sammiebaby
Accepted Solution

Yikes! I've got some terrible hair! Need help & tips

(0) Hearts

My hair is thick, wavy sometimes curly, lots of body, oil on my head, dry towards the bottom, lots of dandruff, frizz, and millions of flyaways.  I recently cut it very short so I now have to straighten it to keep it in line.  If I let it air dry, I get an afro on my head.  When it is straight it looks nice but it's still really frizzy.  I feel like I've tried everything under the sun but nothing seems to be working for me.  I've been using John Frieda's Secret Weapon to control my flyaways after I've already styled.  I've also used Biosilk which was fine if I left my hair curly but weighs down my hair if it's straight making it look greasy.  Is there anything else I can do to control the extreme frizz and flyaways?

ppickle

Re: Yikes! I've got some terrible hair! Need help & tips

(0) Hearts
I recently discovered Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. It says it is curl defining, but I use it on my long, thick, straight hair. It makes my hair smooth, shiny, and immune to humidity. It looks as glossy as hair in a magazine ad. I would keep it away from your greasy roots and more toward the dry ends. Start with a tiny bit and add a little bit more as needed until you achieve the right effect. I only use it when my hair is especially dry or frizzy. Otherwise it's overkill. The condition of your hair will improve a lot once you get the dandruff/dry scalp under control. Good luck!
SMWNY

(0) Hearts
I have similar problems. I don't have dandruff and my hair is baby fine but I have problems with frizz and flyaways too. However in my case most anti-frizz products make my hair flat and lifeless.
melissajennel18

(0) Hearts

dont damge your hair. the natural oils in your hair are necessary. wash your hair every other day if it gets greasy really quick. but to reduce grease just use baking soda or i think powder it will soak up all the grease, the less you wash your hair the more healthy it will be. and it grows it out. a hair mask you can try is ORGANIC coconut oil and eggs wisk it together and leave in your hair for 15 min. then wash out just like shampoo and conditioner. dont put any other products in it other than that. it helps your hair folicles. hope this helped

tillyvonschmill

(0) Hearts

I'm with some of the others in agreeing that you probably don't have actual dandruff, probably just dry skin as a result of heat styling and a shampoo that's drying your scalp out.

My hair is medium thickness, oily, damaged  (by an incompetent hair stylist bleaching instead of highlighting my hair) and curls like corkscrews the width of your pinkie finger.  Not pretty.

I just discovered the Living Proof Straight making cream and it made straightening my hair a breeze.  I didn't even have to use the flat iron, just a round brush and it came out perfectly, no cotton candy textured split ends either.  My hair wasn't oily, flat, crunchy, heavy.  The stuff is amazing.  My hair was straight all day yesterday even though it was raining out.  It was still straight and full of volume today!  I used the Straight spray and it's better than a dry shampoo because it still leaves your hair shiny.

I think this is seriously the best new product I've found in years!

Get a sample of the cream (not the spray as it's full of alcohol you don't need on damp hair, not to mention how damaging it is and just use the spray for greasy spots or any stray curls and they'll brush right out, no tools required.

I don't even work for Sephora!  I'm just so psyched about this product I want to tell everyone.

Hope you give it a try.

akwardwhitegirl

(0) Hearts

Sounds like my hair:/

I tend to keep it long, which generally weighs down the curls, making it straiten. I also use argan oil to help my dry hair, then I braid it before I go to sleep. the argan oil also helps with frizz and flyaways. I dye my hair, and generally flat iron my hair a lot, and it kills my hair, and using the argan oil and not using product, or heat definitely helps with that.

I hope I've helped!

lipglossjunkee

(0) Hearts

Make sure you're not damaging it more by over brushing, not using heat protection, over shampooing, or using a harsh shampoo!  Try moisturizing it with a hair masque (Ojon has a nice one) or coating your hair and scalp with argan or olive oil overnight (sleep in a shower cap or use an old pillowcase).  You're never going to get good results with a product if your hair isn't healthy to begin with.  You could also try adding salmon, flaxseed, walnuts, and other foods with omega-3's (or a supplement) to make sure new growth is healthy.

Is your natural texture curly/wavy at all, or could it be coaxed into waves or curls?  That might be easier than trying to fight with it daily. 

Manda

First I would like to say: Are you sure you have dandruff?  A lot of people confuse dandruff to dry skin.  The difference: dandruff is yellow, dry skin is white.

As for products, you could try something that is silicone and sulfate free.  It seems to me that there is a possiblity that you are over drying your hair, making the top section very oily and yet the bottom dry.  Because of this, you hair could be producing more oil.  By using sulfate and silicone free products, it will help to even out the oil in the hair.

cindystass

(0) Hearts

I have the same problems, except for the dandruff or dry skin. I tried sulfate-free shampoo from L'oreal but it makes my skin break out...even my scalp!!! Whenever I try a product to make my hair glossy and straight, my skin and scalp pay for it. I keep my hair long so it's heavier, easier to do and more straight but I do not use the iron or blow dryer frecuently and do not dye it either. I would love to read suggestions of products that clean the oily roots and help tame frizzy strands and flyways.

beautylover1229

(0) Hearts

My hair is also frizzy and very hard to keep in line. Try using an anti-humidity hairspray. It has done wonders for me(:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 10 in conversation
    • lipglossjunkee
    • Manda
    • beautylover1229
    • sammiebaby
    • akwardwhitegirl
    • tillyvonschmill