juicie4jen

should i get hair extensions (micro link so it doesn't damage hair)..or !!!

hi beauties! okie so on Thanksgiving I stupidly asked my bf's mom to TRIM my hair cuz i didn't want to spend $$ (like $45 and up at salon) just for a trim...sooo after we ate turkeys etc, she CUT my hair. ya i prolly shoulda told her i only want like 2 inches anyways long story SHORT, now my hair is like mid back/bra strap in the back it was freakin waist length!!! i knowww i don't NEED extensions cuz i have thick nice hair (everyone would ask me is ur hair fake etc even salons, stylists etc)!!! i just not used to short(er) hair and i want my looooooong hair back! should i get extensions (plus if i do, ima get highlights extensions so i don't have to chemically get highlights)... please help as i have appt tomorrow to get extensions; here is pic of my current hair CIMG8294.JPG

juicie4jen

Re: should i get hair extensions (micro link so it doesn't damage hair)..or !!!

(0) Hearts

pssht a salon just told me: "When extensions are properly taken care of they will not damage your hair and actually promote hair growth.micro beads are the best method...."

Greyes

o0oh YEA they will tell you that...I just had my stylist text me yesterday actually about what website I bought my extensions I said, hairextionsale.som and then I said, " I had to take them out because they just became to0o knotted and matted." She said "Yea That's how those beaded extensions get. I told you they would be high maintenance lol" I just said "lol yes" What could I say... "Ummmm you didn't tell me I couldn't go about my normal hygienic routine! I asked you if I could wash my hair with them in and you told me yes just don't use Pantene they are bad quality." I was so0o angry but at least I didn't have to have her charge me $100 possibly more to take them out...nope my Daddy did it for free. It's ridiculous that they REALLY don't tell you anything  

juicie4jen

thank you all lovely ladies for taking da time to respond/read my post! phew okie i decided NOT to get extensions; i know stylists will of course tell you "ya it won't/doesn't damage your hair at all".... etc blah blah bcuz they want your money!! i was going to pay $380 and go to someone who does it at her house (cash only, no credit card)...even tho that's not a lot for extensions, that still some money that can be spent on something worthwhile etc! ya i should be thankful for my hair and that it's thick and pretty healthy, ima go to the Hair Shop and look at some clip ins!!~

lylysa

Clip ins will be such a time saver as opposed to microlinks, which can take forever, not to mention the touch up/adjustment process.

With your hair being blunt across like that, it'd be easier to get wefts of clip ins and attach more of them in number to break apart that clear horizontal line formed at the base of your hair than relying on tiny microlink pieces laid side by side and layered.

I know you're probably not wanting to cut your hair down anymore, but consider getting the back tapered into more of a soft "u" shape, it'll help the extensions blend in better because as you're clipping the wefts in from one end to the other, the curvature of your head will cause what's closer to the sides of your face to seem slightly shorter than the middle of the back of your head. You don't have to get much trimmed, here's some photos to give you an idea of the softer shape to help blend the clip ins.

If you're against trimming entirely, opt to trim the extensions. Most clip ins are more tapered and lighter in weight and volume at the ends (like real hair, pictured first below), so trim them to where they match the bluntness of your ends (second photo, I know it's an image of a bang weft, but the ends give you an idea of how to trim full length/regular clip ins).

juicie4jen

hi! tee hee the last pic of the mannequin w the straight bangs is so cute!!~

DTalksAll

When I chopped off my hair in HS I had a difficult time growing it out. It's really thick, and a lot of cuts just didn't look right on me. My stylist & I contemplated extensions, but in the end said it wasn't worth it, it's just too damaging. 

I would never go to someone I don't know/trust to do something that major to my hair, I don't care what the price is! 

I have gone to super cuts to get a trim, but I do a straight cut, no layers, and that's usually just once a year when I decide last minute I want a cut & my stylist is booked for a month. 

emmaclaire

Talk to your doctor about Biotin - it's a natural supplement that helps grow your hair and nails faster and stronger.  And NEVER go to a hair stylist you found on Craigslist for extensions!!!!!

juicie4jen

(0) Hearts

ya im taking biotin  by Nature Made daily! and women's one a day multivitamins

reflectsgold

I suggest you get clip ins instead of micro links because micro links are damaging. 

Missie772

I had the same thing happen to me over Thanksgiving. My hair was to my waist and I needed a trim 2-3 inches and a few more long layers put in. Long story short, she ended up cutting off almost 8 inches!!! At least yours is still to mid bra strap- my doesn't even cover the girls anymore!!! (She cut it like 4 inches originally and then realized that it wasn't even, so she cut one side to make it even, but ended up cutting it too short, so she had to go back to the other side to recut it to make it even again, and so on and so on). Thing is, my hair is STILL uneven and I am going to get it fixed today after work.

I was so upset because I was planning on donating it to Locks of Love after my sisters wedding (This would have been my 4th time donating) and now I have to wait another 2 years or so because it needs to be long enough!!! I rather she cut off 10 inches all at once to donate! It just sucks that all that hair is on the floor and a kid in need won't be getting my hair! I don't color my hair, I don't blow dry it, and I barely even straighten or curl it unless it is a special occasion so it is super healthy.

I don't mind short hair and my hair grows back fast but for a little bit I was contemplating hair extensions. But the problem is trying to find good quality hair extensions that long.

Your hair is still long and it is healthy. My personal opinion is to say no to the hair extensions!

lissay

[ Edited ]

I would strongly suggest clip in hair extensions over the ones you weave in with your own hair. As some of the other BT ladies stated it can become a real pain to have extensions. Once my own hair started growing and going through the natural shedding process I hated mine. So many tangles, trips to the salon to un do tangles because I didn't want to cut/lose my own hair and not being able to wash my scalp or wash my hair frequently was wierd. So now I only use clip ons if I want to add volume or length.

sephoralover28

Micro links will STILL DAMAGE YOUR HAIR. I had them put in my hair to add thickness and a few more inches of length. I had a consultation and checked out this "professional's" pictures of other clients who had the links put in. She was highly recommended by numerous people. It was super expensive, a lot of daily upkeep, repeat salon visits color touch ups, and adjusting the links as my hair grew. Links or pieces of hair would fall out frequently and at weird times if you snagged one that had loosened. Once on a date and sometimes a rogue one would just hang for awhile. You couldn't wash your hair everyday and couldn't scrub your scalp. That just grossed me out. I couldn't put styling products on my scalp, which they wouldn't have worked anyways, because the hair was soooo heavy from the amount of links on my head. Mine never blended into my natural hair either. They were the same color, but looked weird at the ends and the metal clasps showed on the sides. It looked very stringy and piecey. This limited how I could style my hair. My hair looked very similar to J Wow's in the early Jersey Shore episodes. When they were finally removed my previous mid back length hair was above my shoulders and even finer than before. It was horrible! I cried and called into work that day. I couldn't even get it into a ponytail! Waste of a lot of money, time and tears. I would recommend getting 1 or 2 packs of clip in human hair extensions to add length depending on the thickness of your hair if it really bothers you. Much cheaper, less damaging, and you can take them in and out when you like. I have only seen the micro link method of extension done well once or twice in term of making it blend well into the persons natural hair so it is not obvious. 

rdesigns

I had a similar experience two years ago when I wanted longer hair for a special event.  I had problems with the links falling out when washing, as well as breakage of my own hair from them.  The other problem with hair extensions can be the actual quality of hair itself.  If the hair is not premium quality, it can tangle beyond belief, which ends up damaging your own hair when you try to get the knots out.  

Greyes

HeYyY juicie4jen,

I didn't really read what the other fellow Beauties said...so0o I'm just go0oing to tell you in my own experienced opinion...

My hair is thin, curly, damaged and of medium length. I saved up money for well over 7 months to get micro loop hair extensions. This September I bought the extensions on line from Hairextensionsale.com I got them for a reasonable price of $45. Okie now I had to find a salon, I asked the girl if I can do extensions with my very fine hair. She said I was absolutely a candidate and they charge by the hour. I also had to dye my hair to match the extensions. (I could have dyed the extensions but I liked its color better than the one I had) Now I was told that they are High Maintenance...LET me tell you... I agree that if you want longer hair you get extensions I agree with your want to get your hair back to it's normality...doesn't matter if you have long hair in other people's eyes....you think it's short...it's short. End of story. Sorry...okie now with that being said I would say to get clip ins...there is no damage and you can take  them out and put them back in as you please. The reason why I stress the "take them out" point is because once you get your micro loop hair extensions it is a BATTLE to try to wash them, brush them, sleep with them. What I mean is I tried to wash my hair and 7 slipped out. Now granted I waited three days since, it was completely new to me and also I just got my hair dyed I wanted to preserve the color. Then I was upset they fell out I just spent close to $500 and they are falling out?! Already?! Then I had to pay to get them reinstalled and tightened...$100. YUP! Now the thing that people do not tell you is that they are uncomfortable the first few nights when you try to lay down to sleep. It takes a little time to get used to it, plus you are recommended to sleep in a loose bun or ponytail or towel turban to prevent snagging or matting your hair during sleep (tossing and turning). Next what I meant that they are hard to wash with, I truly mean it. You feel helpless in the shower you try to unmatt the inevitable tangles and you by accident lose another piece sometimes a few. 8( I tried washing my hair in while in a ponytail that way I could hold on to the hair and prevent any from slipping out. I ended up with a crazy frizzy mess and had to wash my hair the normal way which made a few more fall out. Yes I said I have thin hair but what I'm trying to say it's very strange not being able to wash your hair as freely as you would when you have nothing attached to your hair. Also like I said reinstalling and tightening cost $100 each time 8( I only did it twice and then I said to my fiance (my bf at the time) I said "I know you think I lo0ok pretty and sexy with my longer hair, but I can't keep having them reinstalled and I can't live with the fact I can't wash my hair as freely as I used to...also they are ITCHY!!! I don't know what it is but something about makes your scalp feel very dry and just unhealthy...if that makes sense" I had my dad take them out the next day with pliers and have now been using the WEN system to grow my hair and get it back to it's healthy feel and I must say it is liberating when you can just wash your hair however and whenever you please. I haven't bought the clip in extensions yet, I'm saving up again  and seeing how the WEN is for my hair, but the sheer fact that you can remove them whenever you can is why I would suggest getting clip ins. I'm sorry for the LONG post, but I just feel it's something people should know before you do0o it. I researched for 7 months and all that ever popped up was they are high maintenance but never a break down of what that actually entailed >(8( so0o the only downside to clip ins I am told is you can't sleep with them in...but I think that's a plus because go0oing through the uncomfortable nights I had to with the micro loops pinching my head and being difficult to sleep in...I would think the fact that you can't sleep with clip ins is enough to say "YES" to them. I hope I have helped just a teensy  bit. If you want you can Private Message me?

>(8D)

kso1225

This was really informative. I bought clip in extensions a long time ago simply because they were cheaper than the other types, but I had always been curious about the other types. This definitely made me feel like I made the right decision.  Thanks for sharing your experience!

Greyes

HeYyY kso1225,

Honestly I was so0o mad about it that I felt that I had to tell people, it just is some of those little things that celebs do and you think you can but I mean it was a crazy investment but like Sephoralover28 said not being able to wash your hair when ever you wanted is just horrible. I wanted them in for length and just always dreamed of hair I could do any style to. I love trying new braids and updos and I just couldn't do0o them...they would either show the links which is so0o annoying or they would slide out and make my crown of my head appear uneven 8( I left them in for not even a month, once three weeks rolled around I had spent close to $200 + on reinstalling them and getting a deep conditioning treatment because my scalp was so0o ITCHY...honestly I am still in the process of do0oing the clip ins the only reason why I was kinda against it was because you take them out every night where can you put them if you are traveling? My fiance lives about 2 hours away and I spend the weekends with him so0o I'm traveling close to every 4 days...where can you put them? That is one question I can't figure out.

juicie4jen

(0) Hearts

oh and perhaps i should listen to the professionals etc? because i went to the Hair Shop in L.A. (huge hair extension and wig supply store) and the girls were realllly helpful, kind, knowledgeable etc! and to my surprise, they suggested i not do/get extensions... i was so thankful for their honesty; i mean come on they are a business and would want to sell/have ppl purchase products! but they told me i don't need extensions. i then went to the extension stylist and later she even told me i don't need extensions etc...

itscarin

Your hair is already long.  I wouldn't bother getting extensions because you're missing a few inches.  It will grow back.  I think my hair is about the same length that yours is right now, and it doesn't really bother me when I get more than expected cut off.  I just figure I already have long hair so what does it matter if it's really long, or really really long?  :smileytongue:

killahbabe

[ Edited ]

You may have a hard time finding a salon that carries hair longer than 22 inches as the most common length is typically 18 inches. Additionally, micro links will still damage your hair (no matter what your stylist tells you). I had micro links and fusion extensions in the past and both kinds have damaged my hair. In fact, I had a lovely little bald spot after 1 month of my micro links so I took them out. Even if your hair is strong it's still extra weight added to your hair and scalp and over time it weakens your individual strands. I would hate to see someone with healthy, long hair end up damaging their hair for just a couple inches of length. I don't want to scare you and I'm not saying it'll ruin your hair or make you go bald... I had a few successful extension applications without any issues other than some breakage, but I want you to just be aware that damage will occur and can vary in severity. But I know when I wanted extensions, nothing anyone said could talk me out of it. Good luck with whatever you decide :smileyhappy:

juicie4jen

(0) Hearts

ya i found someone who does micro link/beads with 22" hair for only like $375! you don't think my hair is short?? of course there's a diff between waist length hair and my hair right now!! dammit idk why i keep getting "trims" cuz i always always regret it after; i just thought by trimming dead ends my hair would be/look healthier etc...ugh i feel so bleh w this length hair right now!!! oh mayb i should get clip ins ya?~~

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 25 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • lissay
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • reflectsgold
    • emmaclaire