Answer
mar1962
how do I slow down the graying of my hair
(0) Hearts

I'm 49yrs old with about 15-25% gray. I would like to slow down the gray process. Is it genetic? are there products that can help minimize or slow down the gray process?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 3
prettyinpa
Answered

It is genetic, caused by the breakdown of a peroxidase in your cells that allows peroxide to build up and bleach out the hair. So until researchers figure out a way to get external peroxidase into hair follicles, there isn't a way to slow down the greying of hair. I read that they hope to accomplish this within the next 5 years, but whatever system they come up with will most likely need FDA approval, and that can take a LOOOONG time!

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

I read an article in the July 2011 issue of Allure magazine which discussed hair loss.  It said that some cases of hair loss (and hair graying) could be reversible.  Test results showed that mice that overproduce a particular stress hormone experience excess abdominal fat, digestive problems and balding.  When scientists gave these mice the drug astressin-B, which blocks stress-hormone receptors, to treat their gastrointestinal symptoms, the mice unexpectedly grew back a full coat of thick, shiny hair within two weeks.  In addition, their bald, pink skin first changed in pigment to gray, so “we hypothesize that this compound may also affect gray hair,” says the assistant researcher in the department of medicine at UCLA.  It’s unclear if the drug will work in people, but mice and humans have similar stress pathways in their skin and hair.

By the way, I've read in several fashion magazine articles about how gray hair is popular right now.  A lot of young people are dying their hair a platinum blonde and then using a gray toner to give it the gray shade. 

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
tenngal :smileyhappy:

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

I forgot to mention in my previous post that there is a new product out called Rita Hazen’s Root Concealer which is a great product to quickly cover gray hair and root growth between hair salon visits.  It’s designed to temporarily cover gray and any root growth with just one quick spray.  The pinpoint actuator puts the product exactly where needed and nowhere else.  It's fast drying and stays put until you shampoo it out.  It comes in several shades and you can find it at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=ZYSRJIHE35RCYCV0KRTRPIQ?id=P282611&categoryId=B70

Hope this helps, too!
tenngal :smileyhappy:

Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 1 heart
  • 3 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • prettyinpa
    • mar1962