princessbrenna
Accepted Solution

Which oil is best for dry, damaged, frizzy hair?

I want to try using an oil on my damaged hair but am not sure which one to try first. I just used Moroccan Oil but overall was disappointed. It did make my hair really shiny and improved on softness, but took away a lot of the natural wave my hair has and only helped a minimal amount with frizz. 

I'm looking for an oil that will really cut frizz, enhance wave, and soften. 

Thanks in advance!

dianabt

Re: Which oil is best for dry, damaged, frizzy hair?

Hi princessbrenna,

I agree with arielaaaaaa, using an extra hydrating and smoothing mask will help to nourish your hair and repair it more than an oil may be able to do. I love to use Alterna since the items are all sulfate free and smell good- The UV bamboo mask is my favorite as is the kendi dry oil spray to apply to damp or towel dried hair. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

An Oil will only help to an extent. Adding a Deep conditioner is going to be so much better for what you are looking for, Idk if you use one or not, I'd be happy to give you some recommendations. As far as just oil, I really like Alterna's Bamboo Kendi Oil, and spray version, Very light and helps with frizz as was suggested below. And you stated the oils are taking away the natural wave in your hair, it could be because it's damaged, that will alter the natural hair pattern. Restoring the hair with deep conditioners help with that.

helpful

I think Alterna's Kendi Dry Oil spray would be great for what you're trying to achieve. It's light and does a great job of controlling frizz while softening. :smileyhappy:

DaisieWilde

(0) Hearts

I second your Alterna suggestion....LOVE the Kendi Dry Oil.  I use it every day and I can't believe how much my hair has improved and how it doesn't leave my hair greasy or oily.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

How much oil were you using and how were you distributing it?

princessbrenna

(0) Hearts

about a nickle sized amount.I put it on mid-shaft down, cpncentrating on the lower/ends and ran the left over through my scalp.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

My hair is to my hips and I barely use a nickle sized amount. Do you notice if you hair is just soaking up the product or does it coat the hair and leave it greasy or filmy?

Though oils are super dense and made to hydrate and nourish hair, if you're fidning that it doesn't do much for frizz, over applying won't help either as it will just oversaturate the ends and if the oil has dimethicone or silicone in it then it can form water impervious bonds over strands to prevent proper moisture from absorbing.

Try a smoothing cream like the one from Living Proof's No Frizz line. You can apply that first onto your ends/mid shafts of hair and then top it off with a touch of oil if you find it doesn't give enough shine or softness. The LP products use no silicones or waxes, but a polyfluroester to smooth frizz while not weighing hair down.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • princessbrenna
    • helpful
    • DaisieWilde