WhereYouStand

has anyone curled their hair with a flat iron? is it hard?

(0) Hearts

has anyone curled their hair with a flat iron? is it hard? is there a good youtube video or directions with pics on how to do it somewhere just curious. 

lylysa

Re: has anyone curled their hair with a flat iron? is it hard?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

As a side note, having a flat iron with "floating plates" helps to prevent making a hard edge or crease while trying to curl like what other posts below mentioned, see the below thread for a visual of what I mean:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/Never-used-a-flat-iron-but/m-p/551249/highlight/true#M1771

I'm not overly impressed with curls made by a flat iron. I suppose that if one doesn't have a curling wand or iron and only had a flat iron it would be useful to learn so you get more bang for your buck, but I'm not a "flat iron only" preacher. Personally, my hair is super long (past my hips) and with a flat iron, it would not be time efficient as with using a FI, you have to essentially rotate the iron as you move downward to curl the entire length and that would take forever compared to just wrapping a longer length of hair around a curling barrel.

Clakent

I have a karmin g3 styling iron and I curl my hair with it. I basically learnt with youtube and practice. You have to make sure your flat iron has round edge 1 inch plates.

DTalksAll

My hair is really thick, long & straight. I only use a flat iron to curl if I'm in a pinch & forgot to bring a curling iron with me & borrow a flat iron from a friend. I don't like the curl it gives & it takes me much longer to do. I prefer a clipless curling iron. 

LuckyWinter

Personally I completely hate curling with a straightener, I have a large straightener so it really pull my hair real bad, Its easier with a flat iron with smaller plates. Like everybody said its really easy, but some flat iron are easier to work with when it come to curling, there are videos all over youtube about it also :smileyhappy: Good luck!

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

It is way easier to curl with a curling iron.  I have a CHI that has smaller rounded plates that does curl in a pinch, but it is much more difficult for me to use instead of my curling iron.  I also prefer the look of the curls from my curling iron vs the flat iron. 

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

I have. Personally, I don't like the curly it gives. A curling iron is easier and I already have one. There are a million youtube videos

kalex

(0) Hearts

Just look up "curl hair with flat iron" or something along those lines and you'll find a bunch of videos on youtube.  I watched one, said, "oh, that's it?" and went to go try it.  My flat iron was leaving weird bends in my hair when I tried it though and that's when I realized I don't have one with rounded edges.  

missey1973

(0) Hearts

My hair is very straight and done not hold curl well. If I hot roll or use a curling iron, even with lots of hairspray the curls fall out in about an hour.  I have started using a flat iron and love it! The curl actually stays most of the day. It does take some time to get use to doing it. I got my flat iron from TJ MAX. Gingerblack gave the perfect instructions.

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

It's really easy. Obviously you will need a flat iron that is kind of shaped like a barrel instead of flat plates though to have it work well. I think it is pretty easy to just figure out. I put my iron at the top of my hair section (with my hair in-between), closing it, and twist it down while like pulling it to the bottom of my hair. If there is tension I just open and close it.

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

FYI I moly use the regular flat plate irons! It still works. You don't get super curls, but the Kim Kardashian wavy curls.

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

I ONLY use a flat iron to curl my hair. It's not that hard. Instead of pulling straight down, you twist as the hair slides through.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • lilyyy
    • lylysa
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • gingerblack