bananachoox3

Haul Part 2

[ Edited ]

I decided to make a part 2 to the previous thread since that thread is now way too long to look through.  Can you believe over 17,000 views, over 500 replies, 77 people, 149 photos, and 861 hearts in one thread? We love hauls.  

I did a haul today, what a surprise. Mostly from Sephora and a bit from Ulta.

Ulta:

20130702_202316.jpg

Stila In Natural Palette for $15! It comes with 6 eye shadows, 1 bronzer, and 1 highlighter. Pretty good deal for a good product that retail at $73. Plus I got a mini Stila Stay All Day Mascara with any Stila purchase.

Ecotools Deluxe Fan Brush

Real Technique Setting Brush

Nicole by OPI in Selena.

Sephora:

20130702_202225.jpg

Benefit 15 hour primer. Really wanted to try this.

Boscia Blotting Sheets

Illamasqua Hydra Gel. I wanted to try this as well since I heard its a gel moisturizer/primer

Urban Decay Naked Basic

Dior Addict Lip Glow

Dior Shimmer Star in Amber Diamond

Rosebud Salve Lip Balm, brought this since I couldn't find Dior Creme De Rose.

Samples:

Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil

Korres Wild Rose Cream

I also got to test Marc Jacobs New perfume in Honey. OMG AMAZING. I love the smell of it. Doesn't smell like honey to me. Smells like honeydew to me lol.

rikkie

Re: Haul Part 2

Pretty! I am drooling over your Coconut Water Cheek Gelee! I don't think I could pull off the orange one, but all the others = love.

jenpred

The texture is what sold me on them. They're just perfect for summer!

I saw a look with the orange one that was so, so pretty. I can't remember the name of the blogger, but she blended the orange one with the brown one, and it gave her that perfect bronze-y glow! It was a beauty moment that became the spark for me purchasing them :smileyhappy:.

rikkie

Oooh, I didn't even think about blending them! Do you think Sephora would let me in RIGHTNOW so I can swatch some of them together??? :smileyvery-happy:

neko333

I always see these and wonder how people have that much money to spend on makeup. Don't get me wrong, I buy a good bit, but I almost never buy it at retail price (except for things I really love). Splurging $20 on one product is a lot for me. Just the other day I found a bunch of unopened Benefit makeup in a thrift store for $5 (unfortunately there was nothing there I was interested in). I also found a bunch of stilla mascara still in the packaging at another thrift store later that day. I'm not really understanding why I keep finding this stuff. I figure it's excess stores don't need. This happens with clothing and perfume also. 

ChicDabbler

When I was a teenager, spending $20+ on an make up item definitely seems ridiculous. However, people here are of different income/age group and some of us sacrifices other areas and budget for our obsessions. I take very good care of my clothe/shoes/accessories and haven't brought any in half year, so all that budget goes to beauty stuff. I almost always buy in the sales section for 50% off, with a $15 or 20% off coupon, or in a value kit. I can buy a drugstore powder that I need to reapply 5 times a day and gone in 3 month, or a high end powder I apply 1-2 times a day and last me 2 yrs. In the long term, doesn't really cost me more. 

True, I don't need a lot of things, but go to anyone's house, I bet it's 50% necessity and 50% want (at least). This is the place to talk about products, beauty tips and such, not Alcoholic Anonymous Beauty Addict Anonymous. What you are doing is like going to a hardcore gaming forum and ask why would anyone spend so much time/money on games, or to an autoshow and ask why would anyone spend thousands on car parts they don't need etc etc.... 

rikkie

I understand the feeling, my granny has always sold Avon and so growing up I could order anything I wanted and she would buy it for me with her awesome discount. When I wanted to expand my horizons a bit I had quite the sticker shock even buying products at the drugstore, haha.

Over the last 10 years I've tried a lot of different products but I've found that I could buy 10 $5 lipsticks over time and I would wear them a few times and then never ever go back to them because they are sticky or messy or too glittery or disappear really quickly or I could get 2 $25 lipsticks that I am really thrilled with every second I have them on and they last all day and the color can be applied easily in many ways and looks great no matter what. In the end I can have 10 lipsticks I throw away, having used less than 1 tube's worth or use up two lipsticks completely and feel like I am giving myself a luxurious treat every time I put them on. The second option makes me much happier these days, though some people may be totally satisfied with the $5 one. I just thought I didn't like lipstick, but I just didn't like cheap lipstick.

I also love nothing more than getting a steal of a deal, I stalk the sale sections of a ton of websites and pay less than 50% of retail a shocking amount of the time. When I came to my senses and realized that I was throwing money away by buying products I didn't even like or want to use just because they were cheap, I started focusing on finding those deals even more, it's kind of my hobby for now, to rebuilt my stash of beauty items with things I want to use.

I spent months and months recently in a rural area of a foreign country with no transportation of my own, so I would have had to pay for a cab everywhere I wanted to go on top of the cost of whatever I wanted to do. So instead of taxis, drinks/meals out, movies, shopping, or anything else really, I enjoyed the opportunity to focus on taking care of my skin and trying out new looks. It's totally not an everyday situation, but despite making Rouge, I think I spent less this year staying in and pampering myself a bit than by going out all the time. Even a cab ride into the city, light shopping and dinner once in a while would easily have run me more than the ~$150 a month I spent here instead. I hope that sort of gives you one weird perspective on it, haha. 

neko333

(0) Hearts

I totally get having one or two really good items that are better than drugstore alternatives (somethings you just can't buy as cheap and be satisfied with). Though some people don't seem to buy one or two good lipsticks or things they need. It seems they go out and buy tons of this stuff just for the hell of it because it's new or name brand. I'm not implying it's bad to splurge on items or brands you like, I'm just saying if you have a $20 lipstick for everyday of the month that seems overboard. That and I've ran into the over hyped name brand thing several times. Half the times I can't figure out why it's worth $80. I've also ran into situations where I found cheaper, better solutions, to things I were using that were more expensive. My recent discovery was Holika Holika BB cream $6, I've tried drugstore and plenty of high end ones that fell flat but found a cheap one that's perfect and seven times less expensive. I also understand acquiring expensive items over time but people who go to Sephora and spend $200 every other month seems more obsessive than just needs and wants. 

starletta8

I'm going to choose my words carefully, because everyone is entitled to their opinion.  That's one of the great things about BT. However, as one of the frequent posters on this thread, I have to respond to the final sentence of your post since I feel judged reading it.

"I also understand acquiring expensive items over time but people who go to Sephora and spend $200 every other month seems more obsessive than just needs and wants. "

1. You're assuming that spending more than your personal cutoff is obsessive.  Not true.  As many people have stated, different strokes for different folks.

2. For many people, myself included, this is a hobby and something that we enjoy.  Many people have a hobby that they spend more money on than others. Personally, I eat in with my BF rather than going out to fancy dinners all the time, and we avoid the bar/club scene. When I was younger, I spent far more at bars than I did on makeup. Some of my friends pour thousands of dollars into their bikes, expensive jewelry, etc. Makeup and skincare happen to be my thing. It's actually a healthy thing for adults to have hobbies.

3. As I mentioned downthread, there are a range of ages, income levels, and beauty expertise represented on this thread.

4. Let me be very clear: you're entitled to your opinion. However, there's a lot of judgment implicit in your statements about what's appropriate and what's excessive.  I'm sure that your limits work well for you- and I applaud you for sticking to things that work in your life. 

As long as people are paying their bills and not going into debt, I don't see a problem with buying as much of something (anything) as they want. Luckily, we don't live in a one-size-fits-all world.

I don't have to justify anything to you (or anyone else, for that matter), but for the record- I may be a frequent poster in this thread, but I handle my money responsibly. My Sephora purchases are all on my debit card or cash. I don't carry a balance on credit cards, and I have a mortgage.

I'm glad that your personal limits work well for you. I honestly am.  I just ask you to consider that it could be a totally different situation for different people and reserve judgment.

neko333

(0) Hearts

Don't get offended so easily, I'd say the same thing to anyone about anything. I was just talking out of curiosity. Mainly about how this works financially, how people can possibly use this much product, or why some people will splurge on things because of a name. Lasts longer, works better, or saves money, all that is sensible. For example, one trip to Sephora and the products last me 1-2 years. I have makeup that's probably 5 years old (and needs to be thrown out) that I use frequently because I still have product left. So when I see someone buy so much every month I can't fathom how they could ever use it all. Yeah I could have posted in a makeup hating forum, or shown this to my friends in which they all would have replied "that's crazy". However there's no point in asking or posting something just for everyone to agree with you. That's not a discussion just fueling your own ego. Ergo I comment here. Somehow a nonchalant comment turned into something silly. Yeah, I'm done though, there's nothing more for me to gain knowledge wise from this post, so I'll leave you be with a quote. 

"If you make fun of something or say something truthful, someone, somewhere will be unhappy. Or say they're unhappy even when they're not." - Greg Gutfeld 

rikkie

All really great points I think. Also, because Sephora carries mostly higher end brands, those of us who post here often tend to talk about those brands and their products. That doesn't mean we eschew anything that doesn't originate in the holy Sephora bag, haha.

I hope that you'll get to spend some more time looking around on Beauty Talk. You'll see lots of references to drug store brands, putting together home made scrubs, great products, regrettable products, all sorts of things. There have been some great posts recently where people have reviewed face masks, cleansers. and moisturizers and anyone could share their experience with any brand they liked, it is more about sharing knowledge that showing off if that makes sense. 

jenpred

Well said, starletta8. I take care of all of my financial obligations before I do any type of personal shopping. Like many others have said, everyone is different. Thanks for keeping it diplomatic :smileyhappy: .

arielaaaaaaaa

Well Everyone has varying opinions. If your not spending the money on illegal things, or things bad for your health, your bills are covered, Then i say buy whatever you want. Everyone spends more money on something in their life that others wouldn't. It's just that here on BeautyTalk we are all Makeup, Skincare, or Hair Care, obsessed! I however do need to spend a lot on my skincare routine, as i can't go see dermatologist, And now i don't need to after fixing most skin concerns thanks to Sephora. And i do have a $20+ Lipstick for every day of the month :smileyhappy: And i think they are worth every penny. I've never liked drugstore makeup, i've tried many things, and they just sit in my unused bin, so that's the real waste, i won't even consider drugstore things anymore unless it's got a really good review from some blogs i follow. And Yes, It's a bit more obsessive then a necessity but it doesn't really matter to me, if it makes me happy, Not hurting anyone, is there anything wrong with it?

DoctorsMrs

Different people get joy from different things.  Perhaps you spend a large sum on something that others wouldn't enjoy.  I personally get a thrill from makeup-- high end makeup.  There are times when I'd rather have a gigantic Sephora splurge than a new piece of jewelry. Some people like expensive cars, some people like luxury vacations, some people eat out at a five star restaurant every night of the week. I like owning a different expensive lipstick for every day of the month. Different strokes for different folks.

dolceloure

Truth!! Personally, I don't get why anyone would have 20 different blushes, but those same gals would probably be befuddled by my 56-bottle perfume collection. :smileytongue: All relative.

wendyomgwar

I have 20 blushes... and I'm definitely befuddled by your  56 bottle perfume collection xP and also totally jealous :smileywink:

starletta8

@neko333- Just remember that this board covers people of varying walks of life.  People have different income levels, different priorities, and many are even professional (or aspiring) MUAs.

rikkie

Went to the mall for a pair of earrings today and left with these instead

nars.png

Nars Andy Warhol collection Walk on the Wild Side set 

Guerlain Ombre Eclat 4 Shades Palette in Perle d'Argent 

and not pictured, FAB Facial Radiance Pads (60)

Total? About $60 :smileywink:

Also popped in to Sephora for the Dior Jelly Lip Pen in Gaia because it's pretty and it would have been all sold out the next time I was back I'm sure. Everything else can wait until the bonus point event!

poshified

Dior Jelly Lip Pens > Clinique Chubby Sticks :smileyhappy:

Where'd you get that Guerlain palette?

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Check out the reply to arielaaaaaaaa below, there was a treasure trove going on!

arielaaaaaaaa

Ah Beautiful!! I'm totally jealous of the Dior Jelly Lip Pen! I looks like a totally gorgeous color!

rikkie

[ Edited ]

I am in love with it! The color is sheer but buildable, and it has the tiniest bit of sparkle to it for extra shininess. The store had all three shades still surprisingly. 

I so want to go back for some of the things I didn't bring home with me from Winners (TJ Maxx owns it but it's just in Canada, for anyone who doesn't know what on earth I mean).

I don't know why, but they have the motherload  of discounted stuff right now, piles of Smashbox, Becca, Elizabeth Arden, I sadly abandoned a limited edition Chanel lipstick, a couple Givenchy eyeshadows, Bobbi Brown lipstick sets, OPI polish, Atelier fragrances, most of the NARSskin line, Clarins Extra–Firming Day Cream and their  self-tanner, Guerlain bronzers... it was like Christmas had come for no reason! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 446 replies
  • 739 hearts
  • 54 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar
    • kimmi1115