katiereyn

Which flat iron/straightener is best?

Hey ladies,

I'm looking to buy a new flat iron/straightener. My hair is thick, wavy, and frizzy. I straighten my hair every day (I use a heat protector, no worries!) and I've previously only used a Chi, but all the ones I've had have broken or don't help me get the silky straightness I get when I go to the salon. Suggestions?

Thanks!

OzarkOrigins

Re: Which flat iron/straightener is best?

(0) Hearts
I would like to state that I have not bought or used any of the irons sold by Sephora. They may be fabulous for all I know! Now, I have bought a variety of irons from other brands through the years. The most expensive being a PYT flat iron at $239.00. It was okay, does what it says, but doesn't perform any better than less expensive brands. What PYT does right is use solid ceramic plates... rather than ceramic coated metal plates. If you use a flat iron frequently, ceramic coats wear off and damage hair. What PYT does wrong create a sharp edge on their plates to scrape over hair, thus creating some damage?! The cheapest would have been you're typical Walmart/Walgreens $19.99 type jobs. Really not the best for even heat and damage protection. The best iron was a Jibere deep curve smoothing iron from Salley's. It was around $40.00. It created volume from the root, and smoothed the length, while creating shape in a single sweep. I used it to death, and can't find another! If you're interested, I hope you can! LoL The irons I'm thinking of trying next are Solia and Sedu.
beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

What ever kind of flat iron that you buy make sure it has a ceramic plate they are best for your hair.

redhead85

(0) Hearts

I have the T3 Manetamer. I love it.

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

I've had my GHB for five years and its still going strong.  It gets super hot, like 400 ish degrees.

kaotichappiness

(0) Hearts

GHD 2" is my fave.  it's great for my fine curly hair, but the best for my daughters' thick curly hair. 

helpful

(0) Hearts

I actually just got a coolway iron- it straightens my hair at 270 degrees and does an amazing job. Since the heat is so low it stays shiny and healthy looking. I love it!

cmillertime

(0) Hearts

I love my ghd and I have fine curly hair. Like above, it is pricey, but oh so good. 

katiereyn

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I've got a lot of research to do now! Just another question, how do y'all feel about ghd? I've heard good reviews, but not from people with my hair type.

arielaaaaaaaa

Being that i'm a Hairstylist, I've usd the Babyliss on All different types of hair, from thin to super thick, Frizzy, and Super curly. All of my Friends who are Stylist also prefer to use the Babyliss. I haven't met too many people who don't like it. And the ones who don't like it, have different styles than the Ultra Thin one inch. And i'm not a fan of the other styles.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Hi, I'm a Hair Stylist so i have some experience with different flat irons. I used the Chi for awhile on myself till i came across the Babyliss. It's my Absolute Favorite. So many things i love about it compared to many others. It isn't sold in Sephora though. Its around $100-$129 and i've had mine forever. The one i have the the Ultra thin, It's about once inch in width so it's awesome for curling hair also. You can make curls tight or really loose. And the legnth of the plates are longer than normal so i can get more hair done faster. And you control the temp. which is a must. Not everyones hair can handle the same temp. But don't turn it on too high. I think Ulta might sell it. I tried it once and i'm hooked. It works on all the clients ive used it on and i love it for my hair. I have extremely frizzy hair with alittle wave. I spend maybe 7 minutes straightening my hair. And it's Long. So you might want to look into it. 

The Paul Mitchell Flat iron is nice as well, But after having the Babyliss i love the longer plates. I couldn't get used to another flat iron. But that might work for you. 

Try to always get one that you control the temp. 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I've heard wonderful things about babyliss too, though I've never used it.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I love my Croc. My hair is thick and wavy, plus it's down to my hips. The Croc heats up evenly, never tugs at my hair, and allows for adjustable temperature control.

I know the site Folica has a bunch of indepth reviews on plenty of hair tool brands just like how Sephora offers so many on beauty products!

liveinlovexx

(0) Hearts

I also have thick, wavy, and very frizzy hair and the Sultra flat iron has done miracles! You can find it below.

It's a bit  pricy, but it's worth every penny!

http://www.sephora.com/the-seductress-curl-wave-straight-one-inch-iron-P256816?skuId=1238195

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • redhead85
    • lylysa
    • makeupobesessed
    • beautylovingirl
    • cmillertime