haileymarie1

thinning hair

My hair has became every thin compared to what it used to be from a couple years of heavy hair coloring and processing, wearing hair extensions and heat styling. My hair also seems like it wont grow past my shoulders anymore it just gets to one length and quits. i have tryed the wenn hair care and other moisturizing treatments that you can buy at Walmart and i use sulfate free shampoo, what should i do to help get my hair back?!?!?!?

toniecat

Re: thinning hair

There I was - in Paris, on a long awaited 2nd Honeymoon and my hair had been falling out at an alarming rate for several months.  Well, heck - I was in the Beauty Capital of the world!  I found a large, lovely "Phyto type Pharmacy" in the city and the advisor there wouldn't sell me a shampoo, serum, conditioner or miracle hair growing spray.   (I'd been hoping for a French Miracle Working Magic Wand!!) Nope.  She handed me these vitamins and said, "You must be patient.  Take these every day.  When you see a change and some regrowth, probably in 4 months, come back and we'll discuss products for the hair surface - but first, you must handle this problem from the inside."   I as very disappointed.  Not only was I leaving in 4 days, but losing my hair on a 2nd honeymoon is quite 'unsexy'.

However, I found that the vitamins were sold by Sephora back in the States and after 4 months of these vitamins, my hair was coming back.  It's never returned to it's High school thickness or even my 20s thickness - but there was more now than 4 months earlier and I intend to be faithful to these vitamins and see where it takes me.  (I'd love for it to take me back to Paris . . . someday . . .)  I highly recommend this product!

BrideSona

(0) Hearts

What were the vitamins? What brand was it? Don't you just love those French pharmacies! I'd love for there to be one or two here in the states. With all their products and all of those incredibly smart pharmacists.

lovelykatya

I would recommend first of all checking with your doctor to run some blood tests, thinning hair could be from a lot of issues - from low count of WBC - leading to anemia, to thyroid (when you'll see your doctor they will run a full panel of tests, so they will be able to tell you once the tests are done what's the deficiencies/overabundances  are in ) , to proper diet, to not having enough of a specific supplement, or even your hair just needs a break from all the chemicals and styling and, etc.  But you might not know that until you'll talk to an expert.

For time being you could drink a lot of water and make sure to eat healthy.

Hope things will turn out better for you !

BuxomBabe80

First off, let me say that I'm not a doctor or a medical professional. However, I've had problems with my hair thinning for the past year or so. I checked with my family doctor, a dermatologist and an internalist and they all advised against taking prenatal vitamins since I'm not pregnant and not planning to get pregnant again. The Mayo Clinic also advises against this because high levels of certain nutrients over a long period of time may actually be more harmful than helpful. Also, the claims that prenatal vitamins cause thicker hair and nails is scientifically unproven.

If you feel like you're losing a lot of hair, it might be best to visit your family doctor to determine the underlying cause. It can be caused by thyroid problems, which is the case with me. If it's just hair breakage, then you most likely have already determined the cause (heat styling, extensions, chemical treatment/coloring, etc.). Best of luck to you, Hailey!

roseps135

Please go to your doctor to get some blood tests done to make sure it isn't anything serious.  I had a situation where I was losing a lot of hair and the reason why was not pretty.  The sooner you take care of it, the better.  

KP183

BuxomBabe80 - You said your thinning hair was related to thyroid problems, I'm really interested in how you found this out like what was the last straw that made you think you needed to see a doctor? ...I lose A TON of hair in the shower every day and even more brushing/combing after - and have for the past like 5 years, I'm 24 but when i was in high school and till about 20 I had a really thick ponytail, like I had a good amount of hair, now my ponytail is probably no larger than the diameter of a nickel. Obviously everyone loses some hair in the shower and brushing/combing but I really don't do that much with my hair (losing so much hair is my main reason for that - sad :smileysad: ) I have highlighted it but not a ton because I worry about my hair so much...I KNOW that my hair is not coming out because of overworking it or over processing it with bleach/color, it's just my hair falling out and not growing back....Has discovering your thyroid problem helped in any positive way regarding your thinning hair??? Or in any other ways do you feel better??? 

BuxomBabe80

Hi KP183! I have the opposite of Diana. My thyroid is very underactive. After the birth of my son 10 years ago, I was having a really hard time losing the pregnancy weight. I also was constantly exhausted. A lot of that I chalked up to the fact that I also had a 2 year old and I was working full-time, so I would grab a quick (often a little unhealthy) lunch out during the week and wasn't finding much time to exercise. But I knew the exhaustion was just not having two babies. I just felt really sluggish and my body ached a lot. Luckily I had a great doctor who suspected I was anemic or had thyroid problems. Turns out I had both. Over the years my thyroid has leveled back out for a time, but for the past 2 years it's been very underactive. Luckily, getting your thyroid checked is pretty painless! It's just a blood draw and you don't have to fast. I'd check with your family doctor soon. As Diana said, they might also want to check for other things as well. 

Oh, I lost a pretty significant amount of hair every time I shower or brush my hair too. Like you, I also used to have super thick, curly hair. Now it's so much thinner. :smileysad:

I wish you the best of luck in sorting things out!

Gizeh

In my case the thyroid problem (hypothyroidism) came with a ton of signs, from being really tired all the time to hair loss. But for me the last straw was gaining 20 pounds and losing my period. Then I knew it was time for a doctor.

You can check with your doctor, the test is fairly quick. The treatment is easy, just a daily pill. After 4 months of treatment I already lost 10 pounds and got my period back, and feel less tired, but for the hair I think is early to say.

But hair loss can be due to many other reasons, like stress, genes, poor diet, among many others.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

@kp183 sounds like me- I have an overactive thyroid combined with other issues like diabetes that has given me an IMMENSE loss of hair, where I used to have the same thick curls and now its a flat half-wave mess at times LOL. I was able to discover this by constant sweats and heart palpitations I had, as well as extreme thirst and primarily the high blood pressure and pulse. I only went to the doctor after using an elliptical at the gym for 10 minutes and having my pulse shoot to 198!  You could definitely ask your doctor  about running some tests to check your rates and just to rule out that its NOT your thyroid.  It's also a good idea to check before you add any vitamins first to make sure it is not any other health issue. Over time some people just lose their hair and while it's not fun, it CAN be a natural process.  However, if it IS a health issue or thyroid issue it would be a good thing to check for! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
haileymarie1

Thanks for the advise i will try these suggestions out! ☺️

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Haileymarie1, 

Your hair sounds like mine! Lots of color, processing, extensions, heat styling... I think my hair would get to my shoulders too! I agree tha Nioxin works great, and try using sulfate free shampoos. If you can, try to avoid the heat styling as much as possible or at least use a good heat protection spray or serum to coat the hair first. 

I have found that drinking more water as well as adding a B vitamin to my diet has really helped my hair get healthier and stronger (check with your doctor first to make sure it's okay you add it in to your daily intake!). I also take a prenatal which has helped not just my hair but also my skin and nails but again, make sure it won't interact with anything else you may take. :smileyhappy: 

http://www.sephora.com/phytophanere-hair-nails-dietary-supplement-P2884?skuId=1438068

Phyto - Phytophanère Hair And Nails Dietary Supplement

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Titian06

[ Edited ]

Hi, @haileymarie1 !  I suggest you try Nioxin (sold at Ulta).  It's made for thinning hair.  Once you get your thinning hair under control, it should start growing again.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • dianabt
    • roseps135
    • Titian06
    • BrideSona
    • Gizeh