H216

Wow Devacurl!

Wow! I just opened a sample of Devacurl styling gel and I gotta say I'm amazed. My normally frizzy curls are now defined, shiny and not crunchy! I have thick shoulder length hair and used a nickel sized amount following the application instructions. 

calcutta

Re: Wow Devacurl!

@Lylysa

I think my hair looks better today, i didn't put up in a turban like i usually do and just used the cloth to scrunch it.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions, seems i'll have to be spending more time trying to figure out my hair in the mornings and experimenting with different techniques/products.

lylysa

There's definitely a lot of factors to take into account, but once you make progress you're that much closer to gorgeous curls at an ease! :smileyvery-happy:

calcutta

(0) Hearts

@jozkid

Thanks for the suggestion, I might do jus that! With curly hair, its difficult to figure out what will work for your unique hair. No two curlies are the same, its such a love/hate relationship.

calcutta

So, leave-in on damp hair or wet hair? The bottle for my leave-in says damp and that has worked pretty good for me.

I have shoulder length hair and the leave-in I used is a sort of liquid consistency, and i do as you've advised, use small amounts, flip hair upside down and apply to ends. My problem is, when do I apply the devacurl gel? Today I skipped the leave-in and just used the gel on my hair and I find it somewhat fizzy and I feel like I didn't get enough conditioning. Do I continue crunching with the microfiber towel after the product has been applied? Does that remove the product?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

For the leave in or any styling product that you intend to use after washing, use it on slightly damp, towel-dried hair. Locks should not be dripping or super heavy with water still. By towel drying and scrunching to pull out excess water with your microfiber towel you're allowing hair to better absorb products applied to it. When you first step out of the shower and hair is sopping wet, notice that with textured hair it tends to "lay flatter" or "straighter" and once hair is dry it "scrunches up" back to shape, that's because strands were full of moisture so that tends to drag wave/curl with it, once water evaporates, hair springs back to the shape is is naturally.

No need to continue to scrunch and dry hair with a towel after applying product, in fact, if you do, that may be what is causing the frizz as you're essentially applying a styling product to preserve, hold, and enhance shape, bu then disrupting that with the use of the towel. Though microfiber is gentle, using such a tool on hair that's already introduced to product can be counter productive. 

When your hair is damp/towel dried, it should feel heavy or be dripping droplets nonstop on the floor, you should be able to be towel free and not feel like water is going to soak through clothing and make you feel like a wet heap. 

If you find that your hair is lacking some moisture without using the leave-in, try using it on areas you feel need it most. There's no pressure to need to use a leave-in all over. My ends are drier than other portions of my hair, so I always take care to ensure I focus on that area if I'm conditioning or taking extra conditioning steps. 

calcutta

I came in here meaning to create a new thread asking this very question, but I'm glad you asked Lylysa. Hopefully someone can clear up my confusion!

My hair is 2a/b type curl that is prone to fizziness and is easily weighed down. Recently I've been washing it with the Devacurl no-poo and conditioner and using just the Kiehl's leave-in conditioner. I just let it air dry and then massage the roots and scrunch the hair up to give it volume once dry. My problem is, that I'm not getting as much curl definition as i would like.

jozkid

Have you gone to DevaCurl's site? They have a bunch of videos online and it might give you a better idea on how to use the various products or handle your hair after washing. I found them pretty useful when I was digging around the site.

From my own experience with some of their products, I find that the Light Defining Gel will give me a tighter curl with more definition. The Styling Cream will give me a looser, softer curl. I'm still experimenting with the line myself (and with the whole concept of having curly hair...it's gotten curly as I've gotten older...go figure) so I'm no expert, but I like how these products work better than I did Ouidad.

calcutta

@Lylysa

That's the thing, I use it right out of the shower after I've left my hair in my microfiber Turbie. And my hair always comes out frizzy.

I'm actually not sure what order you are supposed to use these products in. I usually use a leave-in conditioner, but I have no idea if I should be applying that before the gel/hair spray or after and if I'm supposed to give it time in between. Also do you use the gel in the shower on wet hair and put it in the turbie or just leave them open?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Though microfiber towels are great, I've found that with curly, wavy, or textured hair, leaving it up in a twisted fashion can disrupt the natural shape of locks. Of course whipping hair up into a twisted towel or turban is easy once you step our of the shower, but try to not keep it twisted for so long and rather gently blot and lightly scrunch hair between the towel to draw out excess water.

From there, determine application based off your hair type. If you're using a spray leave-in or a spray gel, rather than pump and mist hair direct, mist product into palms and lightly scrunch, grab/hold, and distribute. Your hand will cover a larger area than the direction of the spray alone and that will prevent too much product from gathering in one area. For creams, gels, or mousse, consider length and texture. If your hair is long, don't apply a heavy amount of product into hands to work all over, work with a smaller amount at a time to where distribution will be more even. If your hair is shorter, you can work with the product amount needed, but keep hands moving to avoid depositing too much in one shot, also, don't overload hair either (it's always easier to start with a little and add more as opposed to using a lot right off the bat). It's also important to keep in mind the level of texture, using your hands/fingers is great, but at the same time you don't want to overwork and have scrunching or fingers break up the shape of waves/curl. This can take practice and getting used to in terms of learning the right amount of product to apply, the application technique, and the time frame to work with, but stick with it to learn what will work best for you.

After a shampoo/conditioner is rinsed out, next comes a leave-in conditioner. I always avoid gooping conditioner of any sort (rinse our or leave-in) along my roots/top of hair at the start, loading product here can weigh down this area and even add to an oily or greasy feel when hair is dry, so start at the middle of hair or at the ends, whatever is left on hands at the end you can lightly tousle at the tops (I like to flip my head over and stick my fingers into my hair along the roots so I'm touching hair and not just flattening my hands and getting product on my scalp). 

After your leave-in, that's when styling products come into play. Again, play with technique and application, product amount, and time frames to find what works for you and your hair. :smileyhappy:

calcutta

(0) Hearts

Neither the gel nor the spray worked on my easily weighed down hair. But the no-poo shampoo and conditioner has done wonders for the texture and curls.

Am I doing something wrong with the styling products? Maybe i'll try them again, since my hair has finished going through its detox from drug store products.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

How and when are you utilizing the styling products?

H216

(0) Hearts

OK, so I just got a 20% coupon for the U store, so of course needed to make use of it. I just ordered the Arc AnGEL. I'm wondering how different it is from the ultra defining gel?

I ordered the full liter size because it comes with the free towel (yes, freebies help enable!). I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Arc AnGEL and thoughts compared to the cream or defining gel.

My favorite is the Ultra defining gel since a little goes a looooong way and only takes the one product for best results. Then comes the cream as it does a good job in providing my curls more definition and eliminating frizz, but I feel it keeps my volume up which is actually something I don't care for.

lovinglondon

Has anyone tried the DevaGloves? They look kinda ridiculous but I'm tempted by the good reviews. 

upload_963006585464354976.jpg

ilovebears

I haven't tried these, but aren't they just microfiber gloves?  If you want to splurge, I'm sure they'll be wonderful... but if you want to save money, I would get a nice microfiber towel instead :smileyhappy:  (I love Mimi's Diva Dryer Hair Towel -- it's larger than the DevaTowel so I can wrap my hair up in it if I want! :smileyhappy:)

lovinglondon

(0) Hearts

I've been using a microfiber towel but I find that I still mess up my curl pattern as I try to dry my hair while adding product. I think it'd be easier to keep the integrity of my curls with something like this, however I'm not sure if it would be any better. Reviews seem to be generally positive.  

H216

In the video on their website they show a girl scrunching her curls. What a great idea to wear gloves to help dry while curling! I'm gonna try to control my purchase to just the towel in the 3step kit but as I'm getting so obsessed with this product, who knows? 

I look forward ward to hearing if anyone else tried these though. Good question,

sparklekai

i am a devacurl addict!  i will not use anything else in my hair!  i use the no poo, one conditioner and the gel.  i'm using the styling cream right now because i have samples but i'm not sure that i would buy it because i don't feel like it's a necessity or that i really need it.  i do have the mister right for refreshing and i'm not a huge fan.  i find the smell of that very overpowering!

H216

Omg! I am so obsessed now. I am ordering the 3step kit to see the no poo and conditioner. It also comes with the gel and a towel. I think that gel will last me forever based on my sample usage.

jozkid

So glad you guys were talking about this. I've been interested in DevaCurl, and was checking out their website and videos. I really liked what I saw and it looked like a pretty simple process. I think I might have to buy a trial size set now. Enabling complete!

H216

Yeah do it! I hope u like it :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • mberteig
    • marydiva