it.  I currently spend at least $77.21 a month on my 5 boxes (more at times because I often upgrade), so I would cancel one in a heartbeat if I felt it was not worth it.  It would save me money, and I have four more to pick up the slack (although I would probably find another one to add).

divagirl90

I'm content with this bag so far because I like trying new products/brands. I see several things that I would love to try. I've found a few favorites (such as Nicka nail polish) through Ipsy. It's $10 of fun per month for me.

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I love trying new products too.  That is the biggest appeal to me.  It introduces me to things I normally would not buy, but I sometimes end up loving them.  The Be a Bombshell eyeshadow quad from March is amazing.  It is pigmented, buttery (for the price, I think it's $16 or so) and does not crease.  It is the only thing I have used from the March bag so far, but it made the bag worth it.  I never would have bought that on my own.  Plus I love that stunning blue/green shadow color.

I have five subscriptions, and Ipsy was my least favorite in May.  That makes it a little less fun for me, especially when there are so many other boxes out there I can switch to.  Based on March's bag and the fact that I still need to try more products from April and May to assess value, I am still happy with the subscription.

AlisG

(0) Hearts

I'm still unsure about how I feel about ipsy. It's cute to get that pink bag every month.. but at the same time.. I don't know if it adds up to worth it to get it here in Canada. :/

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 149 replies
  • 100 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • malday
    • taketheroses
    • Mystiques
    • dolceloure
    • divagirl90
    • StyleLynn