Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

curls won't hold

my curls will not hold for the life of me. I have the T3 whirl trio. I prep my hair with Bumble and bumble invisible oil primer and B+B  flexible hold hairspray, and I also add a bit more spray when I'm done and my curls still fall out by the end of the day. It's so frustrating! Any tips on what other products to use that won't make my hair crunchy from hairspray?

Re: curls won't hold

Usually sprays with alcohol hold better for difficult hair.  Alcohol has been demonized in hair products, but the denatured kind isn't so bad, and it's water soluble.  (I could go on and on.)  I've heard that L'Oreal Elnett is the best, and that the pros use it on star clients.  

Redken used to make some good sprays but they got discontinued, as did GHD.  Maybe see if they have some other good ones?

I don't know if this will help you, this is my personal situation and what I have found works for me.

I have extremely THICK kinky curly hair.  Think the tightest spirals / thickest mane of hair you've ever seen.

When I want to have pretty voluminous bouncy waves / curls, I flat iron my whole head with my babybliss flat iron using a CHI heat protectant spray.

Once my hair is straight, I think take my same flat iron and curl my ends / halfway up with that flat iron.  I section my hair in layers when I do both flat-iron and curling.

I spray Big Sexy Spray and Play Harder hairspray on my curls.  I like to flip my head / hair over and spray too because it creates more volume for me.  I know you said you didn't care for crunchy hair from hairspray, but I find this hairspray has a lot of hold and doesn't make my hair stiff or unmovable at all.

I will occasionally put Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier on my hair (only on my ends) after flat-ironing and before curling if I want my curls to be really big / more curly.

I've had great luck with Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press. Spray it on before heat styling, and let the hair cool before fussing with it. I've found this way I can brush out curls enough to get loose waves (and to get rid of any crunchy-ness) or scrunch it back up into curls. 

@lylysa my hair is pretty thick (an inch about if I gather in a pony), there's a bit of wave in the back but the front is straight. 

Thanks for the tips!! One concern I have as well with layering products is would it weigh the hair down or how does that work?

Ok more questions.  🙂  When you curl your hair, what kind of hair are you starting with?  Is it freshly washed?  Day old?  Flat ironed before?  Or blown out straight-ish?

usually day old. i normally let my hair air dry after applying B+B invisible oil primer, and it dries straight, with maybe a very slight wave. 

You'll have to experiment with how much product is used and even the combination of products used together to find your proper balance. Of course it's always easier to use product little by little as you can always add more, but if you start right out the gate by applying a large amount of product, there's no way to remove or take back what is now on the hair.

The Style Primers from LP are both available in trial sizes, so you may look into those as a way to test the waters to see which you may prefer. 

Both of the trial sized items above are $12 a piece, or if you're wanting to try a new hairspray, the below set has LP Flex hairspray (flexible hold with a brushable/workable formula) and 1 oz. tube of the Style Primer cream for $10:

When layering either formula over your B&B Primer Oil as your heat protectant element, be sure hair isn't oversaturated and even let the oil absorb some before applying either Style Primer product so hair doesn't become too damp from them layered too close to one another timeframe-wise.

Hi, SusantheCeliac!

Can you share with us what hair type you have? Is it naturally all straight, or is there even some hints or portions of a soft wave? Would you say hair is thin, fine, coarse, thick, or of normal thickness and texture? 

While the B&B Oil Primer is great at providing UV and heat protection while also softening hair to make it more manageable for styling, you may try incorporating Living Proof's Prime Style Extender (available in a spray for those with thin, fine, or even normal hair types and a cream for those with medium to thick hair that may also be textured). I know both the B&B and LP items contain the word "primer" within them, but they aim to prime hair in different ways. The B&B formula primes hair by tackling protection and manageability while the LP formula primes hair by helping to lock in styles. It's almost as if the B&B is your SPF facial moisturizer while the LP is your foundation primer, both work hand in hand and provide benefits. 

The LP formulas utilize the brand's patented molecule, OFPMA, which repels dirt and oil throughout the day so strands don't become weighed down and built up, thus preventing styled locks from falling limp. Both formulas are also void of heavy, synthetic oils as well as silicones to further prevent bogging down hair. Choose between the spray and cream based upon your hair type. I've personally used the cream plenty of times as my hair is thick, has a soft wave, and is quite heavy due to its length (my hair is past my hips). While my hair has no issues holding onto curls, the length eventually wants to factor in and gravity wants to drag curls down and out, so I use the primer to help hold everything in place. 

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing