debbpookie

Thinning hair

Hi! I am currently trying to find a solution or products to help with thinning hair. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

debbpookie

Re: Thinning hair

Thank you to everyone for all your great advice :smileyhappy:

chelle478

I have been taking the vitamin supplement Viviscal (in the pink box) for about 3 months. I have substantially less daily shedding, and at my last visit to my stylist, he noticed some new growth!

BTW, I have struggled with thinning hair since my mid 20's due to PCOS and thyroid disease. I have tried lots of different products over the years to cover the thinning on top. I have finally settled on Bosely's powder/fibers. I find it stays better than Toppik. I am getting ready to start using a laser comb to see if it works for me. I would love to not have to use fibers every day, but with my fair skin and dark hair, my scalp just looks so obvious.

dianabt

Hi debbpookie,

The products Laura suggested and tips/advice from Lylysa are definitely helpful! Try to stick to sulfate free products that will be less damaging and fading on color treated hair, but also try thickening mousses and sprays which are lighter on the hair than creams and lotions can be.

Thinning hair can be related stress, medical conditions or just hereditary so finding the cause will make a big difference in what you use and how to treat/style the hair. I've found that my hair has been helped immensely by adding a vitamin B supplement to my diet as well as treatment elixirs and serums like those by Phyto and even Ouidad to help stimulate and soothe the scalp:

Phyto Phytocyane

Phyto - Phytocyane Revitalizing Serum

Ouidad Meditteranean Bay Leaf Exfoliating Hair & Scalp Treatment

Ouidad - Mediterranean Bay Leaf Exfoliating Hair & Scalp Treatment

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

By chance do you know the root of the thinning issue or can share more extensive information on the type of thinning you're experiencing (is is around the hair line, scalp, random patches/areas, is it accompanied by mild to severe hair loss that is outside of the norms of regular loss due to shedding or brushing)?

Thinning and hair loss can be caused by numerous factors from external to internal means. Everything from hormonal or thyroid imbalances, change in diet, medication, changes in the body (weightloss or gain, childbirth, etc.), exposure to chemical treatments (straightening, color processes, chemical processes), and hereditary means.

Nioxin is one of the more well known lines in hair care for thinning hair (be it beginning signs of thinning to more severe cases, along with specialty products for color treated hair and even styling products. Nioxin products work on increasing the fullness of strands, keeping your scalp properly maintained and balanced, ensuring proper hydration and sebum levels, and removing excess build up that can weigh strands down.

You might also look into volumizing or root lifting products like light weight foams or sprays. Phyto's PhytoVolume Actif spray is a wonderful volume amplifier that works with your blow dryer. The heat activates the formula which forms bonds between strands that expand with heat, plumping up volume and making hair look fuller.

Another line you may look into is Living Proof's Full line. It's a brand that doesn't rely on heavy silicones and waxes, which can weigh any hair type down will excess use and relies on polyfluroesters to smooth and tame hair while remaining weighless and giving hair volume. Their products are gentle and safe for color treated hair as well.

For styling tools, look into things like hot rollers or even velcro rollers, which may be more gentle as they don't rely on such high impact uses of heat, you can use them with a blow dryer set on low or medium and time it accordingly. Rollers will provide soft volume and lift, depending on your hair length, the larger the roller, the softer and more organic the volume provided will look, especially since they are used toward the crown/front of the head. Too small of a roller and you end up with a tight curl along the hairline.

laurabt

Hi Debbpookie, we have a lot of products geared toward treating and masking thinning hair.  Here are some of the treatments I recommend:

Alterna Caviar Clinical Weekly Intensive Boosting Treatment

Alterna Caviar Clinical Weekly Intensive Boosting Treatment.jpghttp://bit.ly/MdbBbz

Phyto Caviar Clinical Weekly Intensive Boosting Treatment

Phyto Caviar Clinical Weekly Intensive Boosting Treatment.jpghttp://bit.ly/12D2hmL

Alterna Caviar Clinical Daily Root & Scalp Stimulator

Alterna Caviar Clinical Daily Root & Scalp Stimulator.jpghttp://bit.ly/19RrMmr

Ojon Damage Reverse™ Thickening Restorative Scalp Treatment

Ojon Damage Reverse™ Thickening Restorative Scalp Treatment.jpghttp://bit.ly/121iChX

:smileyhappy: -Laura

http://bit.ly/MdbBbz

debbpookie

I would like to try and treat my thinning hair (which is also color treated) but also any tips on styling and appearance I would greatly appreciate

dianabt

Hi debbpookie, 

Did you want items to help treat thinning hair or to help with styling and the appearance? I have a few things I can recommend for you but would like to know a bit more so I can give you the best suggestions! :smileyhappy:

Thanks! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • chelle478
    • laurabt