ephgirl

What is a good hair product for African American babies?

My daughter is African American, but I am not. What is a good product for daily upkeep and moisturizing? She is only 5 months old, so it needs to be gentle. Thanks!

pinkonyx

Re: What is a good hair product for African American babies?

just a little olive oil, nothing else...

nebel

I have nothing useful to add, I just wanted to congratulate you on your baby girl!! 

tashalicious

[ Edited ]

at 5 months old i wouldn't put anything in an african american baby's hair, at that age their hair is still pretty easy to manage, if you want it to shine, rub a little olive oil in it, the less chemicals you use the healthier her hair will be as she grows older. 

ilovetopurplefy

When I was little, my mom used this hair care line specifically made for African/African American little girl hair called Baby Love. She used it on my hair from when I was 3 months old to the age of 11 and it worked well. It's still on the market if you want to try it out. It made my hair manageable and really soft. Olive Oil products also work very well.

1930sbella

I have heard that coconut oil is really good for their hair. Hope this helps. Congrats, enjoy your baby girl!

nichelle02

ephgirl, first... congratulations! Second, I sent you a PM.

Thanks!

misscg

Well she's only 5 months old so for now I would just stick to detangler and aveeno shampoo and conditioner. As she gets older you can use products more for her hair type. Right now I'm using WEN on both of my daughter's hair. You just need to keep it moisturized and detangled and WEN helps with that as well as olive oil products. Carol's Daughter is also a good brand for natural african american hair. I hope this helps some. 

ephgirl

To clarify, my daughter isn't mixed, she's adopted. Mafan, I'll definitely check out that book. I just bought a different book on how to do African American children's hair, but it doesn't specify the brands of products to use. Thanks!

mafan

You might check out this thread:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/Hair-products-for-mixed-children/m-p/500623/highlight/true#...

At the end I mentioned a book I read about for people raising children different skin/hair than their own, which might be worth trying to look at, too.

BlushHoarder

I would use Carol's Daughter on your mixed child's hair. That is what I do. Curiously, Josie Marans Argan Oil Hair Serum works well for my daughter too.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • misscg
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • mafan
    • ephgirl
    • nebel
    • 1930sbella