Answer
curvygirli
split ends and long hair
(0) Hearts

This question is very common and I know the answer but I want to know the reasoning behind it.

I get split ends and I want to grow my hair long-> everyone suggests getting a regular trim every 4-6 weeks, even about half an inch and this will help eliminate split ends as well as get my hair to grow faster.

How is this possible? I just find it impossible to be honest.

For example: my hair is up to my chest,  and past years of chemical straightenings have my hair kind of fried. It looks healthy but split ends were to the point where one hair was splitting three different ways, and if you grabbed a chunk of my hair, maybe 1/10 didn't have split ends up to my cheeks. I have done regular trims every 6 weeks for a few years now. Now I have split ends that go up about 2 inches, the occasional ones go up to my cheek but that's rare.

My issue is that how can I let my hair grow longer (goal is up to my elbows) if I keep having to cut it each month? I try to avoid it for a month and then the next hair cut ends up having to cut off more bc the split ends got higher :smileysad:

How much do I need to cut and how often?

Also does it matter if I have split ends? I have healthy hair in general- I use oil treatments twice a week, I use a heat protectant and use heat twice a week and very little.  I am so beyond frustrated... I have been dealing witih trying to grow my hair long and get rid of my split ends for about 8 years now!!!

PS- I got a trim the other day- one inch. I checked out my hair and it's 90% split end free. Can I get rid of those other on my own, just **bleep** very little with scissors on those strands specifically? It really bothers me to have the split ends but I don't want to cut more hair off.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
ciemarquise
Answered
I used to ask the same question, but apparently when your ends split it can unravel (if that makes any sense) up to the follicle and damage it thus stunting growth. After you grow out your chemical treatment and ease up on heating (maybe once a week and use a night routine to keep the style. Also dont heat your hair with oils in it, its literally frying it) you can stop getting a trim every 6 weeks. I get a trim twice a year and my hair is low back length. I recommend using a split end treatment like nexxus line to possibly stretch the time between your trims
curvygirli
(0) Hearts
Thank you for your reply. My treatments were over a few years ago. I am just wondering how to maintain I guess. How do you only cut your hair twice a year and manage your split ends? How much hair do you trim every six months? For me- if I didn't cut it for six months it would be long, and I would have split ends about 3-4 inches long at least. How do I avoid that?

Can you tell me what your hair type is, how often you heat it, what products you use? and how high are your split ends? and how much you trim them?

Sorry for the questions but I just want to know if I can eventually also start only trimming it twice a year.
Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • curvygirli
    • babiiicakesxoxo
    • ciemarquise