Elena92

Thick/heavy long hair with no volume.....flat hair!

(0) Hearts

Hello!

I have a big issue with my hair. I've tried everything everything so far, my hair is too thick and dry that it's just flat very flat. Second, its very dry and it's just not soft. I really want to add some volume to my hair. I've tried bumble and bumble thickening shampoo and nothing. please help! I need advice on shampoos and conditioners and a root lifter if its needed!

linda84

Re: Thick/heavy long hair with no volume.....flat hair!

(0) Hearts

Girl, I have the same issue! I used Bumble and Bumble Texture cream and it gave me amazing volume, but after a while it went flat again grrr! My hairdresser basically told me it was a lost cause because long, thick hair weighs down.

For dryness, I recommend Organix Argan Oil Conditioner. It is super hydrating and leaves hair very soft.

Elena92

(0) Hearts

I'm definitely going to try this product out! thanks!

knadala

(0) Hearts

I brush my hair upwards from my scalp and spray the roots with dry shampoo, its an easy way to get some lift without having to put a bunch of goopy/oily/stiff product in my hair.

Elena92

(0) Hearts

I've never brushed my hair upwards. I always brush it downwards instead. Thanks :smileyhappy:

Spoiler

hydee77

(0) Hearts

I have thick, dry hair as well that's down a little past my shoulders.  I would recommend first finding (if you don't already have someone) a stylist that is experienced enough and won't be intimidated by working with thick hair.  Like what's already been said, ask for long layers and to have it thinned out some but don't let them use those thinning shears!  I go every 8 weeks for a trim and to keep it thinned out.

For styling my hair, I try to wash it only once a week.  I use L'oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry Hair, Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Knot Out Conditioner, and L'oreal Mythic Oil after I get out the shower.  I let it air dry, and I don't touch it until it dries.  Once dried, I brush it out, then straighten it.  When I go to sleep I put it in a low bun.

For volume, I just brush my hair by holding my head upside down, then flip it over and brush it in the "normal" position.  My hair isn't dry anymore using the above routine and I find it has natural volume now that it's hydrated. :smileyhappy:

Good luck, it is frustrating controlling thick hair!

Elena92

(0) Hearts

ugh i agree its frustrating. But i do have heavy hair as it is, and well im going to find a stylist to get some opinions. thanks soo much!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

What are you doing to get volume at your roots? Blow drying, hot rollers....? You may want to change up your technique. I don't like using heat unless I'm curling my hair. When It's damp I'll spray some bumble & bumble thickening hairspray & put it up in a messy bun and let it air dry overnight. When I wake up I have some lift. Another option is to clip the top of your hair into a pouf while letting it air dry. 

My long, straight hair does not do well with layers or thinning because I usually air dry it. Layers don't fall nicely on my hair unless I take the time to style it & thinning creates more frizz. 

For dryness I use Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave in Conditioner. I keep it in my shower and apply a tiny bit on my ends & work it up after I turn off the water. 

swfupload_2633526131249640372.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/moisture-lock-leave-in-conditioner-P242145?skuId=1200070

Is your hair dry everywhere, or mostly the ends?  You may want to get cuts more often then every 6 months. I get a trim 4x a year (about every 3 months) and then a healthy cut (more then 2 inches) every few years. 

Elena92

thanks! I am going to try this product out. I blow dry my hair and i use rollers but not hot rollers and i use a root lifter on my damp hair. 

BeautyJunkie325

I have very thick hair and get it cut with long layers and have it thinned out every 2 months or so.  It definitely helps.  I also use a foam root lifter.  The only way I've found to get good volume is to use that and actually lift the roots as I blow dry my hair.  

Elena92

(0) Hearts

thanks! what product do you use for the root lifter?

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I use styling products from my salon.  It is a brand called Aquage.  I like them because they are light weight and don't leave residue on my hair.  I switched over to their brand when I started having flaking issues from the products I had been using.

carolang

Do you use a leave in conditioner? I like Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in or the Living Proof Nourishing styling cream. Either of these plus a little agave oil makes my hair so soft. Especially when Iblow dry since I used to get that terribly flat limp dry hair look.  

Layers will also help.... But I know I really like my hair to be the same length. In terms of a root booster I've never really seen any effect from a shampoo or mousse. Dry hairspray (I like pssst but you do have to massage in the whitecolor) can help so can those root booster powders, got2b apparently makes one that someone posted about. Apparently they can feel tacky though but thats the cheapest version.

I also sleep in a reverse French braid and it gives me some volume at the top of my hair plus pretty waves.

Elena92

Thank you so much. I do get haircuts every 6 months and in layers especially on the top i go a little shorter.

LindaDD

Seconding lilyy's recommendation. I have a lot of wavy hair and if I let it grow out past my bra band, it starts to weigh itself down and get flat at the crown.

I wash my hair every other day and I use the Amika Obliphica mask every time I do and it's been really great at keeping my hair healthy.

Elena92

Thanks. I've tried getting different haircuts to getting it thinned out and going a little shorter on the top of my crown for more volume.

lilyyy

You need a different haircut. I get my haircut and thinned out several a year. It's similar to layers, but removes thickness so you can finally curl your hair and it'll actually stay.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • lilyyy
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • linda84
    • carolang