princessad

What should I do with my sad dry blonde hair?!

[ Edited ]

My hair is dyed blonde and has been dry lately. Not really limp or frizzy, just kind of straw-like. Any suggestions on what I can do/use to get it looking healthier?

Thanks for your help! :smileyhappy:

ETA: right now, I don't really have a routine. I shampoo and condition every 2-3 days. I use dry shampoo as needed. I do olive oil treatments every now and then. I only blow dry on special occasions. I straighten my hair probably once a month. My hair is highlighted blonde and  is a few inches past my shoulders.

peacefulseraph

Re: What should I do with my sad dry blonde hair?!

I had the same problem until I switched all of my hair products to Alterna. So assuming you may want to try things out like I do, follow these steps.

1) Use Alterna's anti-aging caviar seasilk shampoo and conditioner

2) use the same line's leave in conditioner afterwards

3) and then twice  a week (for at least a month) use an overnight hair mask. Braid your hair and put a hankerchief on to avoid getting product on your pillow

4) Voila! Those lovely blonde locks will be lovelier, and you won't have to pick as many broken/damaged hairs out of your hairbrush.

princessad

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the great advice everyone!!

Right now, I am alternating Phyto Phytokératine Repairing Shampoo with Aveeno shampoo. I find the phyto makes my hair a little greasy at my roots so I don't like to use it everytime! I condition with Aveeno as well. But I will definitely check out some of the suggestions everyone gave me =)

melissabt

Hi Princessad,

Alterna makes a great line specifically for people with blonde hair! It instantly brightens, eliminates brassiness and strengthens the hair.

blondee shampoo.jpgblondee conditioner.jpg

Since your hair is color treated also, look for product with a UV filter. It will help it from fading and looking dull!

shampoo uv.jpguv mask.jpg

<3 Melissa
laurabt

Hi Princessad, I would definitely recommend using a hair mask 1-2 times per week.  Check these out:

Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment

Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment.jpg

Carol's Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask

Carol's Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask.jpg

You can also leave these on under a plastic shower cap, and sit with hair under a dryer for five to seven minutes for a more deep penetrating treatment.

:smileyhappy: -Laura

lylysa

What are the specific products you're using? Using the right products for your hair type and alterations will help out a great deal.

In addition to the color job, when was the last time you had your ends trimmed? Though it's never a "fun" solution, frequent trims about every 6-8 weeks can keep your hair healthier looking, feeling, and overall improve the condition as you won't have an abundance of dead ends pull away much needed moisture and essential oils from healthy portions and strands.

Dry hair can best be tackled by deep conditioners or masks with hydrating ingredients like olive oil, mango butter, macadamia oil, argan oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, shea butter, almond oil, and such. These ingredients are rich in fatty acids and help to deeply hydrate dry and damaged ends to smooth them down. If you also mention your hair feeling straw-like and even fragile, in combination with conditioning oils, protein complexes are essential. Silk protein, amino acids, keratin, and marine botanicals are infused in products to tackle damaged ends as these proteins and particles bind and fill in damaged areas to smooth the feeling of hair's texture and strengthen them.

Brands/products like Josie Maran's Argan Oil, It's a 10 Miracle Mask, Redken's Real Control Mask, Frederik Fekkai's Shea Butter Mask, Alterna's Bamboo Color/UV Mask, Alterna's Caviar Protein Cream, Joico's K-Pak Deep Reconstructor, and Redken's Color Extend/Diamon Oil/Color Extend After Sun line are all things to look into.

Apply deep conditioners and masks just to damaged portions/direct on ends to prevent weighing the rest of your hair down if such a rich treatment isn't needed.

Whenever you use heat tools (blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons, curlers, etc.) be sure to use a thermal protectant. Sprays work well for fine to normal hair, while serums work for medium to thick hair, while creams, milks, and oils work for coarse hair. Pick one that is suited to your hair type to ensure your hair won't end up greasy or weighed down.

clarks18

Also try a clarifiying shampoo like twice a month.  You might be getting  buildup from the olive oil and the dry shampoo.  Sorry just wanted to add that.

clarks18

Two other brands that are pretty awesome are Kevin Murphy and Pureology.  I used to be all about Pureology but they have changed their formulas a little since L'oreal bought them awhile back.  I have heavily highlighted blonde hair. Since switching to all Kevin Murphy products I actually have some life to my hair.  I also have no more static and it looks so shiny.  My aunt does my hair and she swears by Kevin Murphy.  It sounds like you're taking excellent care of you hair.  Changing up your products will probably make a huge difference for you.  Best of luck in your search!

rikkie

Kevin Murphy products are awesome! My mom loves them so much she won't even try any of the Living Proof products I have recommended to her, haha.

PoshDarling

I am also looking for some new hair products. I feel like I've tried just about everything, but I am intrigued by the mention of Kevin Murphy products, since I haven't tried them yet. Are there any specific products you would recommend?

sowazupb

When my hair is dry and crispy I now go to Ojon Rare Blend Treatment. This is heaven to my hair.swfupload_6548364545229508591.jpg

keelybt

Hi Princessad Which shampoo and conditioner are you using? My hair was super dry and Wen has made such a difference.  You can also try adding an oil if you don't want to change what you are using. I love Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Pure Treatment Oil.  You don't need a lot and dry hair will really soak it up.

swfupload_6993583496377870538.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/sweet-almond-mint-cleansing-conditioner-P374588?skuId=1444934

swfupload_6189856076622128370.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-smooth-kendi-oil-pure-treatment-oil-P278003?skuId=1312784

nebel

I have to second the WEN cleansing conditioner products- they are AWESOME.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • melissabt
    • lylysa
    • clarks18
    • rikkie
    • sowazupb