Spyski

Who has or had ombre colored hair?

[ Edited ]

Let's just put it this way...I wanted a natural looking ombre on my dark blonde hair. I went to my colorist the other day to get the bottom portion of my hair lightened a little more than the rest of my hair and it came out gold, but not quite brassy which I later used a purple shampoo to tone it down since he didn't put a toner on me after he applied the color. No big deal right?

get-attachment.jpg

Well anyway, I was going for the Lauren Conrad ombre look and soon realized it just wasn't meant for me after he colored it. No offense to my colorist, he did a great job for someone that has many layers and side bangs, but I personally don't like the look on me. So I plan on going in on Saturday to hopefully (crossing my fingers) to get something along the lines of this look:hr.jpg

I really adore the way the light hits those colors, it's ungodly gorgeous in my opinion and compliments the model's skin tone perfectly. I know it won't look like this on me, but we do share close to the same skin tone. I truly hope the ombre comes out :/ I'm a perfectionist when it comes to detail and colors, so the littlest thing wrong (which may not be wrong in someone else's eyes) will bug me like nobody's business! 

Anybody else out there had a bad experience with ombre or it just wasn't meant for you? What was the process you used in order to get rid of the ombre effect or did you go to a salon and get it professionally corrected?

WhereYouStand

Re: Who has or had ombre colored hair?

I just got mine done yesterday at the salon. :smileyhappy: 1176245_715299305152779_396280424_n.jpg

carrierose

I got my ombre redone at a different salon by a nice little grandmother lady.

She goes "I'm not usually one to say this to a customer, but the girl who did your ombre really didn't know what she was doing."

It took me months to realize, but she was TOTALLY right.  First of all, the girl at the other salon complained about how her manager thinks she is unprofessional the whole time.  Ummm...YOU ARE!!  Then she put highlights in the very top WITHOUT ASKING ME and that ruined the look.  I was just happy my hair was blonde again, but as it grew out a little, it just looked like I had blonde highlights that grew out instead of the ombre look.  She also didn't make the middle even and there were so many lines of demarcation.

This lady really did a nice job...since I'm pregnant I only did a partial, and she did caramel in the middle and a really nice light blonde on the bottom.  I love it.  When I have the baby and have a break I am going to go back so she can darken up the top again so it really looks like ombre and NO highlights.  She said she can't wait to have me come back so she can finish fixing it.  This is honestly the first time I have ever had someone do my hair who I WANT to go back to.  And now I want to call the other salon (Regis) and tell them how much their girl sucked, but it was months ago and she moved to Texas, and I don't even know her name.

DTalksAll

Yikes! That sucks, but at least you found a better colorist!

I had to get mine fixed a few weeks after I first had it done, but now I only get it colored 2x a year. We went with hair painting instead of foils to preserve my length & I do get a few highlights put it, but they aren't close to the root, just to add some dimension (face frame & few scattered around). I like the way it looks when it grows out; I still have the ombre below & I get that "post summer no dye" look on the crown. 

It's such an easy low-maintenance color choice & looks great with or without highlights. My issue is gray hair! I started getting grays when I was 16, but since I've been getting it highlighted most of my life & I have so much hair it really hasn't been an issue. Since I stopped getting my roots done as often I notice them a lot more. Of course other people don't, but I know they are there :smileysad: I wonder how much longer I can keep going until they really become an issue. The other thing I'm battling is my long hair. I recently turned 30 and notice that unless your a model most people over 30 don't have super long hair. It's so thick & I hate blowdrying so layers & bobs don't really work for me. The length it's at now I've had for 2 years and I finally feel comfortable with it. 

janinebt

You've been given some good advice and it seems like a ton of ladies on the board have already rocked the ombre trend (including me). Last fall I did a medium purple ombre which I loved!

What I liked most about it is the fact that it was relatively easy to maintain. I find that ombre and end dyed tresses look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G curled. It just adds the perfect pretty amount of depth with little to no effort.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Spyski

[ Edited ]

Update:

I'm really happy with the results of my un-ombre!!! My hair dresser basically painted a neutral brown color from the ends up to my mid section while managing to have hints of my blonde to show through. I wish I had a better photo, but this has been a really busy week for me, here's a quick pic of my hair after blow drying it (no styling products used) @roxystar4 this is for you! 

Pardon my frizzy ends :smileyhappy:

get-attachment.jpg

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Looks gorgeous Spyski, I love it!

Spyski

(0) Hearts

That's sweet of you :smileyhappy: Thanks!

kenny

Gorgeous, I really like it! 

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Thanks kenny, hope to style it soon when I have the time! :smileyhappy:

kenny

Your welcome, it'll look so pretty curled

lylysa

The addition of the brown adds so much more dimension! Definitely gives more life to your ends rather than having it one color at the bottom across the board! I like it!

Spyski

Thank you lylysa! I like the definition too

lylysa

I bet it would be super gorgeous is you ended up braiding your hair for soft waves or using a salt/texturizing spray so the waves/shape would pick up on all the facets of color!!! Oooooo, if you end up styling it up, snap more pix!

Spyski

Good ideas >.<

I'll put the curling wand to it sometime this week. I always feel "put together" when I wand my hair. Like the same feeling ya get when ya put on a good pair of pumps!

lylysa

Oooo, can't wait to see! :smileyvery-happy:

roxystar4

it looks awesome!  Thank you for sharing. I like it better!  The color brown your colorist chose was nice too.  I like how you can still see some blonde peeking through. It looks like the blonde that is shimmering through in the models hair in your first post

Spyski

(0) Hearts

You're too kind :smileyhappy:

Now all I need is to find something for my brittle ends, blah. Searching for new products can be time consuming, especially reading reviews. 

Spyski

Update: It's fixed!

Heavily applied low lights to ends of hair, now it all blends.

Ombre just wasn't meant for me afterall, but that's ok I'm happy :smileyhappy: 

roxystar4

@spyski can we see a pic?! I am so happy it worked out for you!

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Hopefully later after work!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 52 replies
  • 87 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll