Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

What Are Your Favorite Textured Hair Products?

Happy Monday, BeautyTalkers!

Is your hair wavy, curly, coily or somewhere in between? We want to know what your favorite products are for your textured hair. 

Feel free to share your hair type along with the (preferably) Sephora products you love. I've included the categories below but feel free to skip any categories that aren't relevant.

1. Shampoo/Co-wash

2. Conditioner

3. Mask

4. Leave-in

5. Serum/Oil

6. Styler

7. Brush/Comb

8. Extra Credit (Towels, diffusers, pillowcases, etc.)

Can't wait to learn about your favorites!

Re: What Are Your Favorite Textured Hair Products?

Bump!

Let's go again!

One more time!

It'll never end!

My hair is  to my shoulder blades, thick, and slightly dry but with an oily scalp and naturally wavy, but straighter in some parts than others, which makes using products that enhance natural waves problematic. That said, i recently started using the Living Proof In-shower styler and I. Love. It. 

In my opinion it works so much better than B&b Don't Blow It (either formula-- especially since the thick version that just came out left my hair feeling ropey).

Here are the other products that I use:

1. Shampoo: B&B Hairdressers Invisible Oil or Oribe Gold Lust (alternate days) with Oribe Clarifying foam shampoo every couple weeks

1A) Dry Shampoo: Klorane non-aresol (at night) or Living Proof dry shampoo in the morning or after a workout. Both work better than any others that I've tried but only use the Klorane at night to get the most effect out of it!

2. Conditioner: Terax La Crema; i've been using this religiously for 15 years-- it's gotten increasingly harder to find (Sephora, Ulta, and BirchBox all stopped carrying it), and now I have to order it from Beauty Care Choices, but I have NEVER found a conditioner that works as well on my hair as it does. I'll gladly pay $8.00 in shipping for it.

3. Mask: Oribe Gold Lust restorative mask. The smell is divine. I also like the B&b Hairdressers Invisible Oil mask that came out last year

4. Leave-in: B7B Hairdresser's Invisible Oil primer works like a leave-in for me

4A) Night treatment: Phyto Secret de Nuit-- a game changer in keeping my hair sleek and non-frizzy in the winter, especially when paired with Klorane dry shampoo at night. But it's overkill in the summer.

5. Serum/Oil: None

6. Styler: B&b Surf Foam blow dry if I am blowdrying my hair straight, or Living Proof In-shower styler if I am air-drying. I used to use B&b Don't blow it but am never going back from Living Proof now! 😃 Occasionally I'll use B&B Repair Blow dry, and I use the All-Style blow dry when traveling because I have found it to be a little more forgiving when using hotel hairdryers that work slower/less powerfully than my T3.

7. Brush/Comb: generic paddle vent brush for blow drying my hair straight, generic large round brush for styling bangs, and the Sephora boars-bristle brush throughout the day

8. Extra Credit (Towels, diffusers, pillowcases, etc.): Love my microfiber towel for drying my hair while I do my makeup and the Drybar clips for keeping my hair off my face when touching up my makeup.

I have wavy hair that is pretty thick and course. I've had trouble getting my waves to look beachy while not getting too frizzy but I've found a few items that truly work.

1. Shampoo/Co-wash: whatever samples I have laying around 😛

2. Conditioner: Aussie leave-in conditioner

3. Mask: no masks as of now

4. Leave-in: None at the moment

5. Serum/Oil: I've always loved Moroccan Oil, I mean, it smells incredible and isn't too heavy, what's not to love? Also, the Aquage Beyond Shine spray leaves my hair beautifully shiney but not too oily, which works perfectly for me. It helps control frizz but keeps my waves looking beachy.

6. Styler: Just got the Sephora Favorites samplers for sea salt spray and I'm OBSESSING over the Verb salt spray. I'm also loving the Ouai Wave spray. Another Moroccan Oil fav is their styling cream, smells heavenly!

7. Brush/Comb: I find that brushing leaves my waves more poof-y instead of piece-y and textured, so I just run my fingers through my hair in the shower if anything.

8. Extra Credit (Towels, diffusers, pillowcases, etc.): my #1 secret is drying my hair with an old cotton t-shirt instead of a heavy towel. It gets rid of frizz and still leaves my waves nice and textured.

My hair is fine and sparse. It has a little bit of wave, so when I lived in a humid climate, it didn't take much to get it enough volume to make up for it. A little mousse and some diffusing and it still looked good. Then I moved to the high desert, and there was no humidity to help. I've had fine, limp, hair for years, hence the hats.

Then, two things made the difference:

* An outstanding stylist

* Ouai Wave Spray + Texturizing Hair Spray

1. Shampoo:  I don't use a texturizing specific one. Lush Daddy-O

2. Conditioner:  I don't use a texturizing specific one. Lush Sugar Daddy-O & American Cream

3. Mask:  I don't use a texturizing specific one. Lush Marylin.

4. Leave-In:  I don't use

5.  Serum/Oil:  I don't use

6.  Styler:  Ouai Wave Spray before drying, Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray after

7. Brush/Comb:  Something I've had for years. I have no idea what it is.

8. Extra Credit:  I recently upgraded my dryer to the Drybar Buttercup with diffuser. Looooove It!!!!

Even though my fine/thin hair needs all the help I can get, I use very few texturizing-specific products. Because I highlight my hair, I also need t treat is with kindness so it doesn't get too dry/brittle.

@SheWhoSkis + @wheeeee ...tell me more about the buttercup diffuser! I have a baby buttercup but have not been using a diffuser for years. It sounds like it's worth it?!

@curlieq, I recommend it as well. It is high quality, and it fits the Buttercup perfectly. 

I have the regular blowdryer and bought the diffuser a few months ago.   I haven't used diffuser since my teens!

(but, I love everything Dry Bar, and wanted it!) 

It dries your hair without blowing it all over the place. It is big!  lol  This is good to prevent frizzy waves/curls. 

Recommend!! 

@curlieq

Thanks for the tag @jen143xo

Hair:  Thick, wavy, coarse, dirty blond. 

In the process of growing out my long hair into mega long hair.  Growing out my chin-to-bra strap length layers down to my waist has been my greatest challenge since now I can't style it, anymore. Mats easily since it is coarse.  I braid it a lot, though. 

Shampoo/Co-wash- CR Salt scrub, Dry Bar Blond, Oribe, Reverie

Conditioner- Dry Bar Blond, Oribe, Reverie

Mask- DB Mudslide, Briogeo, Oribe, organic Rose oil

Leave-in- DB Prep Rally, B&B Don't Blow It, Oribe Supershine, Reverie Milk, Davines

Serum/Oil- Reverie hair oil, Reverie Hair Tonic, organic Rose oil

Styler- OUAI Wave Spray (not sure if it does anything, but it smells heavenly), Dry Bar Mousse, Oribe Anti-humidity Spray

Brush/Comb- Mason Pearson combs and Detangling brush. I brush my hair 25 times from scalp to neck daily and my scalp doesn't get gunky anymore.

Extra Credit- Dry Bar diffuser (with DB blowdryer) dries my hair without frizz, Peter Thomas Roth Conditioning cap  (Yessss!), Rogaine Mousse and all my Hair Vitamins.  HUM Red Carpet, Viviscal, Nature Bounty Hair Skin & Nails, Horse Tail supplements  (yea, I take them all at once at night). Homemade super protein smoothies. Makes my nails grow into talons as well!  (gotta trim weekly). Well, these are my hair secrets! ;')

my hair is big, thick, and (used to be curly but is now) wavy. here are my current favs:

1. shampoo: briogeo green tea and/or the new charcoal scrub once/week. (it smells like thin mints)

2. conditioner: living proof ph.d.

3. mask: none

4. leave-in: none

5. oil: occasionally living proof's no-frizz nourishing oil, but only when it's feeling really dry (and only on ends)

6. styler: b&b all-style blow dry followed by b&b surf infusion (agreed with @sydtomato that this product is ahh-mazing)

7. brush/comb: i haven't brushed my hair for years? (seriously...is that bad?)

8. extra credit: aquis waffle turban towel; a lifesaver!

always on the look out for new products to try. i have LP's leave-in shower styler on the way and have been really piqued by devacurl/wave...trying to calm myself.

@curlieq what do you like about the B&b surf infusion, I haven't tried this one yet!

Hahaha not bad that you haven't brushed your hair in so long, you obviously have this situation under control 🙂 

A note on the surf infusion-- I don't use it often, but when I do I use quite a bit--- i feel like to get the benefits I have to spray twice as much as I might for another product. That's not a complaint because it works REALLY well, but if you use too little it seems like it's not doing anything (which is what happened on my first couple of uses until I figured out to load it into my hair).

@MegEm, it must be an individual thing...because if i use too much my hair is irreversibly too "product-y," if that makes sense. i have to be careful to not overdo it.

with the price i suppose i'd rather be on my side of that equation... 🙂 but glad you like it too!

It's so funny how the same products work so differently for different hair types. And yes to the price! That's why I don't use it often-- I find that I get more bang for my buck from other products and save the Surf Infusion for special occasions--- I love the smell of it so much that I can't quite make myself stop buying it completely!

@KatieBT, it provides an amazing amount of volume and hold without being crunchy or stiff (or weighed down like creams can do)! It also helps my partially curly/partially wavy (aka identity problem) hair enhance its shape.

I have tried so many products over the years, and this one just works so well. I can't let my hair air dry because it holds so much water...it literally takes a half day for it to dry all the way out. So the blow dry component is key!

I have been wanting to try the surf infusion and this sounds perfect for my wavy hair. 

@Anewxa, do try! There is a travel size you could scoop up to test it out before fully committing 🙂

I have wavy/curly, fine, thin hair.

1. Shampoo/Co-wash:  Avalon Organics Scalp Treatment Tea Tree Shampoo

2. Conditioner:  Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner

3. Mask:  None

4. Leave-in:  None

5. Serum/Oil:  None; however, this morning I used a sample of marula oil and my hair looked awesome!

6. Styler:  DevaCurl Wave Maker or IGK Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel

7. Brush/Comb:  I bought my brush from my stylist years ago!  I use it after I wash my hair.  Otherwise, I don't brush/comb.

8. Extra Credit (Towels, diffusers, pillowcases, etc.):  A bathroom towel; air dry my hair; the pillowcase that came with the sheets.

Conversation Stats
testing