From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

Curls & Coils

Curls & Coils

• 41653 Members
  • 978 Conversations
  • 250+ Photos

A place where people curly girl care about coil maintenance. Start your curly hair routine, share products in your frizz-fighting arsenal, and get answers to classic coil Qs.

A place where people curly girl care about coil maintenance. Start your curly hair routine, share products in your frizz-fighting arsenal, and get answers to classic coil Qs.

Choosing a different post order may automatically update the order of the posts that are displayed to match the selected order.
Sort By:
Most Recent
New Reply in Curls & Coils
Natural curls
|
Re: Natural curls
FRESH FACE I INSIDER
Reply: @MrsEye I like camille rose’s curl love moisture milk and her spiked honey mousse. Use some kind of detangling brush (like a denma ...read more
@MrsEye I like camille rose’s curl love moisture milk and her spiked honey mousse. Use some kind of detangling brush (like a denman brush for example) or tangle teaser; or if u have more wavy curls, a wide tooth comb. That should help define your curls and evenly distribute the product.
New - Lots of questions!
|
Re: New - Lots of questions!
FRESH FACE I INSIDER
Reply: @FriendlyGal i’ma gonna try to describe some basic styles i do and provide pictures as an example if i can. So first i like to p ...read more
@FriendlyGal i’ma gonna try to describe some basic styles i do and provide pictures as an example if i can😂. So first i like to part my hair horizontally (at like eyebrow level) across my head and do two space buns or ponytails; some times I switch the middle part up and instead of parting straight down the middle i’ll zig zag it or make it diagonal. Like the first picture: (none of these pictures are me, but they serve as a visual) Another one i do, for when I want to amp up my low ponytails, start the part off above the middle of one of my eyebrows and do a straight but diagonal line towards the center of my head. I cant find a picture that matches what it looks like well sorry😂. And then there’s the classic half up half down (second picture) and maybe leave some hair out on the sides if you want or have two small braids on the side 2 low pony tails or buns (third picture) and again play around with the parts; you could do a regular straight part, zigzag , diagonal, or side.  Also, whenever i’m looking for new style’s Pinterest is the main place i go (thats also where i got these reference pics lol)
Recent images from this conversation
Frizzy hair
|
Re: Frizzy hair
FRESH FACE I INSIDER
Reply: @natsta The Aussie Frizz taming cream worked well for me with preventing frizz, the only down side is it can weigh my hair down si ...read more
@natsta The Aussie Frizz taming cream worked well for me with preventing frizz, the only down side is it can weigh my hair down since it’s so thick. Depending on your hair texture that may or may not be an issue for you. But also the Curlsmith ‘Hold Me Softly’ style balm is another that worked well for me.
3c or 4a?
|
Re: 3c or 4a?
BIC Ambassador INSIDER
Reply: @angelicacuenta, Hey ... I'm transitioning to natural, too. Hurray! I can't tell you what my curl pattern is quite yet, but I ...read more
@angelicacuenta, Hey 👋🏽... I'm transitioning to natural, too. Hurray! I can't tell you what my curl pattern is quite yet, but I was talking with my stylist recently. It's entirely possible to have both types. Usually when people care to type, you also often see a slash, so you could easily type yourself as 3c/4a.
Hair Advice: New to Natural Waves 🌊
|
Re: Hair Advice: New to Natural Waves 🌊
BOSS V INSIDER
Reply: @CynthieLu - My favorite is adwoa beauty Melonberry Hair Milk Leave-In Conditioner 6.8 oz / 200 mL . ...read more
@CynthieLu - My favorite is adwoa beauty Melonberry Hair Milk Leave-In Conditioner 6.8 oz / 200 mL .
Heat protectant recommendations?
|
Re: Heat protectant recommendations?
NEWCOMER I INSIDER
Reply: I just went to Sephora and the associate told me Amina brand and kerastase ones are really good
I just went to Sephora and the associate told me Amina brand and kerastase ones are really good
Curl/Wave Restoration!
|
Re: Curl/Wave Restoration!
NEWCOMER I INSIDER
Reply: Hi, I'm in the same hair journey and just recently ordered some products that might help. After doing some research, I've decided ...read more
Hi, I'm in the same hair journey and just recently ordered some products that might help. After doing some research, I've decided to go with Curlsmith products.Also:- scrunching method after shower- using microfiber towel- using a hair diffuser *I hope it helps 🤞
Is my hair curly
|
Re: Is my hair curly
NEWCOMER II INSIDER
Reply: Thank you!!
Thank you!!
Deep conditioner recommendations
|
Re: Deep conditioner recommendations
ICON I INSIDER
Reply: Hi @bnhbriannaa ! I have coily hair (I’ll call it mostly 4a) that’s low porosity at the crown and back, and high porosity in the f ...read more
Hi @bnhbriannaa ! I have coily hair (I’ll call it mostly 4a) that’s low porosity at the crown and back, and high porosity in the front. I’ve been natural for 20 years. Finding products that work for my blend of porosity is sometimes a challenge, but I’ve got some trusty staples in my haircare routine (I’m mostly a wash & go gal). My usual conditioner is Redken All Soft Mega Curls Conditioner. It does contain soy protein, so it might not be what you want for frequent use. It works very well on all my hair, though—even the crazy high porosity stuff that always wants to frizz the heck out before the rest of my hair’s anywhere near dry. (Note that this is NOT the same product as Redken All Soft Conditioner; that one leaves my hair feeling unmoisturized and I can’t detangle with it.) A few times a month, I swap Redken with Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!™ Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL and use it as a deep conditioner. This product also contains proteins. This is the only Briogeo product I use (eh, I do have their solid shampoo bar waiting for me to test). After rinsing out either of those conditioners, I immediately apply leave-in conditioner and/or styling product while my hair’s still soaking wet. This helps define my coils and does some moisturizing. Then I gently towel-off any drips. If you don’t already do that, give that a try and see if it helps your hair feel less dry after conditioning. Oh, and that TGIN honey mask… my hair’s generally not a fan of honey, and that might also be part of your hair’s problem. For some reason, honey’s the only humectant that seems to make my hair cuticles stay lifted/open, which makes my strands catch and snag on one another (hello tangled mess) and lose moisture. I don’t have this problem with aloe vera, or at least not as big a problem. Last time I tried TGIN’s mask, it didn’t play nice with my hair because of this.
Recently told I have curly hair
|
Re: Recently told I have curly hair
FRESH FACE I INSIDER
Reply: @KaylaMik Quidad or inahsi’s clarifying shampoo is pretty good. As for moisture, if you want a hair mask, the mielle strengthen mo ...read more
@KaylaMik Quidad or inahsi’s clarifying shampoo is pretty good. As for moisture, if you want a hair mask, the mielle strengthen moisture hair mask or the matrix food for soft hair mask. Let the mask sit for like 3-5 minutes after you’ve washed your hair then rinse it out. Or if you don’t want the hair mask you can get moisture by using oils, the PATTERN by Tracee Ellis Ross Argan Hair & Scalp Oil Blend 3.9 oz/ 115.3 mL is good for that. I don’t have the same hair type as you but i still have some basic useful tips that still apply:- if you like to use a hair dryer to dry you hair after washing, get a diffuser attachment if you don’t have one already (you could also let it air dry) - since it sounds like you have wavy hair, it’s important that you don’t use heavy products that weigh down your hair (or use too much product) - maybe look into satin/silk pillowcases to cut down on frizz and breakage of your hair - detangle with your hair wet using a wide tooth comb- try a hair mousse. The Duex Mousse Def one is really good- scrunch your hair after you’ve detangled, it helps your curls form To sum it all up, in order that would be wash, detangle with wide tooth comb, apply mousse (or whatever product of your choice), apply hair oil, dry with diffuser or air dry, and if once your hair is dry you notice it seems frizzy or not shiny (a healthy shine, not oily) add a little bit more of the hair oil.
4,333 Posts