Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

I love hair oils, but I have a hard time finding one that works for me. My hair is super fine and prone to getting too greasy and weighed down, but it is also frizzy and slightly dehydrated and needs a little bit of oil for moisturize and control. I have had good results with PTR Oilless Oil (100% squalane) applied to just my ends. I have also recently used May Lindstrom The Good Stuff (in the same way), but I think this is a bit more rich and heavy than is ideal for me.

I really want to try the Reverie oil (and I looooove the packaging and scent), but I tried a tester on the back of my hand and it had the weirdest texture ever... I wonder if that was just because it had been sitting out / exposed to air for too long? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

@Gwenhwyfar ah i'm sorry i just saw this ! weirdest texture ever ? how so ? mine is like a very thin and runny oil. is that what you experienced ?? i'd imagine it is potentially good for your type of hair because it is so thin (the oil that is, not your hair). but it's very potent still so definitely something worth trying if you can get another sample first ?

my hair drinks everything up (except silicones which wreak havoc, i learned after 30ish years......), so i don't always have a good gage on what is heavy 😕

I've been using a hair oil for a few years! My first one was the Ojon rare blend, which was kinda greasy. Then I've used random ones here and there, my latest fav was the Dry Bar 100 proof (been through 3-4 bottles) and I'm just about done a bottle of Verb Ghost oil. I think I'll use up a bottle of Josie Maran Argan Oil Light next.

It's a great last step for me after blow drying to smooth out the cuticle and add some shine 😄

I love hair oils! My hair really love it too! I use ones that have a jojoba or almond base; the porosity of my hair is low (meaning it takes longer for things to sink into my hair) so lighter oils work better than heavy ones that tend to sit on top of my hair. I got a nice one from last month's Beauty Heroes box that I use a lot mixed in with my deep conditioner (hair mask) or use before I shampoo to add a little extra moisture. Ahava used to make a really nice one; I haven't re-purchased it recently, but I do recall really enjoying it.

Jem I love hair oil but I find that certain oils don't really absorb well into my hair and it somehow ends up feeling drier or at least not so smooth after. Argan oil didn't agree with my hair at all (or my skin for that matter). I like the thinner texture and the scent of the Reverie oil, but I still use it in conjunction with a leave-in conditioner. My fave combo is that plus the OI All in One Milk because they smell similar and both work wonderfully.

Note to those with sensitive noses: Both the Reverie Oil and OI All in One Milk have a very herbal scent, which I know is not for everyone.

Yes! I love using oils in my hair to keep my ends hydrated and add some extra shine. Lately, I've just been using a few drops of some multi-purpose oils (JM Argan Oil and Boscia Tsubaki specifically) smoothed through my hair.

I'm very interested to hear how you like the Reverie! Could you describe the smell? I also always want my hair to smell good, so the scent of hair products is important to me too.

@StephanieBT i love the scent but i know a lot of people don't. it's very herbal, smells very similar to aveda stuff. slightly more medicinal. 

i'm noticing more and more hair perfumes lately (hellllllo TOCCA cleopatra, i'm coming for you soon !) so if you happened to hate the smell i think there are some lovely measures you can take to counteract it !

Thank you for the info! I've also been eyeing those Tocca hair perfumes, very good call.

I'm excited to hear how you end up liking the Reverie oil.

I used to really love hair oils, in particular one by Ojon called rare oil blend or something to that effect.  I got lazy and stopped using them when I ran out, and I haven't seen it in stores in years so I'm not sure if it was discontinued.

I tried a different one by Show Beauty that was nice, but more than I wanted to spend on a hair oil so I never ended up repurchasing.  

P I used to use that one too! Was it the tri colored oil? I haven't seen it in a very long time but I remember loving it.

Yup! It was 3 colors and you had to shake it to combine them together 😄

Most fun hair oil ever, LOL.

I used to love shaking it, but I remember that stuff would get all over the bottle because of the way the opening was lol

I got into work early today and while I had the bathroom to myself I took another hair pic because I wasn't even quite sure where my length was at since my last progress pic in November. I guess it hasn't grown as much as I thought. I may be nearing my set-point. Also, my hair grows in a V-shape. Always has. I can never maintain straight-across styles for any length of time.

hair_051017jpg.jpg

My hairdresser told me that the reason my hair was growing in a V shape is due to breakage of the sides from putting it in ponytails and buns so often. Apparently the pulling of those areas causes more weakness than in the back where the hair is just being dragged up. I'm growing out my hair again now after a big chop so it will be interesting to see how that goes without me doing ponytails and buns with elastic bands.

@starsandbucks looks very long to me !!

last time i tried to grow my hair out properly long--well over a decade ago--i remember feeling like i hit a point where it wouldn't grow anymore. but that wasn't even very long ! since i'm growing it out again i'm anxious to see if that happens again...........

Guys, question!

So I really only brush my hair after washing it and putting in some leave in conditioner. Any particular types of brushes you can recommend?

I'm also looking for a good round brush on the rare occasions that I do blow out my hair.

Hi malday,

Since you said you're typically just brushing after washing, have you tried a brush that's made for use on wet hair? I have a friend with gorgeous long hair that reminds me of yours, and she swears by the Tangle Teezer brushes. Also, this one is specifically for brushing wet hair, so it should be just what you need!

Thank you Stephanie! I'll try it out.

51K2Fx9BJUL.jpg

I've never had much rhyme or reason to how I chose my shampoo and conditioner because they all seemed pretty much the same to me, but I picked this stuff up the other day and good grief, what a HUGE, immediate difference it made after the first use! My hair is so much softer and less frizzy than it ever has been before. Two thumbs way up.

I essentially choose my shampoos and conditioner by trial and error haha. Thank goodness for free samples 😛

Thanks for making this thread @jemly! 🙂 

I will eventually get around to making a proper hair story post, but for now I just have a question.

My hair is fairly long, extremely straight, and very silky. It has no volume whatsoever, and couldn't hold a curl if my life depended on it. I used to play around with a lot of products (mousse, hairspray, etc.) but nothing added body/volume to my hair so I gave up trying. I spent a long time growing it out to be healthy, and thus didn't do much of anything to it, but now that I've got it nice and long I'm feeling frustrated with how flat it is.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get volume that actually lasts? I've had the best luck with Bumble and Bumble's Pret-a-Powder, but it still falls flat after a little while. -__-

testing