hollypocket

To perm or not to perm?

Hello everyone! For the past couple of months I've been considering getting a perm. Something kind of loose and relaxed, nothing like my nan's blue rinse :smileywink:

However, I am concerned about the effects on my hair. I currently have "virgin" hair in the sense that it's never been coloured or highlighted or had any chemical alteration. I keep it well conditioned, but I'm concerned that the perm will really badly damage it?

Would the convenience/aesthetics of a perm outweigh the damage? Or are there products that could help keep my hair well maintained?

hollypocket

Re: To perm or not to perm?

(0) Hearts

Some awesome advice here everyone! Thanks so much for all your help :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Don't do it! I did it once in High School and never again! I have thick, long, straight hair. It completely ruined it. I went to one of the top salons in NYC to get it done and I still had issues. My hair didn't take the perm well; I took good care of it, but after about 2 weeks it just became frizzy and flat. 

I went to another salon not too long ago and inquired again. I know some of the technique and formulas have changed. They advised me NOT to get it done. 

I since have invested in a really awesome curling wand http://www.sephora.com/the-bombshell-1-inch-P268003 and it takes me about 15-30 minutes (depending on the look) to do what a regular curling iron took over hour to do. I don't use hairspray and the curls/waves last. By day 2 or 3 just my ends have a curl, but the volume is still there. 

melissabt

Hi Hollypocket,

I've never had a perm myself however, my best friend got one and it was so damaging to her hair:smileysad: If you don't like it you basically have to wait for it to grow out.

I saw a new type of 'perm' type treatment called the American Wave. You can customize how loose you want the curls and it looks a lot more natural!

<3 Melissa
DesertRose0706

i remeber getting a perm in high school becuase I have very straight hair ad wanted it ti have a pretty curl.  It did not turn out pretty at all, and it tookme years to grow it out,

Fabz

I've considered getting a perm too since I love curls. However, I would say that it would probably be more harmful than good. I just got highlights done one my "virgin" hair and my hair is pretty dry and brittle now. Though if it's something you really want to do then go for it. 

Daniela1387

my mom permed my hair once it was a disaster it was supposed to be a loose wavy kind of look ended up looking like my hair was burned >.< 

arielaaaaaaaa

Well i am a stylist, And done right it can look pretty. But how long is your hair? That really depends on the curl you will have.

hollypocket

Hey!
My hair is fairly long, just past my bra strap?

arielaaaaaaaa

Well there are ways to get a loose curl but it's hard. Your hair has to go around the curl rod a certain number of times before it will actually be a curl. You will have to look around for body waves and people who can do a relaxed curl, Most stylist who even do perms still tend to be older and are stuck with doing tight curls. Perms are expensive and for the work involved they deserve to be. To get a good result you need to go to a higher up salon and make sure the stylist knows exactly what you want, and they have experience with it. Get consultations. I find the process of perms to be so tedious. I also can't stand the smell i never did them once i finished cosmetology school. 

Are you sure it's something you want, you can always use a curling iron. 

mafan

My hair is permed and I've had it permed for at least 20 years, probably more. That doesn't count the perm in a box, etc, I had as a kid or having it done off and on as a teen. 

For me, it makes sense. I have very thin, straight hair. It doesn't hold a curl from rollers. If I have too much off between perms it won't hold from my curling iron. 

Does it damage hair, sure it does, some. Any chemical treatment will. But my hair has no natural body and I can't find a decent way to wear it straight. I'd rather have a perm and let the grey come in. 

My recommendation is to talk to a hair stylist? You'll want one anyway if you decide to do it, and you'll have to take care of it in some fashion. 

If your hair is in good condition, perming it won't make it all fall out or cause any more damage than coloring it will. And like color, you can let it grow out if you don't like it. How long that takes depends on how long your hair is. 

POI definitely don't recommend coloring and perming your hair at the same time. 

catherineu2

Since your hair is "virgin" I don't think you will have much damage if you get it done at a good salon. Getting a loose relaxed perm however might be harder than you think. I remember I wanted a perm like that a few years ago and it was impossible to find a salon that had rollers big enough. All the places I went to had smaller tight rollers that would've made me look like a poodle lol. In the end I just bought some hot rollers and got the look I wanted. It didn't take very long to do once I got the hang of them.

roxystar4

i would recommend not doing it, but that is just me. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • melissabt