Spyski

Who has or had ombre colored hair?

[ Edited ]

Let's just put it this way...I wanted a natural looking ombre on my dark blonde hair. I went to my colorist the other day to get the bottom portion of my hair lightened a little more than the rest of my hair and it came out gold, but not quite brassy which I later used a purple shampoo to tone it down since he didn't put a toner on me after he applied the color. No big deal right?

get-attachment.jpg

Well anyway, I was going for the Lauren Conrad ombre look and soon realized it just wasn't meant for me after he colored it. No offense to my colorist, he did a great job for someone that has many layers and side bangs, but I personally don't like the look on me. So I plan on going in on Saturday to hopefully (crossing my fingers) to get something along the lines of this look:hr.jpg

I really adore the way the light hits those colors, it's ungodly gorgeous in my opinion and compliments the model's skin tone perfectly. I know it won't look like this on me, but we do share close to the same skin tone. I truly hope the ombre comes out :/ I'm a perfectionist when it comes to detail and colors, so the littlest thing wrong (which may not be wrong in someone else's eyes) will bug me like nobody's business! 

Anybody else out there had a bad experience with ombre or it just wasn't meant for you? What was the process you used in order to get rid of the ombre effect or did you go to a salon and get it professionally corrected?

roxystar4

Re: Who has or had ombre colored hair?

YESSSSS! Im excited to see it. I bet it looks awesome

DTalksAll

I'm glad it worked out in the end! 

sarahbec

My stylist did an amazing ombre - she did it by teasing my hair before applying the bleach which allowed for the natural feathering effect!

DTalksAll

I've had ombre for almost 2 years now & love it. If you're not happy with it, go back & get it fixed. To not harm my long dirty blonde hair too much, my colorist didn't do a single process, but used the hair painting balayage technique. I had to go back & get it fixed the first time because I didn't like the transition area, so they cleaned it up with a few more highlights & bit more color on the ends. I now get it colored just twice a year. It's so easy & effortless. 

Just call them & tell them you're not happy & you want it fixed. Make sure to bring in photos of what you want & talk to your colorists. 

Spyski

Glad to see someone who loves their ombre! Thanks for the advice :smileyhappy:

lylysa

I've colored several of my friends hair to the ombre effect and they loved it, but it was also what they wanted to go for.

Depending on your hair's color and condition, it's always safest to go to a salon and leave it in the hands of a professional, they will also be the best at handling hair that may be previously color treated or highlighted to match the bottom, ombre areas back to the rest of the hair.

If you're looking for a quicker, temporary fix or transition at home and find your ombre to be too stark in contrast to the rest of your hair, try purchasing a semi permanent color in a few shades up from the ombre portion but still slighter than your natural color or the color that is the upper portions. Do a strand test and leave the color on hair for about half of the time suggested. This will ensure not as high of a level of saturation occurs and if you do wish the color to be upped some, you can do another strand test and find a good time to leave the semi permanent color in for. As the color washes out it can give you some time to see if you might want to stick with the look or just alter it entirely.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

what about having a colorist do a bunch of low lights (similar to the color of your roots)? That way you can have that beachy look and have the blonde peek through on the bottom but it wont be completely blonde. ?

I LOVE that models hair - looks super natural but beachy- have you thought of having your colorist try Balayage?

Spyski

Low lights are a great idea, I will collaborate some of these suggestions and see what he thinks on Saturday! 

Yes, I love balayage. That's how he usually does my hair, but then I was feeling rebellious...and well you catch my drift. Haha

carrierose

I got my hair colored ombre once a few months ago and she charged me $250 and was like "it will look even better when you come to get it touched up in 6 weeks."  I was like, yeah right, see you never.  I went for ombre because I wanted blonde but I DIDN'T want to be at the salon every 2 months.  PLUS the girl put highlights at my roots, which I DID NOT want, without asking me, so those grew out and I am still left with the same problem.

I should have used purple shampoo from the beginning, because I do look brassy.  I am going to get it done again, somewhere else, before my sister's wedding in August.  But until then, I do like it better than my super lame dark-blondeish dishwater-that-doesn't-have-the-right-tones-to-be-brown-but isn't-blonde-either hair.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Two hudgy and fiddy dollas (jaw drops)

No wonder I didn't get a toner on top of my ombre! I didn't even spend half that. I think communication is key with stylists. I told mine that I need alot more time to discuss with him what I really want and not what he just in visions in his head. You should totally try this shampoo called Fudge Clean Blonde Violet Toning shampoo. It's comparable to Shimmer Lights but isn't as harsh on the hair. It really minimizes the look of the brass and helps pull in lighter ashy tones. Purple shampoo is blonde hair's saving grace!

carrierose

(0) Hearts

I'll have to try that shampoo, thanks!

carrierose

(0) Hearts

I know...she charged me, like, $20 for each extra inch I swear, past "long hair" which they consider shoulder length.  Plus lowlights at the top, and a whole bunch of other crap.  Will never go back there.

mafan

LOL!  I love that description "

dark-blondeish dishwater-that-doesn't-have-the-right-tones-to-be-brown-but isn't-blonde-either hair".  That pretty well sums me up.  Just add in some grey for highlights!  I keep telling myself that I'm blonde and I'm glad to have more time out in the sun because I do get some highlights.  The perm does highlight it, too.  (I can't imagine doing color and perm and I'd rather have "

dark-blondeish dishwater-that-doesn't-have-the-right-tones-to-be-brown-but isn't-blonde-either hair" than "straight-thing-hangs-at-the-face-doing-nothing hair".)

Good luck with the coloring.  Researching what color someone else used is good, but remember that everyone's hair texture takes color differently so do trust your stylist to try to get you to the color you want (if you have someone good, that is).

melissabt

Hi Spyski,

I have a ombre color right now! My hair is naturally dark and it bleaches out pretty well so I like to switch back and forth in between colors.

I think your hair looks great! I think what might be bothering you is the tone. It erks me when hair stylist do not put toner on, its just ridiculous!  You have to because, basically it neutralizes any yellow, orange red tones and brings it to a more natural looking shade.

If possible, I would call the salon and request that they put a toner over it. Most places will do this for free if you are unhappy with your color. I would even bring the 2nd picture as reference. Since you paid for the full service, they should have already had this included in the first time.

I hope it all works out:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
Spyski

Good point on how I should have already had a toner with my service. He usually puts a toner on it, but I realized he was rushing the process and skipped that step. I immediately went to Sallys and bought some purple shampoo. That really helped, and will continue to use this in conjunction with my normal shampoo. 

annonymous1

The lower pictures you like arnt really ombre there more of highlights and lowlight sets, you would have to dye your hair lightbrown and then get the golden highlights. 

I am completely in the same boat, i have dark black hair but i LOOOVE the way ombre looks, i've just been contemplating doing it because i don't know how it would fit me..

personally your ombre doesn't look awful, it just doesent really look like an ombre, its not blended, with the blonde, there should be a light brown that shows the progression to blonde.

what you should do, is go to a salon or ask your friends who have done ombre's personally on their hair, and go where they go. maybe your stylist has never done them before.  

Spyski

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the bottom pic is not ombre, I'm trying to get rid of the ombre to achieve something along the lines of that. I agree he did not blend the bottom to the mid better, which is why I don't like what he did possibly or it just doesn't suit me altogether. Ah, I hope it works out. 

annonymous1

you could do an ombre on the golden brown color? that probably would look nice too, maybe its just the blonde clashing with the blonde you already have & i'm sure it will work out lol good luck :smileyhappy:

dianabt

Hi Spyski!

You almost scare me because I have a hair appt tomorrow and am going for a VERY light ombre sort of fade/highlight to my hair! That being said, your hair looks pretty! It's a brighter blonde in the photo you shared  but I still think it looks nice :smileyhappy: The caramel sort of tones you are going for are subtle and soft, I think it will look great!

I've personally had a lot of friends TRY to go ombre and it jus doesn't work. =/ I think the trick is to not go TOO light all at once. It takes a few sessions to get lighter shades and really figure what you like and complements your skin best. The closest I had to ombre was black hair fading to lavender tips and that was years ago so it will be interesting to see how my hair turns out as well. Make sure you update us when you have it done and I'll do the same! :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Spyski

Oh, gosh I didn't mean to scare you! I think ombre looks fantastic with someone with dark roots 3-5 inches out, which would look great on you. Lavender ends, oh yeah tell me about it! I went through a stage where I was experimenting with bleaching and the toner I used was too ashy and turned it lavender, thankfully my hair was above my ears at the time and just needed to grow it out.

nebel

Lol, and here I have totally ashy and lavender hair *on purpose*  :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 52 replies
  • 87 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • carrierose