Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

In Fall of 2015, I decided that I was ready to start working on the integrity of my hair so at some point I could go blonde.  Nearly a year later, I started the progress and ended up with some less than complimentary results.

Normally, I'd get impatient and just color my hair back brown and then I'd at some point want to start over.  Rather than doing that this time, I decided to just trust the process.  

I got my hair lightened (yet again) and figured I'd share the before/after pictures!  

Spoiler

upload_7882551250013048819.jpg

Spoiler
upload_4169272852624009311.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler
20170602_182417.jpg

I know the struggle @Nickelliebear1! I don't know if you saw my hair story, but basically it took me years. It can definitely be a struggle to get the hair you want. I hope you're happy with the results! Your hair looks fantastic and is a beautiful blonde! 🙂

Just got a fresh trim this morning and wanted to post a progress pic of the pixie grow-out process.

Spoiler
hair 5-31.JPG

So far, I'm very happy with the progress, and feel like it's growing pretty fast!

I'm trying to add as much moisture as possible during styling to keep it healthy, since I'm using the flat iron more frequently as it gets longer. If any of you have a favorite heat protectant/smoothing product, I'd love suggestions!

Your hair is growing so fast! I love it! I've liked the heat protectant from Phyto the most. My hair felt silky afterwards. 

Leave-in conditioner recommendations, anyone?

RE: Re: THE HAIR THREAD

Verb leave-in spray is amazing! They're a really well priced brand and their products are very effective. I use their leave in spray and have seen a huge difference in breakage and hair health.

i love the Sachajuan leave in conditioner, and madam CJ walker Brassica Seed & Shea Oils Silkening Leave-In @TopazBeth 🙂

@TopazBeth I really really love the it's a 10 miracle leave in:)

@StephaniLynn I just posted about having so-so results with It's a 10.  How do you use it?  It seems to be silicone-free, so what's the special ingredient - protein?

Find a salon that sells Unite products and purchase the 7 Seconds Leave-In Conditioner. Two salons I've worked in have carried this and it's been my go-to for 3 years now. 🙂

@TopazBethI second this, my friend's salon sells it and she's in your area! I'll get you a location.

If you're looking for a spray, I love the AG Hair Moisture Conditioning Mist Detangling Spray. If you prefer a cream, the AG Hair Fast Food Leave-On Conditioner is nice as well.

I need help! Split ends...mine are really bad.  I don't do anything that should be causing them: I don't use heat and I only semi-permanently dye my hair occasionally.

In the last 5 months, I've gotten 3 haircuts. The most recent one was last week. I cut off about two inches, but I still have split ends. It feels like no matter how much I cut, they're just still there.

I use Redken Extreme Shampoo, Conditioner, and Mask. And, I use oil on my ends after my showers. I've been cutting down on my showers (from everyday to 3-ish times a week).

I feel like I'm doing everything right but my ends are still split!  My hair is soft and has volume, so its only the ends that are a problem.

What can I do?

Edit: I should also mention that I have long, thick, wavy hair...which may be slightly contributing to the split ends...

I read the replies, and this is coming from a licensed cosmetologist - I wouldn't purchase any dupes or products from drug stores, places like Marshall's (TJ Max, etc), or Amazon. Any non-professional products I would steer clear from. Drug store products are either mostly wax or water based. Either of these will cause build up, don't fully cleanse AND do not hydrate/replenish/etc (whatever the bottle claims they do). Professional products you find at unofficial retailers are either expired or have a fake label. If they're expired, this means the only active ingredient is the surfactant (what cleans the hair) which only strips, and any other ingredients are defective. 

Brazilian Bond Builder (B3) is a great product that I would recommend to anyone with damage or color treated hair. Salons that carry these shampoos, conditioners and deep conditioners but also provide a service called "Brazilian Bond Builder Demi-Permanent Conditioner". It's almost like a Keratin treatment but less expensive, and is comparable to a demi-permanent color with it's longevity (hence the name). It's of course, not color, but a conditioning treatment that assists in rebonding the disulfide bonds in our hair that's effected by colors, lightener, etc.

Another deep conditioner I love is Unite's 7 Seconds Masque. Again, you would need to find a nearby salon carrier or an official retailer. They also have a vast selection of products that you should also take a look into. They are my favorite hair care brand. 

Hope this helped! 🙂

I get all of my haircare products at Ulta.  Is Ulta a reliable place to buy haircare from? And what do you think of the brand Redken?

The dupe of Moroccanoil that I mentioned, I believe its actually made from the same factory and most of the ingredients are identical, even the smell and texture of it.

Thank you so much! I will look into those products:)

Ulta is most definitely a reliable source! I personally am not a huge fan of Redken, there are better products on the market. To me, I think of redken still as a "professional" drug store brand.

Best of luck! 🙂

Looking for recommendations on a good curling iron.  One that heats up fast and I prefer a clip because I'm afraid I'm too clumsy and will burn myself if I get a wand but I'm open to any suggestions.

I just ordered Josh Rosebrook shampoo and conditioner.  And a Rahua hair mask.

I will try all the things soon hair people!

I mentioned in the haul post recently that I picked up some new hair goods at Kiehl's. I wasn't going to start using them until I had finished up what I already had opened but...hahaha. It's a little too early to give an in-depth review but since Kiehl's is having a 25% off sale today I wanted to give a quick update.

My hair feels better, softer and smoother than it has in ages. I can't stop running my hands through it. I must be annoying everyone around me! Here's what I got:

Smoothing Oil-Infused Concentrate: This reminds me of Moroccan Oil. It is fairly silicone-y, which I personally like. For anyone looking for a straight-up oil, this is not it. I love the scent.

Smoothing Oil-Infused Shampoo: Love the smell. Doesn't get super foamy. I ordered two more on sale so I'll be set for a while.

Magic Elixir Hair Restructuring Concentrate: This is the biggest game-changer for me. I've always used hair oils but never anything on my scalp before. After using, it felt like I had "reset" my hair and was starting over all squeaky clean and new. Kind of like what a clarifying shampoo does but...different. (Worst review ever!)

I also use Phyto Thermoperfect 8 Heat Protecting Serum for my ends. 

(PS the Kiehl's code is LOYALTY and is only good for today, 5/17) 😄

@starsandbucks i almost got my mother the magic elixir for xmas to put in her stocking. NOW I WISH I HAD ! but i'll remember this as a future 'just because' gift (and maybe fore myself 😉 )

Finally making a proper hair post. 

Reader's Digest version: This is my hair today, but in about a week month I'm going to go a little lighter.

Untitled.png

The long story:

Spoiler

I went through a lot to get my hair to where it is today. I first decided I wanted long blonde hair when I was in high school, and at the time my hair was short and red. Not exactly a great starting point. So I did what any rational teenager would do in this situation: I dyed it black.

I kept it black for years and grew it to my waist...but I still wanted blonde. I made a couple of attempts to go from black to blonde (would not recommend), and because I was never happy with the result, I always ended up going back to black. 

Then one day I had some kind of hair-breakdown. I was so fed up with never being happy with my hair, sick of the damage, sick of spending so much $$$ and never being satisfied, and at that moment I swore off dye and decided to just let it all grow out so that I could finally get the blonde hair that I'd wanted for about 5 years.

Growing out black dye took me three painful years. My hair looked awful for most of that time (naturally dirty blonde roots, black length...not a pretty sight). Honestly, it was incredibly hard on my confidence and self-esteem, to the point I haven't even recovered from it. I literally just wanted to hide until the whole process was over. I don't know how I kept myself from reaching for the black dye again, especially through the first year.

This probably seems extreme, but because I know bleaching is hard on hair I wanted my hair to be as healthy and long as possible when I finally went blonde for the first time. For those 3 years I babied my hair like crazy (no heat, no chemicals).

I had initially wanted to wait another year to let my hair get even longer before going blonde, but at the three year mark I couldn't take my appearance anymore and just made an appointment with a highly experienced professional. After putting so much time into growing out my hair I was really terrified to have anyone touch it (too many experiences with scissor-happy stylists), but it felt good to finally be getting the blonde hair I always dreamed of. Or so I thought...

It turned out really yellow. -__- The stylist had warned me that I'd probably need two visits to get it exactly the way I wanted, but I hadn't expected it to be so yellow. But if you haven't realized, I was pretty dang determined to get the blonde hair of my dreams...so I was willing to wait. I used purple shampoo quite a lot and the yellow really toned down. I ended up being pretty happy with the colour as long as I was toning it, so I never actually got it re-done (plus, I was very wary of damage).

I've decided that I do actually want to go lighter, which is what I plan to do this month. I still baby my hair and use minimal heat and do regular treatments to keep it in the best shape possible. Hopefully all goes well. I will be sure to post another pic afterwards. 🙂

So that's my hair story. Only took about 7 years. 😛

3 Replies
testing