killahbabe

February Food Haul From MYchoi to Me! :)

[ Edited ]

The lovely MYchoi was fabulous enough to offer to ship me some delicious treats from California to Pennsylvania. She knows I LOVE Asian food but have no Asian markets near my homestead. Here are some of the wonderful things she included:

SAM_1126.JPG^Large flat rate box JAM-PACKED with goodies!

SAM_1127.JPG^Seaweed.

SAM_1129.JPG^Melon flavored gummies (one of my favorites!) and melon flavored hard candies.

SAM_1131.JPG^Green tea, panda, and strawberry pocky. I busted into the green tea pocky IMMEDIATELY!

SAM_1132.JPG^Various crackers/biscuits/pies.

SAM_1133.JPG

^Bae, various mochi, and green tea swiss rolls (another fave).

SAM_1134.JPG^Strawberry Calpico, aloe drink, and melon yogurt drink.

Do any of you have any favorite Asian foods, or foods from your culture or other cultures that you love?

killahbabe

Re: February Food Haul From MYchoi to Me! :)

All Asians are the same in that they love awesome food! :smileywink:

evno

Totally! Now let me get my Swiss Roll Cake, and we can eat together! :smileyhappy:

killahbabe

Evno, if you have green tea and/or wasabi kit kats, send some my way! :smileyvery-happy:

malday

Every time I pass by the matcha kit kats in my store I stare but never buy them, and I always immediately regret it after lol. 

evno

Killah, I wasn't kidding! I have it right here in the chocolate flavor! 

20140227_160013.jpg

malday

[ Edited ]

OMG PANDA POCKY. It's my favorite pocky, ugh so good.

Anyway, I live in a very asian heavy community (like 40-40 hispanic and asian, 20% everything else lol). So I would like to suggest trying some dorayaki (little pancakes fille with sweet red bean paste). Everything else I usually eat that doesn't have to be refrigerated is stuff that you received (hooray!). I really love going to asian bakeries too because they always have all sorts of delicious bread and pastries. Also there's this place near my house called Phoenix that has a super good tapioca drink made with coconut milk and mango pieces.

Urbie

I'm not sure how it is in LA, but in Chicago and NYC, Asian bakeries are soooo cheap too.  I always get a huge bag of stuff full to bursting, and it never seems to cost more than $10!

ireneh

@urbie -- tell me where in Chicago!

Urbie

Head over to Chinatown, its off the Cermak-Chinatown Red Line stop.  There's a bunch of bakeries on the main stretch (S Wentworth between Cermak and W 23rd St), and there are also a couple good ones in the Plaza where Joy Yee's and Lao Sze Chuan restaurants are at Archer and Wentworth- I also highly recommend both of those spots for food (Lao Sze Chuan is really spicy though!)

malday

Yes, they are! It's very dangerous for me to walk into one!

killahbabe

MYchoi really wanted to send me some bread but she was worried about how it would keep. Next time though... I'm getting me some bread and pastries. Do you hear that, MYchoi? :smileywink:

rjamlt

[ Edited ]

not sure on the bread- but I was able to send pastries down to my cousin when he was going through military training down south. We put the said yummies in tupperware and then air locked it with the vacuum sealer. Sending it priority it was still fresh for him when it arrived a few days later.

mychoi

upload_4305755454771537695.jpgLoud and clear!

malday

Hmm, I'm sure certain items will keep, they just might be slightly stale depending on the packaging lol (I wouldn't mind that though)

Urbie

Mmmm drooling over your mochi.  I can demolish a package of red bean paste ones in like, 5 seconds.  If there is a Trader Joe's near you, they stock seaweed snack, I eat about 3 or 4 packs a week and aloe juice! Both are made in Korea but packaged in TJ's brand wrap.  Enjoy all those amazing treats!!

My mom is Chinese, so I grew up with little treats from my grandparents- my favorites being egg roll cookies (a thin sheet of egg based cookie with lots of sugar rolled up into a tube), fresh lychee, those lychee jellies tht come in a little cup (like what creamer comes in), those panda crackers filled with chocolate paste, sweet and savory bao- roast pork and red bean paste filling are my favs, and moon cakes! 

So, if you can't tell, I really like red bean paste.  Heehee.

As an adult, I've gotten really into Korean and Japanese food, since I teach ESL to students in Japan and Korea.  When I lived in Chicago I would love going to the Korea Spa to sweat it out in the saunas, and then down a Patbingsu (Korean shaved ice).  I go for Korean BBQ about once a month, because even though it is expensive, I can't go for long without galbi and pigging out on banchan.  I live around the corner from an Izakaya and a couple ramen shops, so I eat a lot of ramen, udon, and onigiri (especially with umeboshi)!

mychoi

Dude I loved papbingsu and korean saunas! Haha

Urbie

Seriously, they are both amazing!  Plus I love going on a "spa day" that only costs $25 if I can manage to turn down a massage and/or snacks (I never can).

LindaDD

Ahh, I just love patbingsu! When the whole tart (haha, I just typed Tarte) yogurt craze started, I was hoping that patbingsu would come along right behind it.

killahbabe

Is Patbingsu similar to the Japanese Kakigori?

Urbie

Yes!  Same idea, slightly different executions.  Patbingsu usually has a whole bunch of toppings on it, usually fresh fruit and red beans or bean paste, although these days you can get pretty much anything that you might put on fro-yo :smileyhappy:

killahbabe

Oooh sounds yummy! I've had melon, mikon, and cherry flavored Kakigori at Epcot back before they ruined it by using a snow cone machine (ew!). I have a serious love for all things melon flavored! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 213 replies
  • 539 hearts
  • 52 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • malday
    • wendyomgwar
    • tracygirl64
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • dianabt