THE HAIR THREAD

[ Edited ]

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread Smiley Happy

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

(0) Hearts

Leave-in conditioner recommendations, anyone?

(0) Hearts

@TopazBeth I really really love the it's a 10 miracle leave inSmiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Find a salon that sells Unite products and purchase the 7 Seconds Leave-In Conditioner. Two salons I've worked in have carried this and it's been my go-to for 3 years now. Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

If you're looking for a spray, I love the AG Hair Moisture Conditioning Mist Detangling Spray. If you prefer a cream, the AG Hair Fast Food Leave-On Conditioner is nice as well.

[ Edited ]

I need help! Split ends...mine are really bad.  I don't do anything that should be causing them: I don't use heat and I only semi-permanently dye my hair occasionally.

In the last 5 months, I've gotten 3 haircuts. The most recent one was last week. I cut off about two inches, but I still have split ends. It feels like no matter how much I cut, they're just still there.

I use Redken Extreme Shampoo, Conditioner, and Mask. And, I use oil on my ends after my showers. I've been cutting down on my showers (from everyday to 3-ish times a week).

I feel like I'm doing everything right but my ends are still split!  My hair is soft and has volume, so its only the ends that are a problem.

What can I do?

Edit: I should also mention that I have long, thick, wavy hair...which may be slightly contributing to the split ends...

[ Edited ]

I read the replies, and this is coming from a licensed cosmetologist - I wouldn't purchase any dupes or products from drug stores, places like Marshall's (TJ Max, etc), or Amazon. Any non-professional products I would steer clear from. Drug store products are either mostly wax or water based. Either of these will cause build up, don't fully cleanse AND do not hydrate/replenish/etc (whatever the bottle claims they do). Professional products you find at unofficial retailers are either expired or have a fake label. If they're expired, this means the only active ingredient is the surfactant (what cleans the hair) which only strips, and any other ingredients are defective. 

Brazilian Bond Builder (B3) is a great product that I would recommend to anyone with damage or color treated hair. Salons that carry these shampoos, conditioners and deep conditioners but also provide a service called "Brazilian Bond Builder Demi-Permanent Conditioner". It's almost like a Keratin treatment but less expensive, and is comparable to a demi-permanent color with it's longevity (hence the name). It's of course, not color, but a conditioning treatment that assists in rebonding the disulfide bonds in our hair that's effected by colors, lightener, etc.

Another deep conditioner I love is Unite's 7 Seconds Masque. Again, you would need to find a nearby salon carrier or an official retailer. They also have a vast selection of products that you should also take a look into. They are my favorite hair care brand. 

Hope this helped! Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

I get all of my haircare products at Ulta.  Is Ulta a reliable place to buy haircare from? And what do you think of the brand Redken?

The dupe of Moroccanoil that I mentioned, I believe its actually made from the same factory and most of the ingredients are identical, even the smell and texture of it.

Thank you so much! I will look into those productsSmiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Ulta is most definitely a reliable source! I personally am not a huge fan of Redken, there are better products on the market. To me, I think of redken still as a "professional" drug store brand.

Best of luck! Smiley Happy

if you use semi-permanent dye from a box, in my experience that's been pretty damaging to my hair. 

your hair texture definitely comes in play here... what oil are you using? I'm not familiar with redken so i can't comment if that's contributing or not

definitely shampooing your hair less is going to be better for it! you can still shower and just condition your hair and not shampoo it, too. it will take a long time to have shampooing hair less to affect it (you'll notice it at the roots and see you hair is growing out healthier)

are you putting it up in tight pony tails or buns? that can cause damage. are you brushing it while it is wet?

what are you doing to it at night

every person i know with long hair some sort of split ends (it comes with the length) and myself included. if it bothers you that much you might consider keeping it shorter. @xxsour

(0) Hearts

I was getting it semi-permanently done at Ulta, with Redken Shades EQ. They told me that its good for the hair because it hydrates, but I'm not sure if that's completely true.

For hair oils, in the past few months, I used Moroccanoil's treatment, before that I used One 'n Only Argan Oil treatment (which I heard was an almost exact dupe for Moroccanoil). But now, I am currently using Marrakesh Argan and Hemp Oil.

I don't tie it frequently. And I sometimes brush my hair gently when its wet, but if I don't, I get really bad tangles.

At night is when I use the oil.

ThanksSmiley Happy

[ Edited ]

@xxsour well, i'm sure there are some moisturizers in the hair dye, but it's generally still a chemical and will cause damage to hair 

i don't use those oils, but maybe try coconut oil? it supposedly the only oil that is small enough to get into the hair shaft; i like it and do a mask once a week where i put it in at night and sleep in it.

I meant what do you do with it at night? do you go to sleep wet on it? do you have harsh pillow cases? you might want to get a protective wrap that you can use at night. 

you might want to use a brush that specifically for use on wet hair

that's all the advice i have for you! it sounds like your hair is pretty healthy though! when you want it to look sleek for an event, blow drying with some smoothing product will probably make you like your hair a little more 

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much! I will definitely try coconut oil and a wrap for my hair at nightSmiley Happy!

@xxsour

I would caution you against sleeping with coconut oil in your hair - unless you know for sure your skin does not react to it.

Coconut oil is very reactive to most people.  It can be very pore clogging.  If I were to sleep with it, my face will be a mess.

Try doing a coconut oil mask during the day for 2-3 hours, and wash it off before bed.

(0) Hearts

Good idea. Coconut oil is very messy. ThanksSmiley Happy

Looking for recommendations on a good curling iron.  One that heats up fast and I prefer a clip because I'm afraid I'm too clumsy and will burn myself if I get a wand but I'm open to any suggestions.

@AMK721 i think drybar makes some with detachable clips so you can have a wand and one with a clip

i want to try a harry josh one but they don't have clips

(0) Hearts

Thanks @sierrafallon I talked to my hairstylist and she invited me to come by her salon and she gave me a tutorial on how to use the wands.  It's not as bad as I thought it would be.  Plus most of them come with a glove, so I should be ok with that kind.

I just ordered Josh Rosebrook shampoo and conditioner.  And a Rahua hair mask.

I will try all the things soon hair people!

[ Edited ]

I mentioned in the haul post recently that I picked up some new hair goods at Kiehl's. I wasn't going to start using them until I had finished up what I already had opened but...hahaha. It's a little too early to give an in-depth review but since Kiehl's is having a 25% off sale today I wanted to give a quick update.

My hair feels better, softer and smoother than it has in ages. I can't stop running my hands through it. I must be annoying everyone around me! Here's what I got:

Smoothing Oil-Infused Concentrate: This reminds me of Moroccan Oil. It is fairly silicone-y, which I personally like. For anyone looking for a straight-up oil, this is not it. I love the scent.

Smoothing Oil-Infused Shampoo: Love the smell. Doesn't get super foamy. I ordered two more on sale so I'll be set for a while.

Magic Elixir Hair Restructuring Concentrate: This is the biggest game-changer for me. I've always used hair oils but never anything on my scalp before. After using, it felt like I had "reset" my hair and was starting over all squeaky clean and new. Kind of like what a clarifying shampoo does but...different. (Worst review ever!)

I also use Phyto Thermoperfect 8 Heat Protecting Serum for my ends. 

(PS the Kiehl's code is LOYALTY and is only good for today, 5/17) Smiley Very Happy

(0) Hearts

@starsandbucks i almost got my mother the magic elixir for xmas to put in her stocking. NOW I WISH I HAD ! but i'll remember this as a future 'just because' gift (and maybe fore myself Smiley Wink )

Conversation Stats
Photos50
  • tumblr_ly22g4Etbp1qztdvno1_500.jpg
  • beforeafter.jpg
  • Burgundy.jpg
  • Magenta.jpg
  • Fadedpurple.jpg
  • red2.jpg
  • Photo on 7-1-14 at 11.14 AM.jpg
  • easyred1
  • shaved2.jpg
  • beautsoup