kats858

What's actually the cleaning agent in Wen?

(0) Hearts

I just started using Wen and have mixed feelings...My hair is definitely softer, but kind of heavy. Not sure how to explain.

While I give it some time before deciding if I love or hate it, I'm wondering what's the actual cleaning agent in the product... There's alcohol in the formulation - is that it? Or the cleansing part is done just by the water? Any thoughts?

hadtotryit

Re: What's actually the cleaning agent in Wen?

(0) Hearts

It is so important to make sure you are using enough of the product... I used it maybe 8 years ago and gave up on it after a month or so. My hair felt nasty with buildup. I gave it another try about 3 years ago and I've not used one drop of regular shampoo since. I finally learned how to use it... My hair is longer and healthier than I though it could ever be. It's crazy curly and naturally very dry and frizzy.

First, I rinse my hair very thoroughly. I use heavy styling products so I have a lot of product to wash out. So I spend about a minute with just the water and my hands working through my hair. Then I wash with the WEN. really focusing in on my scalp. Then I ro she. Then I wash again and leave it in my hair for the rest of my shower. I do a final rinse. Then I put a small amount in as a leave in, focusing on my ends.  I let the towel sit for about five minutes while I get dressed. Then I put another small amount in as a styling product. Then use my usual styling products. 

It really does take time to practice and figure out what works the best for you. :smileyhappy: 

Good luck!!

ginger304

(0) Hearts

I joined the wen lub..I have a short pixie and t costs me oer 50.00 each package..not sure f ts worth it..i use so little because my hair is so short..love the smell but not the price..thnkng of cancelng my membership..i don't know what to do with half the stuff they sent me..ths lst package had 3 large bottles of the pomegranate in it enugh to last me forever along with a lt of other prducts that I hae nno dea what they are for..hae to go t their website each time  want to try something..not really wrth t..like bumble and bumble and livingproof much more..

txmommyofboys

(0) Hearts

I have used Wen for 6 months now & I will never go back, but it doesn't work for everyone! Give it a good 6 weeks until you make your decision!! 

irenet

(0) Hearts

I've been using Wen for 3 years now and I still love only I've changed how I use it. I actually don't use Wen alone in the shower, I still shampoo and condition with L'oreal Sulfate Free products because I love the smell and how it makes my hair soft. Once I towel dry my hair I apply Wen and put a cap on to hold the heat. After about 15 minutes, I rinse and towel dry again. I put about a nickle size amount of Wen in my hair again as a leave in conditioner. Blow dry and style and its been working well for me. My hair doesn't feel heavy at all. Its not the recommended use but it works for me.

kats858

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

This is my hair - in desperate need of life    :smileysad:hair.jpg

tracygirl64

[ Edited ]

Hi kats858, I am a WEN user. Different "flavors" of WEN act differently for hair. I, originally, tried the Sweet Almond Mint and it made my hair softer, but heavy...just like you are describing. I tried Tea Tree and Pomegranate after that, and Tea Tree did the same thing to my hair, while Pomegranate made my hair feel really dry and straw-like. I decided to try Lavender and then I did get the results I was looking for. I have hair past my shoulders (around the top of my bra band) and a lot of hair that is considered normal/fine. Lavender hydrates my hair and makes it soft while still giving me volume. You might want to try some of the different formulas to see which one works the best for your hair type. Fig is the richest of the formulas and is for hair that is damaged and needs lots of moisture. Cucumber Aloe is for those who need lots of clarifying to their scalp (really oily scalps). Sorry, I honestly don't know what the actual cleaning agent is in the product, I just know that it works and does clean my hair. :smileyhappy:

kats858

(0) Hearts

Hi tracygirl64, I had actually read a post from you before buying my Wen (I did some research here on BT and even typed with the live chatting person on their website). Lavander sounds amazing (as I love love loooove everything lavander) but I understood that it's for fine hair and mine is thicker... Also down to the bra line, but a tad frizzy and with a texture that's a bit wavy on spopt and more straight on others (odd, I know).

I went with the Almond Mint as it sounded like the most average of the line. My first wash was fabulous. Now (a coupld of days after the third) I'm feeling my hair so heavy... Can't decide if today I'll do Wen alone or shampoo + Wen.

Can someone decide for me?  Hahaha    :smileywink:

tracygirl64

(0) Hearts

I believe Lavender is for people who still want volume in their hair, so it does work well for people with fine hair, but people with normal/thick hair can use it too. Honestly, I thought I was going to hate the Lavender, but it's the one that works the best for me. Did you buy your Wen through Sephora, QVC or Guthy Renker? You can always exchange your Sweet Almond Mint until you find the Wen that works the best for you. If one just doesn't work that well for you, you can always return it. :smileyhappy:

notcreative

I love the lavender one too.  

kats858

(0) Hearts

I just spied on your photos and you seem to have finer hair, right? (love it, by the way!)

Mine is just odd, I guess...

Tirah

(0) Hearts

I tried Wen several years ago when you could only get it through the infomercials. I too had mixed feelings. The first time was fantastic but the more I used it the more heavy & flat my hair was. I have oily hair to begin with so after 2 weeks of flat, lifeless (albeit incredibly shiny) hair I switched back to my regular shampoo. The first wash with my regular shampoo brought back so much body to my hair that I firmly believe Wen never really did clean it. After that I only used it for a deep conditioning treatment while my hair was long.

kats858

(0) Hearts

That's kind of how I feel. That maybe I should go back to regular shampoo and use Wen as a conditioner after it...

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

that's exactly how it made my hair feel. it looked decent the first day and then gradually got oilier. I used it 3 mons like that and then switched to using it as a conditioner. i find it too heavy for the scalp on my fine hair. even just switching back, my hair felt like straw the 2st few washes. it was probably the wen built up.

nishcakes

The idea behind Wen is the practice of cowashing (washing the hair with conditioner). The purpose is to avoid using harsh detergents found in shampoos (I.e. sulfates) that can be drying to hair leading to frizz and breakage over time. 

When cowashing, sometimes it is necessary to clarify the hair in-between washes, especially if you are using styling products that contain certain silicones (I.e. any ingredient that ends in -cone, like dimethicone). When using conditioners for cleansing, avoid silicones unless they are water soluble (I.e. Starts with PEG-, like PEG-dimethicone). Conditioner cannot remove silicones that are not water soluble. Therefore, you end up with buildup.

It sounds like buildup is your current problem.

Wash your hair with a sulfate- free shampoo to remove the buildup during your next wash instead of Wen. Do this occasionally to avoid build of Wen and styling products. You can also clarify the hair by rinsing with diluted apple cider vinegar (ACV rinse). Use 1:4 ACV:water then rinse with water. Don't worry,,,the smell goes away when you rinse it out.

About alcohols...not all alcohols are bad. The alcohols in Wen are good ones. They are making your hair soft. Good alcohols that are moisturizing include cetyl alcohol, etc. Bad alcohols that are drying include isopropyl alcohol (SD alcohol).

if this isn't clear or you have more questions, you can PM me.

kats858

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the idea of washing in between, but doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I'm not against the alcohols, but I really would like to understand how the cleansing conditioners really clean your hair. Or don't they? And the only cleansing you get is the same you would with just rinsing?

nishcakes

(0) Hearts

The friction of the washing process and the emulsifiers and surfactants in conditioners can also function as cleansers. This is best for curly haired girls. If you have straight hair, I personally think this isn't the product for you.

the ACV rinse would be after using Wen, if you didn't want to use shampoo at any point.

Washing with a sulfate free shampoo in between washes won't defeat the purpose.

kats858

(0) Hearts

My hair is thicker and has some volume and frizz (not a lot) but I like it when I blow dry and get it to have movement... I'm not sure this is for me, but want to try for a bit longer before deciding for sure. Just wanted to try to understand how the hair gets clean. If it's just the water, then this process would work with any conditioner?

nishcakes

(0) Hearts

Yes, cowashing can work with any conditioner.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • ginger304
    • aviscardi
    • tracygirl64
    • notcreative
    • kats858
    • hadtotryit