Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

THE HAIR THREAD

a thread to talk about your hair goals / experiments / fails / wins / products etc. consider this a RANDOM THOUGHTS: HAIR thread 🙂

when i joined BT years ago, i was at the beginning phases of growing out a shaved head, after a decade of cropped pixie cuts and avant garde styles as well as defying my natural texture. my hair is past my shoulders now, and am fully immersed in this world of hair care and styling that i had been absent from for so long. 

this thread can be about anything. thoughts, questions, anecdotes that you feel like sharing but for whatever reason don't want to start an independent thread about. cheers !

Re: THE HAIR THREAD

@Asche Have you by chance tried the Alterna Volume Mist?  My hair is a lot like you described right after I do a keratin treatment and the Alterna spray helps give me some volume and it's the only product that will help my hair hold curls right after keratin.  I spray it all over my damp hair, brush it through, and then either blow dry upside down or with a round brush lifting the hair to get volume at the root.

@kso1225 I haven't tried that, but it had been on my radar. The reviews seemed to be really mixed (from people claiming to have thin/fine hair like mine) so I never actually took the plunge. I'd like to get my hands on a sample of it!

OH! This question would be suitable for here.

Does anyone have a favourite sea salt spray they can recommend?

I've been using Parlor Sea Salt Spray and I really like it for days when I curl my hair. It keeps my curls bouncy and not crunchy, and I swear my hair looks shinier. Unfortunately, Parlor is apparently a Birchbox exclusive and Birchbox no longer ships to Canada 😞

The one con about this product is if I spray a little too much in one area, that area tends to have a powdery residue feeling. For this reason, I'm open to trying a new product rather than requesting help getting the Parlor spray.

@k617  i found a parlour salt spray when i was going through some stuff! PM me your address and i'll send it to you! 🙂

Thank you for offering @unfungirl! I've been using the Mai Tai and it works, I like it better than the Parlour because it doesn't leave a powdery residue. Thanks for thinking of me! 

@k617 You're welcome! I'm glad you found a suitable alternative! I really like the mai tai as well 🙂

Sharing my full(er) story here:

Spoiler

I've always had really thick hair that's pretty coarse. When I was a kid, the hairstylist that my mom took me to would always joke that my hair probably amount to more than the amount that she would cut off from 3 of her clients.

The crappy thing was, I had so much of it that I had to keep it short.My hair was so coarse it actually irritated my neck and gave me severe back-of-neck eczema 😞 But I had to grow it out a bit longer so it would cover my neck. At that awkward length, it scratched on my neck some more. It was a never-ending cycle.

Thankfully as I got older (mid to late teens) my hair became less unruly, and easier to take care of. I grew it out and it went past my shoulders. The eczema finally went away. My hair remained thick but still coarse...and probably a little dry because I was experimenting with hair dye (and a couple of bad home-highlight jobs ha!) 

Throughout the following period, leading up till now, I've always been very boring with my hair. I rarely did anything to it on a daily basis besides wash and blow dry. Because of the climate I live in (low humidity, semi-arid) my hair can't air dry properly and after sleeping on it overnight, it goes flat in places. Thankfully my hair can take daily washings (sometimes I skip the product and just wet my hair to style). I have never worn a braid to work or on a day out (only at the beach) and the first time I wore a bun to work was just a couple of weeks ago. I sometimes curl my hair...usually if I showered the night before (I usually shower in the mornings) and don't want to re-wet my hair to blow dry.

My hair is lovely in humid weather and air dries like a dream. After a night's sleep, it's still acceptable the next morning. Sadly, I call that my "vacation hair".

As I had less and less time, I started going to my stylist for colour. I have naturally black hair, but like to dye it dark brown to give it some more dimension. Oh, and also to cover the greys that I've had since I was 12 or 13.

I've maintained my hair past shoulder length up until 2014, then got tired of it one day and had it cut very short - just above and not quite touching my shoulders. At that point, that last time I had hair that short was probably 8-10 years. This year I've been growing out my hair and it's been at its lifetime longest.

My bangs/part tend to switch from center part no bangs, side part/side-swept bangs to the straight bangs I have now. I've had straight bangs once before, but I tried too hard to keep them perfectly smooth, same length and curled inwards (so high maintenance) whereas I wear it a tiny bit messier now.

Things that really made a difference in my hair:

- switching to sulphate-free shampoo

- finding the right conditioner for my hair (my current fav is Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture conditioner)

- using a hair oil as my last step every day

- my Dyson hair dryer. Worth every penny.

Here are my short term hair goals:

- stop colouring my hair and grow out the treated part

- grow to waist length or past waist length

Long term goal: Once I get it long enough and the treated parts are all gone, I would like to have my hair cut & donated for cancer pateitns...I've always wanted to do it, but couldn't because I dyed my hair. I have quite a ways to go...the dyed portion begins around the top of my ears, I'll probably need another year for that part to get to where my ends are right now.

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

Your hair looks beautiful @k617! It's so sweet that you want to donate. That's really lovely. 🙂

So purty!!! And your long term goal= super sweet and thoughtful!!! ❤️

SO PRETTY, oh my goodness!!!!

IMG_8595.JPG

Okay, so I normally wash my hair every other day, but sometimes I just don't have the time to. This is what my hair looks like after 2 days without washing. It's not terrible, but I can see the greasiness starting to come through. I used a little bit of dry shampoo (Lulu Organics Lavender and Clary Sage scent), but I'm not a fan of that stuff in general because I don't feel it does much for me.

How often do the rest of you tend to wash your hair?

Your hair (and makeup) are stunning!! 😄

I have to wash my hair every day.  I try to take the weekends off hoping I don't run in to anyone. I use only a leave-in conditioner, nothing else, and my hair is flat and oily if I don't shower. Having bangs makes it worse. Wetting them doesn't really do it.  Maybe when I retire I can try the every-other-day routine.

I wonder if you need a lighter leave in? It could also just be your hair type, my coworker has to wash her hair everyday too lol. I feel you on the bangs! Those were always the first thing to get greasy on me when I had them 😞

You always look perfect- how?! ❤️

Haha, I am far from perfect! Makeup and good conditioner help 😛

Your hair looks awesome @malday!

Thank you MrsB!

@malday

You look great!

I wash my hair every third day - on typical days.  I wash sooner if my activities dictate it.  

Thank you!

@malday i see no greasiness, but i'm a slimeball who only washes my hair once a weekish. so my idea of greasiness is maybe....altered.

also...i adore the grown out bangs look. can't wait for mine to get there ! (couple more months ?)

3 Replies
testing